Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Poms are a funny lot...someone help..Please

Poms are a funny lot...someone help..Please

Old Aug 31st 2002, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Ianha77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Poms are a funny lot...someone help..Please

Originally posted by Ok Thats Me:
Hi all

I spent 12 months Living in the UK....trying to get used to it all was a bit of a
struggle.....

I have a question to all UK folk...

Why is it that you wash your dishes in a plastic tub that sits in the kitchen sink
??????.....The rest of the world just puts a plug in the sink.....not one UK dweller
that I asked could answer this question.......Does any one know ??????

Muzza
I have to use a bowl cause i have no plug for my hole !
Old Sep 1st 2002, 6:49 am
Sparklebug

Now that's really disturbed me when I have lived in the UK too ... Underneath the
platic bowl is invariably really slimey and yucky and I think the whole concept is
really quite revolting - plus there's always a plastic bowl in the way somewhere in
the kitchen! Apparently it's also bad because you have less water than you might if
you used the whole sink plus it doesn't stay as hot, so there is more chance of
things not being cleaned properly and people subsequently getting food poisoning.

Nobody has been able to tell me why it is either, apart from one person who said it
was because he'd lost the plug for the sink, but that doesn't account for all the
other people who do it, unless they all just copied him!

bug x

"Ok thats me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    > I spent 12 months Living in the UK....trying to get used to it all was a
bit
    > of a struggle.....
    > I have a question to all UK folk...
    > Why is it that you wash your dishes in a plastic tub that sits in the kitchen sink
    > ??????.....The rest of the world just puts a plug in the sink.....not one UK
    > dweller that I asked could answer this question.......Does any one know ??????
    > Muzza

Old Sep 1st 2002, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Tatiana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ianha77:

I have to use a bowl cause i have no plug for my hole !
Could not you buy it?
Old Sep 1st 2002, 10:41 am
Dave

This was what my girlfriend and I argued about when I moved in to her flat in England. She says its so she can pour tea away in the sink when the dishes are in the bowl.
Since we got to Oz she seems to have accepted that we don't need one here in Oz ( as we only drink beer and wine now)but there's still an underlying tension between us about it. Otherwise life's great.

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 4:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by etlniwd:
Not everyone uses a washing up bowl. Seems a stupid idea to me too. I've lived in UK all my life and have never used a bowl.

More importantly ....

... Why do you Australians use top loader washing machines and then fill them with cold water ????? We used to use top loaders in the UK in the 1950s and 1960s before modern washing machines were invented. But even then we used HOT water !!!

Oh, and don't tell me that cold filled top loaders are better because I've had my clothes washed in them when in Oz and they smell just the same when they come out as when they go in.

I think it's only britain, and maybe some other european countries (?) which uses front loaders. I think it's for the reason because most houses in Britain have the washing machine in the kitchen, so the washing machine is fitted into the kitchen (fitted kitchen) - giving it a flush look.

Australia and asia have laundry rooms - we do not put a washing machine in the kitchen (un -hygenic practice to have a washing machine in a food place) - hence we do not need a front loading washing machine. As for cold water, my top loader is connected to the hot water.

P.S - I'm a Brit in Aus.. But I do think it's because of the difference in having a Laundry room and not having one.

Cheers.

P.S - plastic bowls - stops the sink being scratched, also use less water. I thought that was the obvious reason
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 4:37 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ok Thats Me:
Hi all

I spent 12 months Living in the UK....trying to get used to it all was a bit of a
struggle.....

I have a question to all UK folk...

Why is it that you wash your dishes in a plastic tub that sits in the kitchen sink
??????.....The rest of the world just puts a plug in the sink.....not one UK dweller
that I asked could answer this question.......Does any one know ??????

Muzza
Can you tell me why you can buy same bowels in Australia?
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 4:41 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by etlniwd:
Not everyone uses a washing up bowl. Seems a stupid idea to me too. I've lived in UK all my life and have never used a bowl.

More importantly ....

... Why do you Australians use top loader washing machines and then fill them with cold water ????? We used to use top loaders in the UK in the 1950s and 1960s before modern washing machines were invented. But even then we used HOT water !!!

Oh, and don't tell me that cold filled top loaders are better because I've had my clothes washed in them when in Oz and they smell just the same when they come out as when they go in.
Easy one that Australia is a backward country , only just last couple of years started selling front loaders .Takes a long time time for these ex cons to catch on.
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 4:54 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Ok... here's one that really gets me... Why do Australians water their lawns all the time only to have to mow it again? especially in the summer... mowing the lawn in 30 odd degree heat! Creating work for themselves.

And not only that... I've seen people standing with a hose pipe watering their gardens in the rain! seriously... There's a "grass" problem here... I just don't get it .

Cheers
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 5:29 am
Banned

Originally posted by Ceri:
Ok... here's one that really gets me... Why do Australians water their lawns all the time only to have to mow it again? especially in the summer... mowing the lawn in 30 odd degree heat! Creating work for themselves.

And not only that... I've seen people standing with a hose pipe watering their gardens in the rain! seriously... There's a "grass" problem here... I just don't get it .

Cheers
Not realy just a brain cell one , some have not even caught onto the fact water costs money and some states dont have enought of it.
Green grass has snob value , brick pavers are the way to go then again watering the lawn is the only enjoyment some get here.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Sep 2nd 2002 at 6:53 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 11:22 am
Chris

"etlniwd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Not everyone uses a washing up bowl. Seems a stupid idea to me too. I've lived in
    > UK all my life and have never used a bowl.
    > More importantly ....
    > ... Why do you Australians use top loader washing machines and then fill them with
    > cold water ????? We used to use top loaders in the UK in the 1950s and 1960s before
    > modern washing machines were invented. But even then we used HOT water !!!

a) Top loaders are cheaper,
b) Cold water is just as good, and saves a heap on electricity.

But hang on... a lot of Aussies I know use HOT water... I thought I was a bit of an
odd-ball for using cold???

> Oh, and don't tell me that cold filled top loaders are better because I've had my
    > clothes washed in them when in Oz and they smell just the same when they come out
    > as when they go in.

Hang them in the sun.

Chris

> --
    > nick
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 11:25 am
Chris

"dotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Here we have a dishwasher, which nobody can bother to load properly so they usually
    > come out smashed anyway.

Sounds like a cheapo dishwasher. If you buy a decent one they clean much better than
a hand and sponge does.

> My question. Lots of the English ladies here are looking forward to sitting
    > outside on the Ausralian evenings looking at their gardens, while sipping wine.
    > Now as its dark here at 5pm ish in winter and 7pm ish in summer how will they
    > do this?

That's easy. In winter, sit out at 5pm. In summer sit out at 7pm. In spring and
autumn, sit out at 6pm.

> All I do at 7pm here is run like hell inside to stop the mozzies from
    > attacking me.

Yeah, though that depends on where you live. I've lived on ex-swamp
developments, and mozzies are everywhere. We now live on a hill and only a few
are round in summer.

Chris

> --

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 12:10 pm
Thunder Ace

"Sparklebug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > Now that's really disturbed me when I have lived in the UK too ... Underneath the
    > platic bowl is invariably really slimey and yucky and I think the whole concept is
    > really quite revolting - plus there's always a plastic bowl in the way somewhere in
    > the kitchen! Apparently it's also bad because you have less water than you might
    > if you used the whole sink plus it doesn't stay as hot, so there is more chance of
    > things not being cleaned properly and people subsequently getting food poisoning.
    > Nobody has been able to tell me why it is either, apart from one person who said it
    > was because he'd lost the plug for the sink, but that doesn't account for all the
    > other people who do it, unless they all just copied him!
    > bug x

Okay, having no plug is one very good reason, top marks there but get this. In my
house we have a dishwasher and double sink so no reason whatever for a plastic bowl.
There is however this wire tray thing that came with the sink. It's got four little
legs that raise it about an inch above the bottom of the sink so you have to put in
extra water if you leave it in when washing up the saucepans that the missus won't
let you put in the dishwasher. I used to take the frame out to save water but my wife
insists I leave it in 'cos it makes the worktop look untidy. It's got to be the most
useless accessory I've ever seen in a Kitchen. Why the Hell is it there? And what's
more while I'm at it, if I'm willing to wash the suacepans, why can't I just be left
to do it without the ritual humiliation of being directed by the wife. Same goes when
I do the ironing, I'm sick of it I tell you, when I get to Oz there'll be big
changes, you just wait and see!

Thunder Ace

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 1:49 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Thunder Ace,

So the wife doesn't read your posts then ?

Cheers,
Paul.
22 days to go, Melbourne here we come.

Originally posted by Thunder Ace:
And what's
more while I'm at it, if I'm willing to wash the suacepans, why can't I just be left
to do it without the ritual humiliation of being directed by the wife. Same goes when
I do the ironing, I'm sick of it I tell you, when I get to Oz there'll be big
changes, you just wait and see!

Thunder Ace
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

HAHAHHAHA I think there would be hell to pay if she does!!!!!

22 days huh.. try 12 and pooping miself!

Yvonne

12 days til we leave, 14 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by pread:
Thunder Ace,

So the wife doesn't read your posts then ?

Cheers,
Paul.
22 days to go, Melbourne here we come.
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 4:06 pm
Kennyboy

I,m a chippy trying to "do up" my place before we go..... I've got no sink!!!!

Has anyone seen the four yorkshire men sketch by Monty Python 'cos I reckon this is
heading that way!!

"Ianha77" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Ok Thats Me:
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I spent 12 months Living in the UK....trying to get used to it all was a bit of a
    > > struggle.....
    > >
    > > I have a question to all UK folk...
    > >
    > > Why is it that you wash your dishes in a plastic tub that sits in the kitchen
    > > sink ??????.....The rest of the world just puts a plug in the sink.....not one UK
    > > dweller that I asked could answer this question.......Does any one know ??????
    > >
    > > Muzza
    > >
    > I have to use a bowl cause i have no plug for my hole !
    > --