Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

please help: THE BAST*RDS ARE TRYING TO KILL US!!!!

please help: THE BAST*RDS ARE TRYING TO KILL US!!!!

Old Jul 14th 2003, 5:06 am
Just Joined

kieronjp3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default please help: THE BAST*RDS ARE TRYING TO KILL US!!!!

i am an english fella waiting on a spouse visa decision. The signs are very poor indeed. We applied in feb this year in london when on our honeymoon. The missus is from melbourne and we returned there after 3 weeks of bliss. We waited until may 12th to hear anything which was the day i had to leave the country to renew my visa. We got a phone call from the case officer and i was interviewed. This did not go well. I havent been spoken to like that since that night in that hackney pub i used to go to. Real fighting talk i tell ya. I was as nice as poss and didnt rise to the bait but at the end of the interview she said at present she would refuse the application. Her main reasons being that because my missus is 19(im 31) and that her parents did not know we were married they did not beleive we were genuinely in love, etc, etc. Highly offended me said why dont you interview us in person or at least speak to the missus and we can sort this out. The above mentioned halfwit wasnt interested in this and said the onus was on me to convince her and she would do nothing else until we came up with other info to convince her of our genuinity. We sent her wills, super annuation docs and insurance docs with me named as beneficiary and visa versa. Also we sent a sweet letter from her mother saying she thought we were genuine and much in love etc, etc. We have waited until now, nervous as hell until i sent a email to the case officer offering an assurer if they didnt think the missus could support me if need be and also offering this meeting we should have had ages ago. Extremely pleasant and polite email i may add. I got one back saying thanks for your comments but a letter is in the post.
I have no doubts in my mind that this will be a knock back although the missus says im being a bit paranoid. I am expecting this letter within a few days and would like some advice on what our options are. As i said above, im sure this will be a knockback so i want to get the ball rolling on appeals or whatever we can do. Funds are running low and i need to get some work in as well so we need to get our next move sorted asap. These people have a job to do but in our case they have not done it properly! We are both walking around like zombies, worried sick. Please give us some advice and anyinfo that could cheer us up. We are the most genuine couple you could ever meet and my faith in humanity needs reassuring. I beleive these people are trying to kill us. Please help us. Restore my faith in humanity and the system we all kind of love. Thank you friends. K.....
Old Jul 14th 2003, 5:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can I be nosey and ask how long you and your wife knew each other & were involved in the relationship before you married?

Maybe you should ask one of the agents for advice? I know there is an appeals procedure for some of the visas, but I don't know if the spouse visa is one of them.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 6:11 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Can I be nosey and ask how long you and your wife knew each other & were involved in the relationship before you married?

Maybe you should ask one of the agents for advice? I know there is an appeals procedure for some of the visas, but I don't know if the spouse visa is one of them.
A spouse/fiance visa is an Australian-sponsored visa, so there is a right of review (which is different from appeal). If the review fails, then there is an avenue of appeal.

Peter
Old Jul 14th 2003, 6:19 am
Just Joined

kieronjp3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default as above

we met in oct 2001. i returned to blighty in march 2002 and then back to oz in aug 2002 to live at hers.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Meretta is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, everyone feels pessamistic when they're waiting for news, maybe things will be fine and you'll get the visa.
If not then I think the first think to do is to take your case to a migration agent.
If the information you have sent wasn't enough, (wills and things) and I assume you also sent the basics like joint bank accounts and stat dec's from friends (who do know that you'r emarried), then it's time to get an expert on the case.

I will cost you, but you have to look at whether it will be worth it in the end, the sooner you get your visa, the sooner you can start work and get some income coming in, and the longer it drags on the more money it will cost you. I expect that is an agent gets involved before you request a review, then it's a lot less work for them than lodging an appeal.

You will get some good advice from a forum such as this, but if your case is going as badly as you think it is, then I think you should take it to a professional.

Goodluck
Meretta
Old Jul 14th 2003, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of mine had a similar problem getting her hubby a visa, he was turkish and 19, and she was 40! So you can imagine what the authorities thought!

It took a while but she just kept bombarding them with evidence and stat decs from friends, her MP and local vicar! I wrote a letter expressing my opinion on the relationship along with many others.

You definately should get an agents advice, but in the mean time get everyone to do you stat decs etc so you've got as much evidence as possible.

My friend and her husband are now together and living happily in Essex!

Good luck,
Karen
Old Jul 15th 2003, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Moo30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi K,

Unfortunately Immigration doesn't mix terribly well with romance, particularly for those who choose to be spontaneous and don't look into the visa requirements before hand. My now hubby is English and went back to the UK around the same time as you did in 2002 to wait for his fiance visa (we'd met a year earlier). We looked into everything before making decisions on the best way for us to stay together and decided to follow all the rules as we didn't want to run the risk of getting on the wrong side of the bureacrats at DIMA, who with their little bit of power, hold your life in their hands .... we have found most of them to be completely devoid of any empathy. My hubby was on a Working Holiday Visa which expired March 2002, he went back to the UK and applied for a Prospective Marriage Visa, then arrived back in Aus on this visa in Oct 2002. We married April 2003 as planned, then applied for the stage 2 Temp Spouse Visa in May. He received the grant for this visa 6 weeks later.

Unless you follow the correct proceedure in regard to spouse visas and provide lots of evidence, no matter how genuine you both are, any deviation from the DIMA rules raises a red flag and they drag the process out. I think it might be a good idea for you to seek some professional advice, particularly if you get a knock back, but hopefully the additional info you've supplied will do the trick and you'll find your visa granted when you receive your letter. Good luck and don't give up .... as a fellow spouse-applicant I can defintely empathise!