Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Police Clearance Certificates: Problems getting a South African one

Police Clearance Certificates: Problems getting a South African one

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice
Default Police Clearance Certificates: Problems getting a South African one

Hi,

I hope you can help. I had contact from the CO on Wednesday 2 weeks ago asking for a Police Clearance Certificate for the UK (which will be here next week) but the High Commission for South Africa has been absolutely useless in terms of sending me the forms. I have a deadline to adhere to and it's looking more and more like this documents is not going to make it. I cannot afford to pay the application fee again. I have been here 9 years and have a clean record but rules state that they want my past 10 years.

After countless attempts phoning them I also emailed. They only got in touch today and they said they would be resending the form. Well the 1st one never arrived for a start!

What if anything can be done about this? We are looking to leave in under 4 months?

Please help. I am so worried.

Thanks as always.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Clearance Certificates: Problems getting a South African one

You have to explain to your case officer what is happening and ask for an extension. You may also have to be flexible on your departure date as the system works at its convenience not yours.

You may want to point out you've spent less than 12 months in the last 10 years in South Africa and ask for a waiver on that basis?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:52 am
mzt
Forum Regular

mzt is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
You have to explain to your case officer what is happening and ask for an extension. You may also have to be flexible on your departure date as the system works at its convenience not yours.

You may want to point out you've spent less than 12 months in the last 10 years in South Africa and ask for a waiver on that basis?
If you read through your letter of request for further information, it states in there that if you anticipate a delay with either your medicals or PPC's then you need only provide them with a copy of the receipt of those documents that you have requested. So that they know that you have at least requested them from the relevant authorities. I am assuming once they receive your receipt that you will automatically be given an extension as they are well aware that some countries take forever to finalise those types of documentation. I know people applying from Middle Eastern countries get 70 days to respond since it takes that long in there countries whereas others only have 28 days.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

DIAC are fully aware of how slow many countries are at providing PCCs so don't worry, just let them know you've set the wheels in motion and they'll give you the time you need.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

grantvt is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Hi,

I hope you can help. I had contact from the CO on Wednesday 2 weeks ago asking for a Police Clearance Certificate for the UK (which will be here next week) but the High Commission for South Africa has been absolutely useless in terms of sending me the forms. I have a deadline to adhere to and it's looking more and more like this documents is not going to make it. I cannot afford to pay the application fee again. I have been here 9 years and have a clean record but rules state that they want my past 10 years.

After countless attempts phoning them I also emailed. They only got in touch today and they said they would be resending the form. Well the 1st one never arrived for a start!

What if anything can be done about this? We are looking to leave in under 4 months?

Thanks as always.
Phoning them doesn't work, I tried for a week.

For a UK PCC the application form and details can be found here: http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp
You fill in the form, pay and post the form. They are very efficient and should have it to you in 10 days, mine was return within 10 days. I lived in the UK for two years so had to get a UK PCC.

Not sure if you need a South Africa clearance but for for a SA PCC the application form and all the details about applying for one from abroad can be found here: http://www.dfa.gov.za/consular/policeclear.htm, the website has all the details and it should take about 28 days. You can speed it up by getting someone to go to the criminal records center in Pretoria for you (friend or relative). I got mine in 10 days by going there.

As the others say though as long as you can send through proof (payment receipt) to the DIAC to show you have applied for the certificate your application should be fine.

Last edited by grantvt; Jun 24th 2009 at 9:06 am.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

SantaM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks as always.
Check this site http://www.bunnyhop.co.za/policeclearances.htm. They've done for me police clearance 3 years ago. It took about 8-9 weeks.

Cheers
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SantaM
Check this site http://www.bunnyhop.co.za/policeclearances.htm. They've done for me police clearance 3 years ago. It took about 8-9 weeks.

Cheers
I think the OP wants a UK certificate. But the thread title says otherwise.

Last edited by grantvt; Jun 24th 2009 at 8:41 am.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Hi, just to clarify. My UK PCC is on it's way. No worries with efficiency here. Prior to the UK I lived in South Africa and the Aus High Commission want a PCC for SA as well. This is where the problem is. I have until 20 July to submit everything! and they are dragging this out (SA I mean). I don't have 8-9 weeks to wait for a certificate. I really don't want my application thrown out on this basis
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

SantaM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grantvt
I think the OP wants a UK certificate. But the thread title says otherwise.
I've understood that he'll get UK certificate next week. He's got problem with SAPS clearance.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, just to clarify. My UK PCC is on it's way. No worries with efficiency here. Prior to the UK I lived in South Africa and the Aus High Commission want a PCC for SA as well. This is where the problem is. I have until 20 July to submit everything! and they are dragging this out (SA I mean). I don't have 8-9 weeks to wait for a certificate. I really don't want my application thrown out on this basis
As has been said, they won't throw it out. Inform them you have requested the PCC and provide the receipt if you have it and they will understand and extend the date. They will not hold you to the 20th July. They understand some countries take months. Let them know and don't worry.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

They wont/cant throw it out if you have sent proof you have applied for one.
Just send them proof you have applied and apply for one as they say here: http://www.dfa.gov.za/consular/policeclear.htm, or use the bunny hop site given by SantaM. I got my SA one in 10 working days.
Waiting for things is part of this process, you will probably have to wait a while longer after the DIAC receive your certificates.

Last edited by grantvt; Jun 24th 2009 at 9:03 am.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SantaM
I've understood that he'll get UK certificate next week. He's got problem with SAPS clearance.
I'm a She
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Well the plot thickens! Phoned the Bunny Hop people and clearances are taken about 8 weeks to get out due to back logs and a broken printing machine! Very 3rd world isn't it. Phoned my local police station and a set of prints is a staggering £60! The lady is going to email me notification of the delay and hopefully this and proof of my countless and emails and phonecalls will prove that I tried my best to get it. A further extension is cutting it fine if we want to leave at the end of October! This is so stressful!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Well the plot thickens! Phoned the Bunny Hop people and clearances are taken about 8 weeks to get out due to back logs and a broken printing machine! Very 3rd world isn't it. Phoned my local police station and a set of prints is a staggering £60! The lady is going to email me notification of the delay and hopefully this and proof of my countless and emails and phonecalls will prove that I tried my best to get it. A further extension is cutting it fine if we want to leave at the end of October! This is so stressful!
I think they talking rubbish. Printer machines do get fixed in South Africa.

Last edited by grantvt; Jun 24th 2009 at 9:53 am.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Gtrotter will become famous soon enough

I got mine in about 28 days and this over the month of April with all the public holidays. You just have to provide proof to your CO that you applied for the cert.

What you do is e-mail [email protected] and ask for the latest form to use and how to get the ZAR 59 to them (bankers draft etc). Then just get a courier company to drop of and collect the certificate. Should be way cheaper compared to bunnyhop.

BTW: My FBI clearance also took a good few months and there were no issues raised by my CO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.