British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   PR application in - can i now travel?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/pr-application-can-i-now-travel-75679/)

Bigman Apr 25th 2002 4:30 pm

PR application in - can i now travel?!

Hi guys ! just a little question....

if I've just put in my application for PR (i haven't so this is hypothetical!) can I
now go travelling for a few months?

what i want to do is get the Oz PR application in and then go to new zealand for a
month or 3. I guess i could get my medicals and police checks done before i left so
no worries there BUT do i have to inform DIMA?? and what happens if i jack my job in
before i go travelling? do you have to keep DIMA informed of everything you do? -
changing jobs, travelling, etc...???

i'm itching to do a bit of travelling before i (hopefully) settle into Oz
!!!

big thank youse

bigman

Jaj Apr 26th 2002 9:00 pm

Re: PR application in - can i now travel?!

You would need to tell them if you intended travelling to Australia. They don't care
if you are travelling anywhere else.

But Michael's point about having a reliable contact point is a good one. These days
they do communicate by email, but whether I'd rely 100% on that is doubtful.

Jeremy

>On 26 Apr 2002 08:57:52 -0700, [email protected] (Michael Morahan) wrote:

>"bigman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Hi guys ! just a little question....
    >>
    >> if I've just put in my application for PR (i haven't so this is hypothetical!) can
    >> I now go travelling for a few months?
    >>
    >> what i want to do is get the Oz PR application in and then go to new zealand for a
    >> month or 3. I guess i could get my medicals and police checks done before i left
    >> so no worries there BUT do i have to inform DIMA?? and what happens if i jack my
    >> job in before i go travelling? do you have to keep DIMA informed of everything you
    >> do? - changing jobs, travelling, etc...???
    >>
    >> i'm itching to do a bit of travelling before i (hopefully) settle into Oz
    >> !!!
    >>
    >> big thank youse
    >>
    >> bigman
    >
    >No you don't have to tell them what you're doing unless it's illegal of course. The
    >only problem with travelling is how are they going to contact you if they need to.
    >DIMIA usually only communicate by post, so e-mail is not much good.
    >
    >Rgds
    >
    >Michael

Bigman Apr 26th 2002 11:30 pm

Re: PR application in - can i now travel?!

cheers for that - i'm not thinking of oz but am considering new zealand for a bit
just to check it out. snowboarding in the south island sounds like a plan !!! it'll
keep my mind off the long wait for PR !!

what about if i change jobs, do i have to tell DIMA about that ?

cheers guys

bigman

"JAJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > You would need to tell them if you intended travelling to Australia. They don't
    > care if you are travelling anywhere else.
    >
    > But Michael's point about having a reliable contact point is a good one. These days
    > they do communicate by email, but whether I'd rely 100% on that is doubtful.
    >
    > Jeremy
    >
    > >On 26 Apr 2002 08:57:52 -0700, [email protected] (Michael
Morahan) wrote:
    >
    > >"bigman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Hi guys ! just a little question....
    > >>
    > >> if I've just put in my application for PR (i haven't so this is hypothetical!)
    > >> can I now go travelling for a few months?
    > >>
    > >> what i want to do is get the Oz PR application in and then go to new
zealand
    > >> for a month or 3. I guess i could get my medicals and police checks
done
    > >> before i left so no worries there BUT do i have to inform DIMA?? and
what
    > >> happens if i jack my job in before i go travelling? do you have to keep
DIMA
    > >> informed of everything you do? - changing jobs, travelling, etc...???
    > >>
    > >> i'm itching to do a bit of travelling before i (hopefully) settle into
Oz
    > >> !!!
    > >>
    > >> big thank youse
    > >>
    > >> bigman
    > >
    > >No you don't have to tell them what you're doing unless it's illegal of course.
    > >The only problem with travelling is how are they going to contact you if they need
    > >to. DIMIA usually only communicate by post, so e-mail is not much good.
    > >
    > >Rgds
    > >
    > >Michael