Is it possible to extend a PR Visa

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is it possible to extend a PR Visa

Hi all, I am after a little advice as this might decide if I return to Australia or not.

I have a PR visa that runs out in September, I have just been offered a position in a company that starts in July/August, so thats all good. But here is where the problem arises our daughter is coming up to her last year at school and is predicted to get all A's in her exams, so we don't want to move her now. My question is if I was to go what would the situation be for the rest of my family? as their PR visa would then be expired, is there any way of extending a PR visa or is it really just a no go.

I have make a decision by next Monday, so any experience or knowledge would be really gratefully received.

Thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:22 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to extend a PR Visa

Originally Posted by edie209
Hi all, I am after a little advice as this might decide if I return to Australia or not.

I have a PR visa that runs out in September, I have just been offered a position in a company that starts in July/August, so thats all good. But here is where the problem arises our daughter is coming up to her last year at school and is predicted to get all A's in her exams, so we don't want to move her now. My question is if I was to go what would the situation be for the rest of my family? as their PR visa would then be expired, is there any way of extending a PR visa or is it really just a no go.

I have make a decision by next Monday, so any experience or knowledge would be really gratefully received.

Thanks
Probably bets in the visas forum but here's my non expert tupence worth.
You can go obviously as log as prior to September. Your family will have to apply for an RRV, or residents return visa. You shoud look at diac site for. Formation n this. I haven't looked for a while but to get the debate going ......you here could be conflicting issues.
You have to show substantial ties to Australia to get one. You can even though you don't need one if you live here, your family might be able to - the substantial tie being you but the fact you haven't lived there for 4 years is definitely going to go against you.
Will depend if you can give a good reason why you haven't lived here and suspect no job won't wash it.
As I say there a plenty on here far more experienced than I who can offer better advice but my ne'er standing is this is going to be a tough one.
Good luck.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to the Immi forum

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...Visa-Australia for more info
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at your previous posts, you seem to have arrived in Australia in about August 2011 and left again in March 2012. Is that right?

With a job, you will stand a good chance of getting a RRV once you are settled (or even before then), but it will only be a 1 year one. Once you have one, your family should qualify for RRVs too, either on the basis of you being the head of the family (in which case they will be valid to the same date as yours) or in their own right, as you will be their tie to Australia, in which case theirs will be valid for a year from grant. Theirs will probably be fairly easy to renew as you will still be their tie in a year's time.

Once you have been in Australia for 2 years, including the time in 2011 and 2012, you will be entitled to a 5 year RRV.

If I was you, I would apply for a RRV now - immediately - on the basis of your job offer and explaining your circumstances and that you need the certainty of the RRV before you can accept the job (indicating the urgency). There's a good chance you will have an answer before next Monday.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you so Louie for that information

Do I understand you correctly in that as long as I am in Australia my wife and family would have a tie and therefore would qualify for the RRV.
Edit I have been looking on the immi website and that does seem to be the case however I can't find an email do I have to phone them? not that I mind if that gets everthing sorted out.

Oh and thanks to the other guys for answering.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edie209
Do I understand you correctly in that as long as I am in Australia my wife and family would have a tie and therefore would qualify for the RRV.
No guarantees, but normally, yes. As long as you can demonstrate you are still together (i.e. not separated).

Details of how to apply for a RRV whilst in the UK here - http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/immi_rrv.html. It says processing time is 7 working days, but from my own experience and from reading other people's posts on here, it is usually quicker than that.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Dann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really nice

This is exactly the question I logged on tonight to ask!!!

Our PR visa runs out in October and we have 2 daughters at very good schools, my eldest finishes her GCSEs in July and my youngest still has a year to go. We feel the girls would be in a much better position if we could extend the visa by a year or if I could go on my own and the family follow later next July.

Any help would be great.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dann2000
This is exactly the question I logged on tonight to ask!!!

Our PR visa runs out in October and we have 2 daughters at very good schools, my eldest finishes her GCSEs in July and my youngest still has a year to go. We feel the girls would be in a much better position if we could extend the visa by a year or if I could go on my own and the family follow later next July.

Any help would be great.
As with the poster above you, if you move over and settle then the rest of the family have a good chance of a year's RRV to enable them to move. Have a read of the link I posted above and the related info on RRV on www.immi.gov.au
Its not an extension to the visa. Your PR visa still exists in that you still have the right to live in Australia permanently. Its the right to travel that expires, and if you are outside Aus at the time you can't travel back - thats basically what the RRV gives you, the right to travel.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Dann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As with the poster above you, if you move over and settle then the rest of the family have a good chance of a year's RRV to enable them to move. Have a read of the link I posted above and the related info on RRV on www.immi.gov.au
Its not an extension to the visa. Your PR visa still exists in that you still have the right to live in Australia permanently. Its the right to travel that expires, and if you are outside Aus at the time you can't travel back - thats basically what the RRV gives you, the right to travel.
Thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

one more question, would my wife have to apply for RRV back to back with the original PR Visa or can the right to travel lapse and she apply when she is ready to make the move.

thanks for your help
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can apply at any time, either before your re-entry permit runs out or any time after. Don't travel to Australia after the expiry date without getting a RRV though (ie on a tourist visa) as you run the risk of having the visa cancelled as the tourist visa would supersede the permanent one.