Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Poms are a funny lot...someone help..Please

Poms are a funny lot...someone help..Please

Old Aug 30th 2002, 9:28 pm
Ok Thats Me

Default Poms are a funny lot...someone help..Please

Hi all

I spent 12 months Living in the UK....trying to get used to it all was a bit of a
struggle.....

I have a question to all UK folk...

Why is it that you wash your dishes in a plastic tub that sits in the kitchen sink
??????.....The rest of the world just puts a plug in the sink.....not one UK dweller
that I asked could answer this question.......Does any one know ??????

Muzza

Old Aug 31st 2002, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Poms are a funny lot...someone help..Please

Personally I use the plug ... no plastic bowl so I cant answer that question

Yvonne

14 days til we leave, 16 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by Ok Thats Me:
Hi all

I spent 12 months Living in the UK....trying to get used to it all was a bit of a
struggle.....

I have a question to all UK folk...

Why is it that you wash your dishes in a plastic tub that sits in the kitchen sink
??????.....The rest of the world just puts a plug in the sink.....not one UK dweller
that I asked could answer this question.......Does any one know ??????

Muzza
Old Aug 31st 2002, 1:00 am
Robert Edwards

Rob just smiles

"Ok thats me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    > I spent 12 months Living in the UK....trying to get used to it all was a
bit
    > of a struggle.....
    > I have a question to all UK folk...
    > Why is it that you wash your dishes in a plastic tub that sits in the kitchen sink
    > ??????.....The rest of the world just puts a plug in the sink.....not one UK
    > dweller that I asked could answer this question.......Does any one know ??????
    > Muzza

Old Aug 31st 2002, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Not everyone uses a washing up bowl. Seems a stupid idea to me too. I've lived in UK all my life and have never used a bowl.

More importantly ....

... Why do you Australians use top loader washing machines and then fill them with cold water ????? We used to use top loaders in the UK in the 1950s and 1960s before modern washing machines were invented. But even then we used HOT water !!!

Oh, and don't tell me that cold filled top loaders are better because I've had my clothes washed in them when in Oz and they smell just the same when they come out as when they go in.
Old Aug 31st 2002, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

>1]> Why is it that you wash your dishes in a plastic tub that sits in the kitchen sink[/q1]
    > dweller that I asked could answer this question.......Does any one know ??????
    > Muzza
[/QUOTE] <

that made me laugh, my whole family does that, reckon it saves them from chipping the dishes!!.

Here we have a dishwasher, which nobody can bother to load properly so they usually come out smashed anyway.

My question. Lots of the English ladies here are looking forward to sitting outside on the Ausralian evenings looking at their gardens, while sipping wine. Now as its dark here at 5pm ish in winter and 7pm ish in summer how will they do this?. All I do at 7pm here is run like hell inside to stop the mozzies from attacking me.
Old Aug 31st 2002, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thing that I cannot admit to doing or even wanting to do *shrug* I think I must either not be British or not be a female *shrug* hey ho another mystery

Yvonne

14 days til we leave, 16 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by dotty:
>1]> Why is it that you wash your dishes in a plastic tub that sits in the kitchen sink[/q1]
    > Muzza
<

that made me laugh, my whole family does that, reckon it saves them from chipping the dishes!!.

Here we have a dishwasher, which nobody can bother to load properly so they usually come out smashed anyway.

My question. Lots of the English ladies here are looking forward to sitting outside on the Ausralian evenings looking at their gardens, while sipping wine. Now as its dark here at 5pm ish in winter and 7pm ish in summer how will they do this?. All I do at 7pm here is run like hell inside to stop the mozzies from attacking me. [/QUOTE]
Old Aug 31st 2002, 6:56 am
Paul Prescott

Yvonne

Still waiting to here if we will be able to move to Adelaide. Just wanted to say good
luck with your move and hope everything goes well.

mprescott

"ywoods" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Personally I use the plug ... no plastic bowl so I cant answer that question
    > Yvonne
    > 14 days til we leave, 16 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE
    > Originally posted by Ok Thats Me:
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I spent 12 months Living in the UK....trying to get used to it all was a bit of a
    > > struggle.....
    > >
    > > I have a question to all UK folk...
    > >
    > > Why is it that you wash your dishes in a plastic tub that sits in the kitchen
    > > sink ??????.....The rest of the world just puts a plug in the sink.....not one UK
    > > dweller that I asked could answer this question.......Does any one know ??????
    > >
    > > Muzza
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 31st 2002, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Paul Prescott:
Yvonne

Still waiting to here if we will be able to move to Adelaide. Just wanted to say good
luck with your move and hope everything goes well.

mprescott

"ywoods" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Personally I use the plug ... no plastic bowl so I cant answer that question
    > Yvonne
    > 14 days til we leave, 16 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE
    > Originally posted by Ok Thats Me:
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I spent 12 months Living in the UK....trying to get used to it all was a bit of a
    > > struggle.....
    > >
    > > I have a question to all UK folk...
    > >
    > > Why is it that you wash your dishes in a plastic tub that sits in the kitchen
    > > sink ??????.....The rest of the world just puts a plug in the sink.....not one UK
    > > dweller that I asked could answer this question.......Does any one know ??????
    > >
    > > Muzza
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

We need somewhere to wash our knickers out and its not very hygienic to use the sink now is it!!!!!!!

donna
Old Aug 31st 2002, 8:36 am
Rob

In <[email protected]> Ok thats me wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I spent 12 months Living in the UK....trying to get used to it all was a bit of a
    > struggle.....
    > Why is it that you wash your dishes in a plastic tub that sits in the kitchen sink

I don't use a plastic tub, but my parents do. I think it's an old habit that some
find hard to drop. I suspect it's just a case of there being no bathrooms in UK
houses decades ago, and if the only sink in the house was full of unwashed dishes,
then one couldn't use the sink for anything else. With a plastic bowl, the dirty
plates could be lifted out of the way.

Countries with larger houses, with more space for more sinks wouldn't have needed to
fall into this habit.

Old Aug 31st 2002, 9:32 am
Helle Hansen

Hi Muzza,

I wonder what you mean by "the rest of the world" - in many countries in Western
mainland Europe, I assume Britain is considered part of Europe, people also use a
plastic tub - why I'm not sure.

Helle
    > ??????.....The rest of the world just puts a plug in the sink..... Muzza

Old Aug 31st 2002, 11:07 am
Jez

You know you are SO right! My aussie girlfriend couldn't work it out either - why we
wash up using a plastic bowl in a sink. I cannot work it out either. I use a bowl as
well by the way. The only explanation I can offer is that it saves water and we are
all for conservation here you see. Honest. Really. Jez.

"Ok thats me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    > I spent 12 months Living in the UK....trying to get used to it all was a
bit
    > of a struggle.....
    > Muzza

Old Aug 31st 2002, 12:38 pm
Nigel Whitaker

>>>>> "Jez" == Jez <[email protected]> writes:

Jez> You know you are SO right! My aussie girlfriend couldn't work it out either
Jez> - why we wash up using a plastic bowl in a sink. I cannot work it out
Jez> either. I use a bowl as well by the way.

Your half way through the washing up and you discover a half empty cup of coffee, or
even worse, jug of gravy... with a bowl in the sink you can pour the offending goo
down the gap between the bowl & sink rather than polute the washing up water.

I suspect the bowl is useful if:

1 You don't have one of the modern 1 1/2 bowl sink thingys, I use the 1/2 bowl
bit for goo disposal 2 You are not super-organized and have a phase of preparing
your washing up beforehand

One day I'll own a dishwashing machine and won't even have to consider the intricate
details of washing up!

Cheers,

Nige

Old Aug 31st 2002, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty:
    > Muzza
<

My question. Lots of the English ladies here are looking forward to sitting outside on the Ausralian evenings looking at their gardens, while sipping wine. Now as its dark here at 5pm ish in winter and 7pm ish in summer how will they do this?. All I do at 7pm here is run like hell inside to stop the mozzies from attacking me. [/QUOTE]

Well we have a dish washer too, but my mom still uses a plastic bowl because
1, it takes to much hot water to fill the sink
2, crockery does get chipped
3, when we were little nipper's she'd take out the washing bowl and sit us in the sink to give us a wash (yyyeeeewwwwkkk) yea I know what a childhood I must have had!

I am English (would'nt say I'm a lady tho) just a bird to most English men, can't say I'm looking forward to sitting outside sipping wine, more like having a barbi Glupping wine LOL whilst my hubby does the cooking !

Julie
(Adelaide by April 2003)
Old Aug 31st 2002, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

geehaf is an unknown quantity at this point

My thoughts exactly....How many times have I turned around when washing up only to "find" the roasting tray ful of crap and need to empty it before washing. Of course I could always plan my washing up but that is a little too organised (apart from doing glasses first or course!).

See we're not that mad afterall!

Geehaf
Your half way through the washing up and you discover a half empty cup of coffee, or
even worse, jug of gravy... with a bowl in the sink you can pour the offending goo
down the gap between the bowl & sink rather than polute the washing up water.

I suspect the bowl is useful if:

1 You don't have one of the modern 1 1/2 bowl sink thingys, I use the 1/2 bowl
bit for goo disposal 2 You are not super-organized and have a phase of preparing
your washing up beforehand

One day I'll own a dishwashing machine and won't even have to consider the intricate
details of washing up!

Cheers,

Nige
Old Aug 31st 2002, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi guys

Yes I know I'm not supposed to be on here but hey..what can I say I'm addicted and plugged in my mates computer at the house we're staying in until we leave

Anyway, for those of you who might be interested in what the Aussies find weird about the uk check this out...PML:

http://www.thisisparramatta.com/ozinengland2/

love sophia xxx

18 days left!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.