Wikiposts

Possible Origin of the Word : Pommies

Old Sep 11th 2002, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

hanu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible Origin of the Word : Pommies

Quoted from : http://www.word-detective.com/back-m.html
Poms Ahoy

Various theories about pom have been proposed, including the acronym POHM, standing for Prisoner of His Majesty, supposedly applied to the English prisoners exiled to Australia early in its colonial history. The most logical theory, however, explains the term as an example of rhyming slang, the argot of London s Cockney underworld. Rhyming slang evolved in the 18th century as a private language among thieves and con men to conceal their dealings from the prying ears of the police, and gradually spread throughout the working classes of the entire British Commonwealth, including Australia. The principle of rhyming slang is very simple: pick a word or phrase that rhymes with the word you wish to hide -- thus, apples and pears means stairs, and trouble and strife translates as wife.

Pom, it seems, is almost certainly a second-generation slang word derived from pomegranate, a rhyme with the Australian slang term jimmygrant. "Jimmygrant," it seems, was at one time Australian rhyming slang for immigrant, so "pom" involves a double rhyme. If this seems a lot of trouble to take to come up with a slang term for immigrant, hold onto your hat. My friend Terry tells me that Americans are known in Australia as septics, short for septic tanks. But don t get too riled up -- it s all just slightly tasteless rhyming slang for Yank.
Old Sep 11th 2002, 3:23 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible Origin of the Word : Pommies

From this URL:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?p=dict&String=exact&Acronym=POME

It would seem that "pommie" is a variation of the acronym POME (or the other way round)....

"Prisoner of Mother England" -> pome -> pommie

OTOH, pomme means apple in another language

Peter
Old Sep 11th 2002, 3:50 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hanu:
Quoted from : http://www.word-detective.com/back-m.html
Poms Ahoy

Various theories about pom have been proposed, including the acronym POHM, standing for Prisoner of His Majesty, supposedly applied to the English prisoners exiled to Australia early in its colonial history. The most logical theory, however, explains the term as an example of rhyming slang, the argot of London s Cockney underworld. Rhyming slang evolved in the 18th century as a private language among thieves and con men to conceal their dealings from the prying ears of the police, and gradually spread throughout the working classes of the entire British Commonwealth, including Australia. The principle of rhyming slang is very simple: pick a word or phrase that rhymes with the word you wish to hide -- thus, apples and pears means stairs, and trouble and strife translates as wife.

Pom, it seems, is almost certainly a second-generation slang word derived from pomegranate, a rhyme with the Australian slang term jimmygrant. "Jimmygrant," it seems, was at one time Australian rhyming slang for immigrant, so "pom" involves a double rhyme. If this seems a lot of trouble to take to come up with a slang term for immigrant, hold onto your hat. My friend Terry tells me that Americans are known in Australia as septics, short for septic tanks. But don t get too riled up -- it s all just slightly tasteless rhyming slang for Yank.
Thats very imformative , trying to work out what my last name means now .Maybe you help the locals seem keen on it , some even call me by full name .
Any ideas what is slang for Aussie , tried tosser , inbred , convict , even skippy still trying to find apt name please help I like to be friendly just as much as your avarage Aussie.
Old Sep 11th 2002, 6:22 pm
Robert Edwards

pom. abbreviation of pomegranate, rhyming slang immigrant

Old Sep 11th 2002, 10:31 pm
Chr!5 M8wn

Pom derives from Prisoner of Mother England - Americans are known as sepos (sceptic
tank - yank) Meditarian and Some middle eastern over here in aus are known as Wog's -
which it what the Chinese were originally known as in the early days of australia -
because it stands for Wealthy Oriental Gentlemen - although i have also heard WOG
came from the greek immigrants that were "Workers Of the Government"..

mmmm

Chris

"hanu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Quoted from : http://www.word-det-
    > ective.com/back-m.html
     Poms Ahoy
    > Various theories about pom have been proposed, including the acronym POHM, standing
    > for Prisoner of His Majesty, supposedly applied to the English prisoners exiled to
    > Australia early in its colonial history. The most logical theory, however, explains
    > the term as an example of rhyming slang, the argot of London s Cockney underworld.
    > Rhyming slang evolved in the 18th century as a private language among thieves and
    > con men to conceal their dealings from the prying ears of the police, and gradually
    > spread throughout the working classes of the entire British Commonwealth, including
    > Australia. The principle of rhyming slang is very simple: pick a word or phrase
    > that rhymes with the word you wish to hide -- thus, apples and pears means stairs,
    > and trouble and strife translates as wife.
    > Pom, it seems, is almost certainly a second-generation slang word derived from
    > pomegranate, a rhyme with the Australian slang term jimmygrant. "Jimmygrant," it
    > seems, was at one time Australian rhyming slang for immigrant, so "pom" involves a
    > double rhyme. If this seems a lot of trouble to take to come up with a slang term
    > for immigrant, hold onto your hat. My friend Terry tells me that Americans are
    > known in Australia as septics, short for septic tanks. But don t get too riled up
    > -- it s all just slightly tasteless rhyming slang for Yank.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 12th 2002, 2:42 am
Thunder Ace

"cHr!5 M8Wn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > Pom derives from Prisoner of Mother England - Americans are known as sepos (sceptic
    > tank - yank) Meditarian and Some middle eastern over here in aus are known as Wog's
    > - which it what the Chinese were originally known as in the early days of australia
    > - because it stands for Wealthy Oriental Gentlemen - although i have also heard WOG
    > came from the greek immigrants that were "Workers Of the Government"..
As the TV presenter Jonathan Woss might say, "A wog is wump of wood".

Thunder Ace

Old Sep 12th 2002, 8:00 am
Robert Edwards

Rob Smiles "Thunder Ace" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b7718317.0209120642.7c178e2-
[email protected]
    > "cHr!5 M8Wn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>. ..

> As the TV presenter Jonathan Woss might say, "A wog is wump of wood".
    > Thunder Ace