Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Police Clearance Certificates: Problems getting a South African one

Police Clearance Certificates: Problems getting a South African one

Old Jun 25th 2009, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

travelonvisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Police Clearance Certificates: Problems getting a South African one

Hey All,

Thought this might be a help if anyone is having similar problems but from different countries. My girlfriend need a police clearance from China for our Australian Sposal Visa as we lived there for over 12 months in the past 10 years.

It turned out to be a nightmare which even after getting friends to do everything for us over there gave us nothing. We were angry because they didn't take our circumstances into account and we had friends to help us over there (speaking mandarin) and didn't get anywhere where as other people might not be in this position and would be completely lost!

At the end of the day we called the british consulate in Shanghai and they issued a letter with the official seal and everything stating that we could not obtain the document as it was unobtainable. This document was accepted towards our application.

This may be an option for others in a similar situation.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice
Default Re: Police Clearance Certificates: Problems getting a South African one

Originally Posted by travelonvisa View Post
Hey All,

Thought this might be a help if anyone is having similar problems but from different countries. My girlfriend need a police clearance from China for our Australian Sposal Visa as we lived there for over 12 months in the past 10 years.

It turned out to be a nightmare which even after getting friends to do everything for us over there gave us nothing. We were angry because they didn't take our circumstances into account and we had friends to help us over there (speaking mandarin) and didn't get anywhere where as other people might not be in this position and would be completely lost!

At the end of the day we called the british consulate in Shanghai and they issued a letter with the official seal and everything stating that we could not obtain the document as it was unobtainable. This document was accepted towards our application.

This may be an option for others in a similar situation.
That's helpful. So are you saying I could contact the British High Commission who could give me a later stating my PCC for South Africa is not going to come through? Sorry to be thick I'm just confused about who to get a letter from.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 10:56 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine View Post
That's helpful. So are you saying I could contact the British High Commission who could give me a later stating my PCC for South Africa is not going to come through? Sorry to be thick I'm just confused about who to get a letter from.
I'm sure the previous poster meant well but his/her suggestion sounds a like a bit of a blind alley to me. Getting a PCC for SA is not unobtainable, you just need to be patient and prepared to chase the SAPS PCC unit to get them to do their jobs. Personally, I would be tempted to use one of the firms suggested in this thread - just to get this more frustrating requirement done ASAP. But first things first you need to book an appointment to have your fingerprints taken.

Good luck!

Regards,

Paul
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:00 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candysa View Post
I tried calling SA house for the last 2 days and there's no response from the people responsible for PCC. Hope you have better luck! Let me know if it is possible as I'm renewing my passport in my married name and having PCC done so being charged £60 for each set of fingerprints.
I don't mean to scare you but my sister did that and now she "no longer exists"!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Hi guys, still no joy regarding the above. Does anyone know if the department that issues these has a walk in service? i.e you go in, submit everything and wait or you hand it in and return in 3 or so days? I realise this may be stupid questions but I am considering flying to SA myself to get it...

Alternatively, my brother lives in Pretoria and I could probably courier the form and fingerprints again for him to take to the SAPS office for me. He could then collect and courier back. I don't know if that will work.

Thanks as always.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

candysa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, still no joy regarding the above. Does anyone know if the department that issues these has a walk in service? i.e you go in, submit everything and wait or you hand it in and return in 3 or so days? I realise this may be stupid questions but I am considering flying to SA myself to get it...

Alternatively, my brother lives in Pretoria and I could probably courier the form and fingerprints again for him to take to the SAPS office for me. He could then collect and courier back. I don't know if that will work.

Thanks as always.
Hi! You can download the application form which was posted in a previous post on here and take it to your nearest police station and ask for finger prints on their letterhead paper. Its £60 for a set. The police station can also certify your photos as being you and certify copies of passport and ID books which need to be included. I then couriered it to my mom is SA who paid the money and included a paid for return envelope to her address. She sent it to Pretoria. She will then post it back to me in the UK when she receives it. It takes 21 days or so. Got 15 more to go...hopefully get it soon.

South Africa house is busy refurbing so unless you already have an appointment with them, there will be no walk-in services until September. I gave up on their phone lines.

Good luck!

Last edited by candysa; Jul 16th 2009 at 7:26 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by candysa View Post
Hi! You can download the application form which was posted in a previous post on here and take it to your nearest police station and ask for finger prints on their letterhead paper. Its £60 for a set. The police station can also certify your photos as being you and certify copies of passport and ID books which need to be included. I then couriered it to my mom is SA who paid the money and included a paid for return envelope to her address. She sent it to Pretoria. She will then post it back to me in the UK when she receives it. It takes 21 days or so. Got 15 more to go...hopefully get it soon.

South Africa house is busy refurbing so unless you already have an appointment with them, there will be no walk-in services until September. I gave up on their phone lines.

Good luck!
Hi the walk in service I was referring to was for the Shoeman Street offices in Pretoria. Thanks for the tip about taking the photos with me when I get the Fingerprints done. The first time I paid a solicitor £5! to certify them. I am aware it costs £60 and that is outrageous. I don't have an ID book as I was touring SA before coming 2 England. For me the police here will just be certifying my passport and photos. I thought the fingerprints had to be done on a special fingerprint form? Can someone clarify this please? I cannot afford for all of this to go missing again!!! Thanks.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone know if the police will take a photocopy of my passport? It will save time taking it to the library if they will. Cheers.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:46 pm
Banned

Thanks as always.
Flying to SA is overkill IMHO, and I don't think they have a walk in service. So you haven't yet applied for it? Best to go through the normal channels and when you are sure they have it pester them by phone. I can give you a info about cheap telephone facilities if you like (3p per minute).
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Flying to SA is overkill IMHO, and I don't think they have a walk in service. So you haven't yet applied for it? Best to go through the normal channels and when you are sure they have it pester them by phone. I can give you a info about cheap telephone facilities if you like (3p per minute).
Thanks Paulry, I did apply at the end of June. I sent it by courier and guess what they don't have it. It's been lost! I found this out yesterday. I was absolutely furious which is why I am considering other channels.

I use the cheap phone facilities located here:

http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert...r/south_africa

The rates change regularly, but todays is £0.5p per minute... brilliant price! Hopefully that helps you as well. Have you head your checks back by the way?

Last edited by EverydaySunshine; Jul 16th 2009 at 7:54 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:04 pm
Banned

Thanks Paulry, I did apply at the end of June. I sent it by courier and guess what they don't have it. It's been lost! I found this out yesterday. I was absolutely furious which is why I am considering other channels.

I use the cheap phone facilities located here:

http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert...r/south_africa

The rates change regularly, but todays is £0.5p per minute... brilliant price! Hopefully that helps you as well. Have you head your checks back by the way?
Try calling them again. They might "find it". Some staff there just can't be bothered and others are very helpful.

Yes I've had mine (SA'n) back late last year but it wasn't for the 10 years PCC requirements because I've lived here in the UK for longer than that. It was just to confirm that I have a criminal record, albeit one from 23 years or so ago. But the SAPS made a mess of that as well - what was on their computer was inaccurate. ...Long story.

The SA call service that I use costs 3p per minute
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Try calling them again. They might "find it". Some staff there just can't be bothered and others are very helpful.

Yes I've had mine (SA'n) back late last year but it wasn't for the 10 years PCC requirements because I've lived here in the UK for longer than that. It was just to confirm that I have a criminal record, albeit one from 23 years or so ago. But the SAPS made a mess of that as well - what was on their computer was inaccurate. ...Long story.

The SA call service that I use costs 3p per minute
I have phoned them three times, spoken to 4 different people and it's definitely missing. I would urge anyone who has sent the SAPS office anything to double check the have received it. Otherwise you will be left believing what you ordered has been received for it never to be returned.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

if it was sent via courier can't you get details of who signed for it and speak to them directly. Dealing with SA is such a pain as they often cannot be bothered. Seems to be more hassle than it's worth. We forget how bad the customer service is. I remember thinking when I got to the UK that service was so much better here. Now of course, I think it's rubbish!

Make a fuss. Email them constantly, phone them. Ask for a superior. Do what you have to to get a response. Send them the courier receipt. If it was couriered they must have had it. Perservere.... it is obtainable.... albeit after many months of frustration!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

vlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the rough

Try dkp investigations as advised by somebody else; we used them and they were excellent! Good luck!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Gtrotter will become famous soon enough

Have you tried www.bunnyhop.co.za. Expensive but still cheaper than flying out to do the admin!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.