Points Maximisation (175)

Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

collett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Points Maximisation (175)

I've currently only got 110 safe points and I'm scrabbling around for more...

As a secondary science teacher I am on the SOL but not the MODL so I can't have extra points for that even though I'm on CSL. Is that right?

As a native english speaker from the UK educated up to degree level I only get 15 points for my English. Can I take the test to get 25?

I'm 29 now but will be 30 when I want to go so which age band should I put down?

Am I right in thinking I can't claim 5 points for my partner unless he is skills assessed aswell? How much experience does he need?

Thanks
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Sonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really nice
Default Re: Points Maximisation (175)

Originally Posted by collett

As a secondary science teacher I am on the SOL but not the MODL so I can't have extra points for that even though I'm on CSL. Is that right?

As a native english speaker from the UK educated up to degree level I only get 15 points for my English. Can I take the test to get 25?

I'm 29 now but will be 30 when I want to go so which age band should I put down?

Am I right in thinking I can't claim 5 points for my partner unless he is skills assessed aswell? How much experience does he need?

Thanks
UK passport gives 15 points. You can get an additional 10 points if you take the IELTS test and get score of 7 or above in all four modules.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Right. You need a skill on the MODL and to fulfill the experience requirements to claim MODL points.
Yes. You can sit the IELTS to gain 10 bonus points. You will need to score 7 or more on each of the bands, not an average 7, so study.
You put the age you are at the time of application. If your birthday is 1 June and you apply on 31 May you are 29. If you send you application on 2 June you are 30.
That's right. If you want points for partner skill he will have to have a valid skills assessment.
Thanks
Download booklet 6 from www.immi.gov.au for details of how to and what you need to apply for a skilled visa.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:57 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sonny & Lynne
UK passport gives 15 points. You can get an additional 10 points if you take the IELTS test and get score of 7 or above in all four modules.
Yeah that's what I had to do, take the IELTS, I'm a teacher too....

Good Luck

Jen

(PS If you're in any rush, get the IELTS booked ASAP as the test centres fill up very very quickly, I'd to do mine in Dublin which meant paying an extra £80 because of the exchange rate from £ to Euro...also, you only have to sit the 'General Training' test, not the Academic, which is quite a bit harder from what I've heard!)
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
No MODL points unless Secondary school teachers are added to MODL before you pply, or after you apply and before your points are assessed.

If you have 12/24 and 3/4 teaching experience of 20 hours or more and you apply for visa before you turn 30 you will score:
skills = 60
English = 15
Experience = 10
Age = 30

So 115. So you can do English test for extra 10 points and/or get your spouse's skills assessed for 5 points if she has 12/24 recent skilled experience in SOL occupation.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
www.visabureau.com
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:16 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

So really, your next step is to get your skills assessed by Teaching Australia, if you haven't done so already?! They acknowledged my application on the 5th January and I had my result back on the 10th February, so it was pretty quick, though those who have had their skills assessed more recently have taken that little bit longer, on their site it says to expect 6 to 8 weeks for a result.

http://www.teachingaustralia.edu.au/

I recently sent this information to a friend, so I'll just cut n paste it here for you...

All of these docs need to be copied, then the copies certified....this can be done by your current Principal...

* Passport identity page
* Secondary school results and birth certificate
* Award certificates and transcripts for your initial teacher education
* Evidence of the duration of the supervised teaching component of your initial teacher education qualification (It has to be over a certain amount of days, says on the form how many...i got this evidence from my uni, they sent it to me on letter headed note paper)
* Evidence of teacher registration, i sent off my GTCNI form, which is something we're issued with in Northern Ireland on a yearly basis, not sure what the equivalent is on the mainland.
* Evidence of your * years teaching experience since graduation, in my case it was 9, cant rememeber how long uve been teaching, but i phoned the department of education over here and they sent that on letter headed notepaper.

You fill out the form (which you'll find on the 'Teaching Australia' website), and send copies of the above and hey presto!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

collett is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info everybody

I've just looked at IELTS test dates and it looks like I will be 30 after all can't get a date before june!

Is it difficult?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

I've just looked at IELTS test dates and it looks like I will be 30 after all can't get a date before june!

Is it difficult?
Jen passed (pissed) it so we are all in with a chance.

Turning 30 still will score you 120 if you have 3 years teaching experience in the last 4 years. If you have your TA assessment approval, yo ucan apply for the visa in advance of sitting the IELTS as you hold an eligible passport. that is what Jen did. You need to get the IELTS score scanned into yoru application prior to DIAC assessing your points.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
www.visabureau.com
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:04 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by welshtony
Jen passed (pissed) it so we are all in with a chance.

Turning 30 still will score you 120 if you have 3 years teaching experience in the last 4 years. If you have your TA assessment approval, yo ucan apply for the visa in advance of sitting the IELTS as you hold an eligible passport. that is what Jen did. You need to get the IELTS score scanned into yoru application prior to DIAC assessing your points.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
www.visabureau.com
Yup, that's what I did, thanks to Tony! In fact, if it weren't for Tony I'd not even have known to do the IELTS LOL

I submitted my visa application in Feb and did my IELTS in March, luckily I pissed/passed it, with full marks in every section but writing, I always was a bit of a dohbag with the old commas lol
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:08 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Is it difficult?
PS Do study, I bought a study guide off Amazon and freaked out a bit for the week or so up til the test, doing different sections every night, I'm not an exam person thus the 'freaking out' but luckily the studying did pay off! It's not so much studying actual information, it's more familiarising yourself with the format of the test so you're prepared for the big day! You do four sections; speaking, listening, reading and writing, each section is marked out of 9 and you must score no less than 7 in each section to get the 10 extra points. You are only allowed an error of six (out of 40) in each section to get the minimum score of 7, which I felt put a lot of pressure on me for the day! Study and chill out on the day, and you will be grand!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

crouts81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend getting your Teaching Australia Skills Assessment application sent ASAP if you are in any kind of rush. I sent my application on 2nd Feb, it was acknowledged on 12th Feb and I am STILL waiting. So much for 6-8 weeks!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:35 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by crouts81
I would recommend getting your Teaching Australia Skills Assessment application sent ASAP if you are in any kind of rush. I sent my application on 2nd Feb, it was acknowledged on 12th Feb and I am STILL waiting. So much for 6-8 weeks!
Still?!?!?!?!?! Flip me!!!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah! Unbelievable! It was supposedly being posted out early last week, so I am hopeful it will arrive this week. But I've been saying that for about 4 weeks now!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:41 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by crouts81
Yeah! Unbelievable! It was supposedly being posted out early last week, so I am hopeful it will arrive this week. But I've been saying that for about 4 weeks now!
GRR! Everything else ready to just hit submit? All docs scanned etc?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Yes all documents scanned, have filled in most of the application. I'm actually also waiting for an 888 statement from my cousin in Oz to support our de facto status. Fingers crossed we can get into the 'April 2009 applicants thread'!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.