676 Granted - Confusing Conditions! Help!

Old Oct 24th 2009, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

saboo has a spectacular aura aboutsaboo has a spectacular aura aboutsaboo has a spectacular aura about
Default 676 Granted - Confusing Conditions! Help!

Hey everyone

I've just been granted my 676 (thankfully) but have a few quick questions:

* It says my visa is valid until 24/10/10 - does that mean I can only remain in Australia until that date OR that I can start my 12-month stay up until 24/10/10 (this time next year)? I'm hoping so because I don't get there until 24th Dec and need to stay as long as possible really.

* What does "8503 No further stay" actually mean? Does it mean that I can't stay longer than 12 months on this visa - or that I can't apply for any other tourist visas? Could I still get the standard 3-month ETA if I, say, left for NZ on the 23rd Dec 2010 (when this one expires) and then applied to come back to Australia for 3 months from NZ on a new ETA?

Obviously hoping my visa with you guys comes through sooner than 2011 - but need to know all of my options!

Here is my message from the immi.gov site:

Your visa is valid until: 24/10/2010
You are allowed to make: Multiple entries to and from Australia during the validity of your visa
Your period of stay is: 12 months stay on each arrival
Conditions attached to your visa: 8205 - X-ray if study greater than 4 weeks

8201 - Maximum 3 months study

8101 - No work

8503 - No further stay

Thanks a mil
Ross
Old Oct 24th 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 676 Granted - Confusing Conditions! Help!

Hi Ross

The condition does not necessarily mean what it says - it does not prevent furthe rstays being granted to you in Australia but it prevents you applying for just about any othe rvisa while you remain in Australia. It also allows yo uto stay up to 2 years in Australia. What you do is (if you need to), arrive 24th December 2009 for stay until 24th December 2010. Then, before it expires, depart to NZ for a holiday in early October and return to Australia before the travel portion of the visa expires - you then have a further 12 months stay until October 2011. You would not be able to re-enter Australia shoudl ypo uleave again after 24th October 2010 but the Australia noffice will usually give you a multiple re-entry visa valid to October 2011 if teh yare happy you are not working.

Regards

Tony Coates
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by welshtony
Hi Ross

The condition does not necessarily mean what it says - it does not prevent furthe rstays being granted to you in Australia but it prevents you applying for just about any othe rvisa while you remain in Australia. It also allows yo uto stay up to 2 years in Australia. What you do is (if you need to), arrive 24th December 2009 for stay until 24th December 2010. Then, before it expires, depart to NZ for a holiday in early October and return to Australia before the travel portion of the visa expires - you then have a further 12 months stay until October 2011. You would not be able to re-enter Australia shoudl ypo uleave again after 24th October 2010 but the Australia noffice will usually give you a multiple re-entry visa valid to October 2011 if teh yare happy you are not working.

Regards

Tony Coates
Hi Ross,

While Tony's advise is absolutely accurate, it may look a bit confusing. Just to clarify:

- You can freely travel in and out of Australia within the validity period of the visa (up to and including 24/10/10)
- Upon EACH arrival you can stay for a period of 12 months (the time frame gets reset each time you re-enter the country)
- Condition 8503 prevents you to lodge for any other substansive visa whilst you remain in Australia, but you can lodge for new visa's outside of the country.

So indeed you can use the 676 for a stay up to 2 years. Leave and return to Australia shortly before its date for entry expires to allow for another 12 monts as Tony described above.

I understand from your post that you already lodged for another visa so this will most likely not apply to you. I had to travel to NZ to lodge my VE175.

Note DIAC sometimes interviews people at the airport to establish that you are a 'genuine visitor'.

Cheers,
Sylvia
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sylvia

Much more clearly put - not many Welsh to English translators out there.

Regards

Tony
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

saboo has a spectacular aura aboutsaboo has a spectacular aura aboutsaboo has a spectacular aura about

Hey guys

Not only have you cleared it all up for me, but you've also given me some amazing news! A 24-month stay will make it all easy for me!

But just to clear this up - I'm mid way through a Independent Skilled visa - 175 which I submitted in April. I'm still awaiting a CO - will this visa impact that? I understand that the conditions at the time of submitting are what matters - but thought I should clear it up. I guess I will just have to be offshore when it is granted?

Cheers
Ross
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by saboo
Hey guys

Not only have you cleared it all up for me, but you've also given me some amazing news! A 24-month stay will make it all easy for me!

But just to clear this up - I'm mid way through a Independent Skilled visa - 175 which I submitted in April. I'm still awaiting a CO - will this visa impact that? I understand that the conditions at the time of submitting are what matters - but thought I should clear it up. I guess I will just have to be offshore when it is granted?

Cheers
Ross
Hi Ross

The 175 application is totally independent and, as yo usay, just requires you to be outside Australia when the yare ready to grant the 175.

Regards

Tony
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:57 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that for your second 12 month stint you will probably be asked a few questions on re-entry. If immigration think that you are 'living' in Australia on a tourist visa they may not be too impressed. You need to be a genuine tourist (not living in one place, not working - under any circumstances, have sufficient funds to support yourself - at least $250 per week, return ticket or funds to buy one, insurance etc.).

If they don't think you are a 'tourist' - they may not allow entry. Something to be aware of at least.

Good luck!