Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Police Clearance Certificates: Problems getting a South African one

Police Clearance Certificates: Problems getting a South African one

Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice
Default Re: Police Clearance Certificates: Problems getting a South African one

Originally Posted by vlooi
Try dkp investigations as advised by somebody else; we used them and they were excellent! Good luck!
Not sure how I missed them but does anyone know how much they charge? I have sent an email enquiry but haven't heard anything yet?

Thanks.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

VickyMel is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe try emailing bunnyhop too - they came back to me very quickly and I have heard good reports about them.
[email protected]

Re one of your earlier posts yesterday I don't think the Police Clearance do a walk in service - you could hand deliver but I think you would still have the 28 day wait (which sounds as if in reality it is a 8 week wait).

If you can get fingerprints done and sent it to SA. I think you mentioned you had relatives in SA - it may be possible for them to take it in for you. I understand the office is in Pretoria.

Alternatively it sounds as if PostNet offer a courier service where your relatives could take it to the local PostNet they deliver and collect and would ring your relatives to collect from local PostNet again...

It sounds like it takes 2 months at the moment (for people applying in SA).

We are going to be doing it soon I am in South Africa and think I will be still use PostNet just to keep some type of track of it and because I think it is probably worth that bit of extra for one of the things that is potentially going to give me hassle (sounds like there are too many other places for the docs to go missing). If I was outside SA I would be using one of the other agencies who know how the system works and who to ask to ensure things get sorted. I think it is probably worth that bit of extra cash.

Good luck
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

rae9201 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fortunately for me my OH is on the ball and one step ahead. He advised me yesterday that I would need an SA PCC so have started the process. Hopefully mine will be here in plenty time before I need to send SA and UK PCC as we only put in our application yesterday.

I am sending everything to my mom in SA and asking her to do all the courier work and payment for me. Hopefully she will have it all when she comes to visit in September!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:16 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae9201
Fortunately for me my OH is on the ball and one step ahead. He advised me yesterday that I would need an SA PCC so have started the process. Hopefully mine will be here in plenty time before I need to send SA and UK PCC as we only put in our application yesterday.

I am sending everything to my mom in SA and asking her to do all the courier work and payment for me. Hopefully she will have it all when she comes to visit in September!
Good luck!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks paulry.

I am going tomorrow to have my fingerprints taken and they are charging me £70.38 for the priviledge!

Apart from proof of ID and payment, what else do I need to take with me when I go?

Last edited by rae9201; Aug 4th 2009 at 9:30 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 2:02 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks paulry.

I am going tomorrow to have my fingerprints taken and they are charging me £70.38 for the priviledge!

Apart from proof of ID and payment, what else do I need to take with me when I go?
It's a while since I had mine done but I think that's all you need. Take your passport and your ID book if you can.

Old Aug 5th 2009, 3:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelonvisa
Hey All,

Thought this might be a help if anyone is having similar problems but from different countries. My girlfriend need a police clearance from China for our Australian Sposal Visa as we lived there for over 12 months in the past 10 years.

It turned out to be a nightmare which even after getting friends to do everything for us over there gave us nothing. We were angry because they didn't take our circumstances into account and we had friends to help us over there (speaking mandarin) and didn't get anywhere where as other people might not be in this position and would be completely lost!

At the end of the day we called the british consulate in Shanghai and they issued a letter with the official seal and everything stating that we could not obtain the document as it was unobtainable. This document was accepted towards our application.

This may be an option for others in a similar situation.
Originally Posted by paulry
I'm sure the previous poster meant well but his/her suggestion sounds a like a bit of a blind alley to me. Getting a PCC for SA is not unobtainable, you just need to be patient and prepared to chase the SAPS PCC unit to get them to do their jobs. Personally, I would be tempted to use one of the firms suggested in this thread - just to get this more frustrating requirement done ASAP. But first things first you need to book an appointment to have your fingerprints taken.

Good luck!

Regards,

Paul
Its a solution that works for people who are from the countries where it is notoriously difficult or even impossible to get police checks. However DIAC know which countries these are, and it wouldn't work with other places - like SA - where its just a long process but the checks are obtainable.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Ok, fingerprints done and dusted, and letter of instructions to mom all typed up!

When I send the application, do I need to put any form of covering letter as to why I am requesting it, or just the form with my details and other docs and payment?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Is your mum taking it to the clearance office personally in Pretoria or to a local police station?
We are in SA - the local police station gave us a covering letter - which had our names, DOB, ID numbers and address that the PCC was to be forwarded to.
We were told that we would need to show proof of address - but noone ever asked to see that?

There was a question on the form which we had to sign next to which asked if we had ever been convicted of a crime - but I assume you are probably filling that form in anyway..?
When we sent the application to police clearance we also had to include a copy of our ID documents and a copy of the reciept that showed we had paid SAPS.
I enclosed SAE for their hopeful (I become more doubtful each day!!!) return.

Good luck!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

tweddells is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grantvt
Phoning them doesn't work, I tried for a week.

For a UK PCC the application form and details can be found here: http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp
You fill in the form, pay and post the form. They are very efficient and should have it to you in 10 days, mine was return within 10 days. I lived in the UK for two years so had to get a UK PCC.

Not sure if you need a South Africa clearance but for for a SA PCC the application form and all the details about applying for one from abroad can be found here: http://www.dfa.gov.za/consular/policeclear.htm, the website has all the details and it should take about 28 days. You can speed it up by getting someone to go to the criminal records center in Pretoria for you (friend or relative). I got mine in 10 days by going there.

As the others say though as long as you can send through proof (payment receipt) to the DIAC to show you have applied for the certificate your application should be fine.
if you go(or get a relative/friend to go) directly to pretoria it is a matter of 2 -3 weeks. they are not too bad.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

candysa is an unknown quantity at this point

For any of you outside of South Africa who have applied for police clearance in South Africa....
I emailed this address: CRC Clearance Certificates Group Leader <[email protected]> to check the status of my application and actually got a reply the next day. They have said its a 8 week process.
Hope this helps anyone who doesn't know whats happening with the application and are still waiting.

Good luck!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

vickymel - no my mom won't take it in personally. I posted everything needed for the request to her and asked her to send it via PostNet as per suggestions on this forum. No where on here or on the websites on this forum does it say I needed proof of address.

I did send a covering letter explaining why I needed it and also that it's all going through her Jo'burg address even though I am in the UK. We haven't been asked for it by the DIAC yet, I'm just making sure it's already or nearly here when they do eventually ask.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 9:50 pm
Banned

vickymel - no my mom won't take it in personally. I posted everything needed for the request to her and asked her to send it via PostNet as per suggestions on this forum. No where on here or on the websites on this forum does it say I needed proof of address.

I did send a covering letter explaining why I needed it and also that it's all going through her Jo'burg address even though I am in the UK. We haven't been asked for it by the DIAC yet, I'm just making sure it's already or nearly here when they do eventually ask.
What I did was I filled out the unofficial form (see page 2, entry 21 on this thread), I paid the fee using my SA online banking account, printed off and included the resultant transaction record and included the fingerprints and photocopies of my ID document (you can also use your passport). I posted it in South Africa and used my Dad's address in Cape Town as the address for them to send it to. When my Dad received the certificate he forwarded it to me here in the UK. Bear in mind that the safest option (if you are applying for visa electronically) is to get your recipient in SA to scan the PCC and email it to you.

I think that's everything but please read the other posts on this thread just to be sure.

Good luck!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

candysa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get my police clearance back from SAPS? They received my application over 9 weeks ago. After 30 days I emailed to ask what was happening and surprisingly they replied! They said it would be ready in 8 weeks due to back log. Now I cannot get hold of anyone. Can a family member go to their offices and try get it for me? (I'm in the UK). My spent over an hour on the phone last week listening to 'we will answer your call shortly' with no one answering.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi

They do eventually answer the phone. I found just after 8am was pretty good for getting a response (but that it was bad around break times).

I too got a relatively speedy response by email - and it seemed more accurate. The people who answered the phone told me contradicting things.

I have been told ~ 8-10 weeks from when they recieived your application - but in my case the date they are using (as received) is about a week after I know they recieved it.

Maybe try another email to ask what stage it is at - and if you have been asked by your CO to supply the PCC maybe mention this as well.

I think your family can go to the Pretoria offices and collect it if it is ready - maybe ask them this in the email or by phone if you get through so that they can tell you how to arrange this.

Last edited by VickyMel; Aug 24th 2009 at 8:50 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.