British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Planning to Emigrate - Help & Advice Needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/planning-emigrate-help-advice-needed-899301/)

amylaurenhepple Jul 9th 2017 5:18 pm

Planning to Emigrate - Help & Advice Needed

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to the forum so apologies if you see loads of these posts.

Me & my partner are planning our emigration to Australia but we're completely new to this and really aren't too sure what our options are Visa wise.

I'm 26 and an Assistant Underwriter for High Net Worth Individuals, working in London. He is 29 and an HVAC Engineer (Heating Ventilation & Air Con) not Refrigeration.

We don't have any qualifications or went to university. We both have 5+ years experience in our jobs. I am studying towards my CII but it won't be recognised in Australia. My Job is under the Short Skills list as an Insurance agent and his is on the Mid-Long term list. however without qualifications i dont think we'll have much chance of a Skilled Visa.

What other Visa's options are out there? what is the easiest route?
We are currently saving and have a deadline of October next year that we want to move with the earliest being about July/August next year.

Any info would be most helpful. we're just a little lost. most immigration companies are trying to charge us £100 just to go in and see if we're eligible. seems steep for just some advice.

if you need anymore info would be willing to provide it.
Ideally looking at going to Queensland. Preferably Gold Coast but open to options, we just want out of the UK and to start a new life we'll love down under before we have any commitments.

Currently child free and we're living with parents to save so no mortgage.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks so much :o:o:)

Dorothy Jul 9th 2017 11:49 pm

Re: Planning to Emigrate - Help & Advice Needed

What do you mean no qualifications? How did he get into HVAC with no qualifications?

carcajou Jul 10th 2017 1:10 am

Hi, amylaurenhepple.

First, find the closest possible match to your profession on the ANZSCO list. You need to use the precise ANZSCO definitions, as those are published by government, and not just what "sounds right."

For instance, ANZSCO distinguishes between "insurance agent" and "insurance broker:"

1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition, Revision 1

1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition, Revision 1

That may sound pedantic to you, but them deciding you are one or the other could be the difference in getting a visa or not. For instance an "agent" only needs a Certificate 3 but a "broker" needs a Diploma.

Neither of those are university qualifications, those often come from what here is called a TAFE. Not sure what the UK equivalent is, a TAFE is in between a high school and university though frequently high schoolers can take the Certificate I and II courses while they are still in high school (and it is not unheard of for them to go all the way to Certificate IV). The scale goes Cert I - II - III - IV - Diploma and then at Uni Bachelor's - Master's - Doctorate.

If you cannot qualify, this can be a longer term project, TAFEs do take international students and many of their courses are offered on-line.

It will be expensive. Sorry. But this whole process will be expensive.

verystormy Jul 10th 2017 6:00 am

You are going to need the services of a good migration agent. It is possible to qualify for a skilled visa without formal qualifications via a system known as recognition of prior learning. However, I am uncertain if he will with the amount of experience.

There is no quick or cheap way to gain permanent residence. Time wise, best case is many months and cost wise £30k.

The only alternative would be a working holiday visa which would allow you to live and work in Oz for up to two years, providing you undertake three months of stipulated work in the first twelve months such as farm work.

amylaurenhepple Jul 10th 2017 7:00 am

Thanks for the responses so far. Dorothy he started out as an assistant before apprenticeships or qualifications were introduced in that occupation.

Thanks Carcajou, i am definitely an insurance agent its the closest to what i do, i underwrite household and motor business. As for the Tafe ive looked online and not sure whether a certificate 3 is under the business heading as i can't see anything for insurance. I do have a BTEC Level 3 Award for Insurance under the Lloyds and London Market but don't think that will be recognised, currently studing for my Cert CII which i think matches a A Levels maybe higher. Not entirely sure i know it goes up to bachelor level and higher.

I mean we're both open to permanent or temp visa. If we can get out there quicker we'd rather go on the working holiday visa and try and get sponsored. It may not be in the jobs we do but thats ok. The last thing i want is to wait like 2-5 years for a Visa. I have no commitments now and if i have to wait that long itll kind of be pointless. Like i dont have a mortgage and living with parents to save, if i have to rent over here i'll be pretty done for on the saving front. Plus i'm getting to the stage where in the next 5 years i'd like to settle down and potentially have children. So the sooner i can do it the better.

If i went on a whv what are my visa options for when it expires that can lead to permanent residency?

verystormy Jul 10th 2017 9:13 am

Getting sponsored isn't easy. The occupation must still be on the list. Not every business can sponsor and others have a no sponsorship policy. Then, in order to sponsor, a business has to show they haven't been able to fill the role with a local.

I think your skills probably stand the best chance, but I am uncertain if you can pass a skills assessment and you need to research the skills assessment requirements for your occupation. Your partner is unlikely to qualify without a formal qualification or apprenticship.

If you are not living together and have been for the last 12 months, then it would mean you would both need separate visas and both need to qualify for your own visas.

If you were to go on a working holiday, the chances are at the end you would have to return.

carcajou Jul 10th 2017 9:23 am

I concur with verystormy, the best option for you right now is to contact a MARA-registered agent to discuss pathways and Recognition of Prior Learning.

A WHV can be a good way to investigate/see different parts of the country, but is very restrictive in terms of work options (as it is meant to be a working holiday - not a work - visa) and it is best to assume that when it lapses, you will be on a plane back to the UK.

I do understand you won't want to wait 2-5 years. Unfortunately migrating is a very complex process and it can take that long to get your ducks lined up in a row.