Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Points test: Specific Work Experience - what is exactly "Closely related occupation"?

Wikiposts

Points test: Specific Work Experience - what is exactly "Closely related occupation"?

Old May 29th 2006, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Toportyu is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Points test: Specific Work Experience - what is exactly "Closely related occupation"?

Dear forum members,

preparing the necessary documents I have a question:

Being an architect (ASCO 2122-11) I have been working as architect (which is my nominated occupation) for more than a year but prior to that I also worked as Quantity Surveyor (ASCO 2121-11) for some other time.
Will I get 10 points for Specific Work Experience including the time I was working as Quantity Surveyor?
What is considered by DIMIA a CLOSELY RELATED OCCUPATION to Architecture - is 'Quantity Surveyor' that? This is in the same minor group (212 Building and Engineering Professionals), just the next one on the ASCO list.

Are there any other Architects in the forum with similar experience as I have? How did you got judged?
Of course I am wish to get answers from any members (not just architects) who has some ideas on this topic!

Cheers,
Toportyu
Old May 29th 2006, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

depaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud of
Default Re: Points test: Specific Work Experience - what is exactly "Closely related occupati

Hi Toportyu,

This subject has been discussed before. If you have a look at http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330839 you will be able to get an idea of what it is all about and what DIMA will look for.

Good luck,
Paula
Old May 30th 2006, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Toportyu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Points test: Specific Work Experience - what is exactly "Closely related occupati

Originally Posted by depaiva
Hi Toportyu,

This subject has been discussed before. If you have a look at http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330839 you will be able to get an idea of what it is all about and what DIMA will look for.

Good luck,
Paula

Thanks Paula,

the provided link helped me to clear my situation a bit but I quess the final answer will be given by DIMIA after logging in my application.

By the way, is there an e-mail address at DIMIA where I could ask beforehand my specific original question? Or these kind of questions could be asked only from a migration agent/agency?

Regards,
Toportyu
Old May 30th 2006, 9:16 am
fingers crossed

heading south is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toportyu
Dear forum members,

preparing the necessary documents I have a question:

Being an architect (ASCO 2122-11) I have been working as architect (which is my nominated occupation) for more than a year but prior to that I also worked as Quantity Surveyor (ASCO 2121-11) for some other time.
Will I get 10 points for Specific Work Experience including the time I was working as Quantity Surveyor?
What is considered by DIMIA a CLOSELY RELATED OCCUPATION to Architecture - is 'Quantity Surveyor' that? This is in the same minor group (212 Building and Engineering Professionals), just the next one on the ASCO list.

Are there any other Architects in the forum with similar experience as I have? How did you got judged?
Of course I am wish to get answers from any members (not just architects) who has some ideas on this topic!

Cheers,
Toportyu
I can't give you an answer for your specific situation, but we've been through the process and it can be quite a tough call to get it right. We've applied on a 136 (we're upto the bond stage and so assume that everything so far is OK) and had our skills assessed by IAust and VETASESS respectively. Neither of us fitted exactly into neat categories but we took our best stab and tailored our CVs and experience (without making things up: remember you need to get a reference from your employer for the 10 points) to the ones we both thought were our best shots. We both got positive assessments. In my view this is where good agents earn their brass and poor agents are neither use nor ornament. If you have any doubts then take advice from a good agent.

Good luck

Heading South
Old May 30th 2006, 9:54 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toportyu
Thanks Paula,

the provided link helped me to clear my situation a bit but I quess the final answer will be given by DIMIA after logging in my application.

By the way, is there an e-mail address at DIMIA where I could ask beforehand my specific original question? Or these kind of questions could be asked only from a migration agent/agency?

Regards,
Toportyu

Hi Toportyu,

Yes, this is an issue. No, DIMA won't give you (or a migration agent) a reliable answer prior to application, since there's too much specific information required to reach a view.

From the sound of it I'd certainly be wanting to argue that the occupations are closely related, but conceptually it's touch and go isn't it? What skills do quantity surveyors and architects have in common? What aspects of your QS work environment had architectural elements?

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au