Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Please shed light on procedure after receiving grant letter

Wikiposts

Please shed light on procedure after receiving grant letter

Old Dec 27th 2004, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

victorgreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please shed light on procedure after receiving grant letter

Hi,

Can anyone please give info on the following

1. How much time do you get to get your visa stamped in passport after receiving grant letter?

eg : My passport is expiring in begining of Jun 2005. Suppose I get an grant letter (First of all what is a grant letter) in end of Feb 2005 can I keep it pending till July 2005 & apply for fresh passport in Jun 2005 & get the visa stamped in the new passport instead of this old one (Thus avoid the procedure of getting it stamped again in new passport in Jun 2005).

(Presuming my first date of entry to Aus is before Sep 2005)

2. Does the grant letter have any expiry date ie should get converted to visa within 3 months etc?

3. Does the grant letter carry your photo? Can it be converted to Visa in any australian consulate/mission by showing the grant letter.

eg I am british & working in US Can I get visa stamped in singapore while on way on Aus? ie can I go on holiday to singapore (On way to Aus) & go to an Aus mission in singapore & show them the grant letter & have the visa put in my passport?

Regards

Victor
Old Dec 27th 2004, 4:32 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please shed light on procedure after receiving grant letter

Hello Victor.

Using the same numbering:

1. You can take as much time as you want to have the visa evidenced in your passport after receipt of your visa grant letter (which is a letter confirming you have been granted your visa). However, you will probably find that there is a date by which you are required to enter Australia (the "Initial Entry Date"), which is usually within 12 months of the earlier of the date of your medical examination and the date of your police report/s.

Also, your visa can only be evidenced in the same passport as that which was advised to the Department of Immigration when your application was being processed => if your passport is going to expire soon I would consider replacing it now. The alternative is for you to carry two passports with you - the old one which contains your visa and the new one which is current.

2. Nope - but see above.

3. No photo is shown on the grant letter; you will need to advise your DIMIA case officer as to where you want your visa to be evidenced in your passport when the visa is granted.

Hope this helps - best wishes for 2005.

Originally Posted by victorgreen
Hi,

Can anyone please give info on the following

1. How much time do you get to get your visa stamped in passport after receiving grant letter?

eg : My passport is expiring in begining of Jun 2005. Suppose I get an grant letter (First of all what is a grant letter) in end of Feb 2005 can I keep it pending till July 2005 & apply for fresh passport in Jun 2005 & get the visa stamped in the new passport instead of this old one (Thus avoid the procedure of getting it stamped again in new passport in Jun 2005).

(Presuming my first date of entry to Aus is before Sep 2005)

2. Does the grant letter have any expiry date ie should get converted to visa within 3 months etc?

3. Does the grant letter carry your photo? Can it be converted to Visa in any australian consulate/mission by showing the grant letter.

eg I am british & working in US Can I get visa stamped in singapore while on way on Aus? ie can I go on holiday to singapore (On way to Aus) & go to an Aus mission in singapore & show them the grant letter & have the visa put in my passport?

Regards

Victor
Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

victorgreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please shed light on procedure after receiving grant letter

Hi Alan,

Thanks a lot for the info.

Regards,

Victor