please help!!!

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:18 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default please help!!!

I think I may have posted my previous request on the wrong page!! Sorry! I'm new to this site!!!!
My problem is that I only work 19 hours as a nurse and understand you have to work 20 hours or more to be considered for a visa. Can anyone help me with this? From the skills test form I understand I do not need to send proof of hours worked, but I understand I will have to send a wage slip with my visa application. Is it possible for me to increase my hours now so that when the time comes for me to send off my visa application I will have a wage slip with 20+ hours on it? I have worked for the same employer since I started my training, back in 1986 and have a great deal of experience. However, since the birth of my children I have gradually reduced my hours so that I can spend some time with them at home. It seems unfair, given my experience, to be penalized for working less hours. Hope someone can advise me!!
Regards, Tracey
Old Oct 5th 2003, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

cam the man is an unknown quantity at this point

It is unfair, but that's the rules.
My wife is a primary teacher with 12 years experience and because of our children has recently (last year or so) only worked supply for less than 20 hours per week.
She has had her skills assessed which was passed but because of the 20 hours worked she will not be eligible for any additional points!
If you can increase your hour(s) then do so.
Good luck
Old Oct 5th 2003, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough

Hi Tracey
I'm afraid it is 20 hours to get the maximum points. I also am a nurse, and like you have worked part-time since having kids. Fortunately I work 20 hours per week. So just got in there with the points. I didnt send pay slips with my application but did send in a letter from my ward manager stating what my experience was, how long I had worked there etc. She also said in the letter what my hours were, and that I was always prepared to work extra hours if required. Maybe you could just increase by that extra hour... would that be a problem. I think it might be worth it. I would certainly make sure that you have letters which provide evidence of your experience, on headed notepaper and signed by your employer. Have you sorted out your registration in Australia yet, once you have this, there should be no problem getting a visa. Hope this helps.:-)
Old Oct 5th 2003, 4:12 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cam (the man!) and Heather,

thanks for the replies.

It shouldn't be a problem for me to increase my hours. My manager has said she will talk to her manager and ask if I can increase from 2 nights a week to 5 nights a fortnight. For the skills assessment I understand I need a letter off my employers to proove how long I have worked there and my manager to give evidence of experience. It does not say on the skills test application that I need to give hours. If, then, I increase my hours after Xmas, when I am ready to send main visa off and can provide a wage slip with my increased hours on, surley this will be alright?

I just want to make sure that when I apply they will not turn me down.

Regards, Tracey
Old Oct 5th 2003, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Tracey
I doubt if they will turn you down. You are an experienced nurse, which is an occupation which is in demand at the moment in Aus. They have problems with recruitment and retention same as here in the UK, so I dont think you should worry. Are you planning on applying for a permanent residency visa or a temporary visa?
Old Oct 5th 2003, 7:33 pm
happy to be here!

Hi Heather,

I'm planning on applying for a permanent visa, that way I can work part time, cos I won't have my mum to help! Also, hopefully, if my husband gets a job before we arrive (he's in civil engineering) I can take some time out to get the kids and house etc sorted out first.

Are you going for a permanent visa and have you started the ball rolling yet? I'm just getting the stuff together for the ANC (funny, its feels as if I'm going to South Africa!) I asked work for a letter of my employment history and at the beginning they state that I have been employed by them since 1986 (correct) and then when they list my posts they start from 1973 (God, I was only 7 then). I've rang them and they said they will look into it! I know the NHS is desperate for staff, but child labour!!!!!!!!)

Thanks anyway for your encouragement. I'll get back to you to let you know how I get on. good luck with your application.

Tracey
Old Oct 5th 2003, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Tracey
I am applying for PR. I sorted out my registration first as I had planned on going over on a temporary business visa for up to 4years and working for an agency like Geneva. Found out that I would have to pay for schooling if not on PR, plus there were a few other issues as well, so to cut a long story short, we decided to go for the PR visa instead.
Anyway I soon discoverred that getting registered first with NSW board was actually better as I then only needed to have a modified assessment done by the ANC instead of the full one. It worked out a lot cheaper too. Registration took about 8 weeks as did the skills assessment. While waiting for the skills assessment, we had our police checks and medicals done so that as soon as the assessment came back from the ANC, I could send off the 47SK visa application form.
Got that all sent off on 15th Sept, they acknowledged receipt of it by email a week later, nothing heard since. Said on the email that the processing time would be 12 to 16 weeks.
Like you I want to continue working part time...will hopefully do bank work when we get out there. I work in paediatrics so I am limited to only a couple of childrens hospitals in Sydney.
Best of luck with the ANC, there is a heck of a lot of paperwork involved and that was just for the modified assessment!!
Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:31 am
Jaj

Default Re: please help!!!

Anything less than 20 hours per week is not counted by DIMIA. It's as
simple as that.

Your options are:

1. Increase your hours to 20 per week for 6 months, then you'll be
eligible to apply for a Skill Matching visa if you get sponsorship
from a participating state government (South Australia, Victoria or
Tasmania).

2. Increase your hours to 20 per week for 12 months, then you'll be
able to apply for points tested migration (if you meet the pass mark)
or contribute spouse skill points if your husband is the main
applicant.

Options 1 and 2 require ANCI skill assessment. You've little to lose
by starting on this straight away.

3. Get an Australian hospital to sponsor you for PR via employer
nomination. Details are in Booklet 5, and you would be well advised
to hire a competent migration agent to help you with negotiations as
there are tricky issues here. Especially concerning the cancellation
provisions on regional employer visas, if the job is based outside the
main cities.

4. Does your husband qualify for migration in his own right?

5. Consider alternatives, if you're flexible and meet PR requirements
there: eg Canada, New Zealand, US.

Jeremy

>On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:18:07 +0000, tracey brien <member@british_expats.com> wrote:
    >I think I may have posted my previous request on the wrong page!! Sorry!
    >I'm new to this site!!!!
    >My problem is that I only work 19 hours as a nurse and understand you
    >have to work 20 hours or more to be considered for a visa. Can anyone
    >help me with this? From the skills test form I understand I do not need
    >to send proof of hours worked, but I understand I will have to send a
    >wage slip with my visa application. Is it possible for me to increase my
    >hours now so that when the time comes for me to send off my visa
    >application I will have a wage slip with 20+ hours on it? I have worked
    >for the same employer since I started my training, back in 1986 and have
    >a great deal of experience. However, since the birth of my children I
    >have gradually reduced my hours so that I can spend some time with them
    >at home. It seems unfair, given my experience, to be penalized for
    >working less hours. Hope someone can advise me!!
    >Regards, Tracey
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction

Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:35 am
Jaj

Default Re: please help!!!

Don't confuse work experience requirements set by a skill assessing
authority such as ANCI and the DIMIA work experience requirements for
general skilled migration. They are not necessarily the same and
meeting one does not imply meeting the other.

Jeremy

>On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:12:16 +0000, tracey brien <member@british_expats.com> wrote:
    >It shouldn't be a problem for me to increase my hours. My manager has
    >said she will talk to her manager and ask if I can increase from 2
    >nights a week to 5 nights a fortnight. For the skills assessment I
    >understand I need a letter off my employers to proove how long I have
    >worked there and my manager to give evidence of experience. It does not
    >say on the skills test application that I need to give hours. If, then,
    >I increase my hours after Xmas, when I am ready to send main visa off
    >and can provide a wage slip with my increased hours on, surley this will
    >be alright?
    >I just want to make sure that when I apply they will not turn me down.
    >Regards, Tracey
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction

Old Oct 6th 2003, 3:25 pm
happy to be here!

Cheers, thanks for that,

I do not want to cosider moving anywhere other than Oz so I guess I'll have to increase my hours and wait. Although my husband has enough points on his own, it will still probably be quicker to use my RGN. I can't consider skill matching as we want to go to Perth and the same for employer nomination as i want to work part time.

We'll have to have another think!

thanks for your advice