British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   police checks how long do they take? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/police-checks-how-long-do-they-take-103318/)

cazz Oct 16th 2002 6:02 pm

police checks how long do they take?

Hi all,
waiting for police checks to come back does anyone know how long they are taking at the moment? Going to oz at christmas for a holiday and hoping to get visa's in time, have been told to get medicals and police checks. When we have sent everything off to Adelaide do you know how long it takes to get visa. Am i being to hopeful for christmas.
Brilliant site only found it today.:)

Mike & karen Oct 16th 2002 6:11 pm

Re: police checks how long do they take?

Originally posted by cazz:
Hi all,
waiting for police checks to come back does anyone know how long they are taking at the moment? Going to oz at christmas for a holiday and hoping to get visa's in time, have been told to get medicals and police checks. When we have sent everything off to Adelaide do you know how long it takes to get visa. Am i being to hopeful for christmas.

Hi Cazz
Just the question I was going to ask myself. We sent away for our police checks on 20th September, still no news. Had our medicals done and are now on their way to Adelaide. We were hoping to send the police checks with our medicals so we could get the visas before Christmas. Hoping to go to Melbourne in January. We have been told they could take 6 weeks.

Mike & Karen

yvsie Oct 16th 2002 6:12 pm

hi ,

mine took 30 days...sent them off 5th september and got em back on october 5th, dated the 3rd!!

daler Oct 16th 2002 6:30 pm

Hi all,

I sent off for my police checks and got them both back within the 40 days (which I think it advises on the form) just need my bloody visa now!

cazz Oct 16th 2002 6:52 pm

Originally posted by Mike & karen:

Hi Cazz
Just the question I was going to ask myself. We sent away for our police checks on 20th September, still no news. Had our medicals done and are now on their way to Adelaide. We were hoping to send the police checks with our medicals so we could get the visas before Christmas. Hoping to go to Melbourne in January. We have been told they could take 6 weeks.

Mike & Karen

Hi mike & Karen,
thanks for the reply, is there an advantage in sending your medicals off first before receiving your police checks will this speed it up or are you just hoping?

cleo19 Oct 16th 2002 6:55 pm

Hi all,

Hi Cazz

Mine took 22 days with the Essex police.

Terri

poggle Oct 19th 2002 10:14 am

Hi Cazz!

Welcome to the site! dont let any of the negative posters get you down! The majority of people here are just here to offer their help, share experiences and give and advice for free! which includes some migration agents Alan Collett and George Lombard, to name a few!

My Police checks took 20 days back in June, with The Essex police. I have heard that since the awful murder of the 2 young girls a few months ago, that police checks for migrants are taking longer due to the increased workload from all the Teachers and childcare workers having to be Police checked now. Dont know how true this is, but hope you still get your visas in time for xmas in oz!!

Good Luck:)

poggle Oct 19th 2002 10:33 am

Hi mike & Karen,
thanks for the reply, is there an advantage in sending your medicals off first before receiving your police checks will this speed it up or are you just hoping?

Hi Cazz!

Me again! If you are thinking of sending in your police checks or medicals before they are requested, I thought of this myself and was advised not to do it! i dont think it does you any favours with your case officer! Also something to bear in mind is that the Police Checks and your Medicals are both valid for a year. If your visa application takes a longer, you may have to do them again! [more expense!]
I have also been told that from the date of the PC's or Meds that it is a year from this date by which you must validate your visa by going to oz. Assuming you do get your visa's sooner, it might not be by much and you might not be ready to move, which would mean applying for an extention, or going for a holiday and coming back to sort things out! my advice would be wait till they are requested. hope this helps! :)

poggle Oct 19th 2002 10:43 am

Cazz!

ooooooooppss!!!! sorry! ignore last post, not been awake long, mis-read your post, thought you hadn't been asked for your meds and police yet!! still the info might be of use to someone else!

Cheers!:zzz:

Mike & karen Oct 19th 2002 7:25 pm

Originally posted by poggle:
Cazz!

ooooooooppss!!!! sorry! ignore last post, not been awake long, mis-read your post, thought you hadn't been asked for your meds and police yet!! still the info might be of use to someone else!

Cheers!:zzz:

Hi Cazz

Just received our police checks yesteday.
They took 4 weeks.
Every thing seems to be falling in to place, we put our house on sale a week and a half ago and just sold it today.
Medical and police checks on their way to Adelaide.

Mike & Karen

Snickers Oct 19th 2002 9:57 pm

Hi Cazz

They took 4 weeks.
Every thing seems to be falling in to place, we put our house on sale a week and a half ago and just sold it today.

Mike & Karen

Hi Mike & Karen & Cazz,
Not to put a dampener on things, but we sent our meds & Police checks off as requested, they were recieved in Adelaide 12 Aug 02 and we have had nothing as yet, except that the meds were sent to Sydney med board 22 Aug and were still there 2 weeks ago.
This probably won't help but it gives an idea of time scales

Paul

Snickers Oct 20th 2002 12:11 pm

Originally posted by Snickers:

Hi Mike & Karen & Cazz,
Not to put a dampener on things, but we sent our meds & Police checks off as requested, they were recieved in Adelaide 12 Aug 02 and we have had nothing as yet, except that the meds were sent to Sydney med board 22 Aug and were still there 2 weeks ago.
This probably won't help but it gives an idea of time scales

Paul

P.S, we are on the STNI which is supposed to speed things up by being prioritised, but it isn't panning out that way.

Paul

cazz Oct 20th 2002 2:06 pm

Hi Cazz

They took 4 weeks.

Mike & Karen

Brilliant hope it dosn't take to long you must be feeling soooooooooooooo excited, please let me know when you get the visa's.

Cazz:D

cazz Oct 20th 2002 2:12 pm

Originally posted by Snickers:

P.S, we are on the STNI which is supposed to speed things up by being prioritised, but it isn't panning out that way.

Paul

Hi Paul and Adele,
thanks for the reply, why are the medicals sent to Sydney? is this the case for everyone?

Cazz

Snickers Oct 20th 2002 2:20 pm

Hi Paul and Adele,
thanks for the reply, why are the medicals sent to Sydney? is this the case for everyone?

Cazz

CAZZ yes if u apply to Adelaide then the medical reports get sent to Sydney for assessment.