please, someone...

Old Aug 16th 2011, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Astrid will become famous soon enough
Default please, someone...

Hi

I've asked this question before in here, but no one seemed to know.
I promise I won't ask anymore, if I get no answers this time, I'll just give it one more go:

If one is applying for a 457 visa as a "Sales and Marketing manager", and one's annnual salary is above 100 k, and one is from a non-english country, would one then have to sit the Ielts test?

And if you do, would you have to score 5 i each band, or 6 or (God forbid it) 7?

I've read about english exemptions on immi gov webpage, and the salary is one of them. However my husbands company says he has to do it regardless, being from a non-english country. (They have not hired an agent, since they believe they can manage on their own). I am not sure they are right, since the salary exemption seem to stand on it's own, having nothing to do with where one is from.

And I just cant find a place where it says for each occupation what band will be needed when going on a 457, other than the general band 5 (I only know that engineers and teachers need more than this).

Please, if anyone knows anything, share it.....Thank you so much in advance for any response!!
Old Aug 16th 2011, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: please, someone...

Originally Posted by Astrid
Hi

I promise I won't ask anymore, if I get no answers this time, I'll just give it one more go:

If one is applying for a 457 visa as a "Sales and Marketing manager", and one's annnual salary is above 100 k, and one is from a non-english country, would one then have to sit the Ielts test?

And if you do, would you have to score 5 i each band, or 6 or (God forbid it) 7?

I've read about english exemptions on immi gov webpage, and the salary is one of them. However my husbands company says he has to do it regardless, being from a non-english country. (They have not hired an agent, since they believe they can manage on their own). I am not sure they are right, since the salary exemption seem to stand on it's own, having nothing to do with where one is from.

And I just cant find a place where it says for each occupation what band will be needed when going on a 457, other than the general band 5 (I only know that engineers and teachers need more than this).

Please, if anyone knows anything, share it.....Thank you so much in advance for any response!!
I am afraid one doesnt know but hopefully some one will pop along shortly to help.Looking at it your english seems good.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 11:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

If you have asked twice before (and I believe you have) and nobody knew the answer, it's unlikely they will now. Why not just contact a MARA registered migration agent and ask? Or how about ringing DIAC and asking them?
Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Why not just? I was hoping to get the answer for free in here, who can blame me
I have called Diac, and so has the company that is sponsoring my husband. We got two very different answers.
I will - of course - ask a an agent, if this last request doesn't hand me a bonus, but perhaps I'm lucky this time

Anyway, thank you for responding...all of you.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

lloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nice

Why not just? I was hoping to get the answer for free in here, who can blame me
I have called Diac, and so has the company that is sponsoring my husband. We got two very different answers.
I will - of course - ask a an agent, if this last request doesn't hand me a bonus, but perhaps I'm lucky this time

Anyway, thank you for responding...all of you.
The website says that the English language requirement has to be met with an IELTS of 5 unless he/she is exempt by occupation or income. So I think the answer is simple. Your employer maybe asking you to do it 'just to be on the safe side'. Getting an IELTS 5 is anyway really easy to achieve for a basic command of the language.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

thank you
However, what I am worrying about is whether the occupation Sales Manager (as it is in skills goup 1 like for ekample doctors or engineers), needs a higher score, and if so which. If he "only" has to get 5, I think he'll get by through practising. However, nothing is "easy" for a person not born in an English speaking country I do believe that ielts is alot about picking up the right method, the way they do it...Practise, here we come:=)
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...employee.htm#f

Why do you not believe the link? If it doesn't say this is a different level for certain occupations then why are you looking for complications..

I could be wrong but I didn't think DIAC ever asks for special IELTS results for certain professions anyway, it is the skills assessment body that sometimes will and as you are applying for a temporary visa you aren't doing a skills assessment.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

I fail to see how your going to manage in a sales environment in an English speaking country if you do not attain at least a 7 on the test, unless the product is going to be aimed at non English speaking customers
Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rossi
I fail to see how your going to manage in a sales environment in an English speaking country if you do not attain at least a 7 on the test, unless the product is going to be aimed at non English speaking customers
I do not agree. Someone could be great at English and communicating with ease in his or her work (sales) environment and stil get - say 6.5 in one of the different test sections for various reasons, just like some people become top doctors, lawyers or whatever, without having been being particularly amazing at school. Sometimes the score follows reality, othertimes it does not. So of course one should worry. My husband is great at English, but could still easily get below band 7 in any section...But with a lot of studying we hope for the best
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Just writing to say that we have finally have found out, that as a "Sales and marketing manager", going for a 457 visa, One does NOT have to sit the ielts test woohoo.
They (DIAC) can however ask my husband to proove that he can speak properly English, which will not be a problem (they will accept statements from former employers and stuff like that).
Sometimes it pays of to keep on looking into these things
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Majelan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...employee.htm#f

Why do you not believe the link? If it doesn't say this is a different level for certain occupations then why are you looking for complications..

I could be wrong but I didn't think DIAC ever asks for special IELTS results for certain professions anyway, it is the skills assessment body that sometimes will and as you are applying for a temporary visa you aren't doing a skills assessment.
To me this response hits the point!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Just writing to say that we have finally have found out, that as a "Sales and marketing manager", going for a 457 visa, One does NOT have to sit the ielts test woohoo.
They (DIAC) can however ask my husband to proove that he can speak properly English, which will not be a problem (they will accept statements from former employers and stuff like that).
Sometimes it pays of to keep on looking into these things
Indeed it does!

I wish you both all the very best for your visa application.

...and on that happy note, I'll close this thread.

Last edited by Alfresco; Aug 31st 2011 at 12:05 pm.