Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Police clearance certificate (for citizenship) - validity question

Police clearance certificate (for citizenship) - validity question

Old Jan 12th 2019, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Police clearance certificate (for citizenship) - validity question

We're now back in Oz and will qualify for citizenship shortly if all goes to plan, so I was going to apply for the UK check a month or so before we plan to apply so I can upload it immediately. However I see that we will probably have to wait 10 months or more before the test and then up to six months to get a ceremony date.

Does the check have limited validity (we will almost certainly return to the UK for a visit between applying and getting a test date)? If so, how long is it valid and when does it need to be valid (eg when DHA look at it, on the date you take the test, the date your application is approved, the date of the ceremony)?

I don't want to delay the process by not having a certificate available when it is needed, but equally there's no point getting one soon if it will have expired before it is needed.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 4:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police clearance certificate (for citizenship) - validity question

Originally Posted by louie
We're now back in Oz and will qualify for citizenship shortly if all goes to plan, so I was going to apply for the UK check a month or so before we plan to apply so I can upload it immediately. However I see that we will probably have to wait 10 months or more before the test and then up to six months to get a ceremony date.

Does the check have limited validity (we will almost certainly return to the UK for a visit between applying and getting a test date)? If so, how long is it valid and when does it need to be valid (eg when DHA look at it, on the date you take the test, the date your application is approved, the date of the ceremony)?

I don't want to delay the process by not having a certificate available when it is needed, but equally there's no point getting one soon if it will have expired before it is needed.
As long as you don't leave Australia again before you get citizenship then it would only need to be valid when you apply. Its just to cover periods when you have been back in the UK.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

As long as you don't leave Australia again before you get citizenship then it would only need to be valid when you apply. Its just to cover periods when you have been back in the UK.
We almost certainly will go back to the UK at least once, maybe twice given how long it is taking to get citizenship nowadays (and with elderly parents who aren't in the best of health).
Old Jan 13th 2019, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You only need if if you have spent over a year in UK since getting PR though. They don’t take long to get.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 7:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
We almost certainly will go back to the UK at least once, maybe twice given how long it is taking to get citizenship nowadays (and with elderly parents who aren't in the best of health).
Might be better to wait till its requested then Maybe BritInParis will come along and give a view on it cos I'm not 100% sure