British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Photographer Moving From UK to Australia - Visa Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/photographer-moving-uk-australia-visa-help-895471/)

Photographer_Ryan Apr 16th 2017 8:51 pm

Photographer Moving From UK to Australia - Visa Help

Hi there everybody,

I’m going to be moving to Australia with my partner (who is Australian). We’ve been living together for the past 2 1/2 years and as her UK visa is ending soon, we’ve decided to re-locate.

I am currently eligible for the Working Holiday Visa as I am 24, but I’m unsure about a few things which is why I wanted to ask you all, as there’s many mixed messages online.

Here in London I’m a photographer, which is my primary job, and I would like this to continue when we move to Sydney. As this is a freelance job and I’m not employed by anybody, I wanted to know how this works with the 417, if at all? If not, are there any other options that would be suitable?

I’d love to hear what you guys say and see if anyone’s been in a similar position (freelance artist).

Thank you,
Ryan

quoll Apr 16th 2017 9:16 pm

Re: Photographer Moving From UK to Australia - Visa Help

If you've been living together for a couple of years why not go for the partner visa? Much more secure

Pollyana Apr 16th 2017 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 12230395)
If you've been living together for a couple of years why not go for the partner visa? Much more secure

Just what I was thinking. On a WHV the OP will have to leave again in 2 years!

Photographer_Ryan Apr 16th 2017 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12230400)
Just what I was thinking. On a WHV the OP will have to leave again in 2 years!

Partner visa is very expensive, we were going to apply for it initially, before more researched and realised how the cost of it wasn't feasible at this moment.
Despite that, I am planning to apply for it during the first year in Aus, but need to earn more capital before that's a possibility, which is my reason for asking about my ability to work freelance on the WHV

Dorothy Apr 16th 2017 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Photographer_Ryan (Post 12230404)
Partner visa is very expensive, we were going to apply for it initially, before more researched and realised how the cost of it wasn't feasible at this moment.
Despite that, I am planning to apply for it during the first year in Aus, but need to earn more capital before that's a possibility, which is my reason for asking about my ability to work freelance on the WHV

A partner visa is expensive, but so is emigration. What are you going to do when the year is up and your visa runs out?

Photographer_Ryan Apr 17th 2017 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12230448)
A partner visa is expensive, but so is emigration. What are you going to do when the year is up and your visa runs out?

As I said I will be applying for the partner visa when I'm in Australia with my partner, I needed a little more time over there to generate more savings for this. Once the application is lodged a bridging visa means I can stay within the country whilst it's being processed. Staying there isn't the issue, my ability to be self employed as a photographer is what I'm asking about. :lol:

old.sparkles Apr 17th 2017 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Photographer_Ryan (Post 12230619)
As I said I will be applying for the partner visa when I'm in Australia with my partner, I needed a little more time over there to generate more savings for this. Once the application is lodged a bridging visa means I can stay within the country whilst it's being processed. Staying there isn't the issue, my ability to be self employed as a photographer is what I'm asking about. :lol:

The restrictions on a WHV are that you can't work for an employer for more than 6 months. This would include self employed I would think (as you are employed by yourself so to speak).

I'm not sure, but when you get a bridging visa the same restrictions may apply.

I would echo other members posting, and look to find funds for a spouse visa application.

Dorothy Apr 17th 2017 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Photographer_Ryan (Post 12230619)

So what happens to your plans if you have a 8503 No Further Stay Condition stamped on your passport?

Photographer_Ryan Apr 17th 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12230669)
So what happens to your plans if you have a 8503 No Further Stay Condition stamped on your passport?

That applies to the WHV462, and from what I can see on border.gov.au, not the WHV417 which is what I'm applying for.
It's a shame that you seem to repeatedly be trying to poke holes in what I'm applying for rather than trying to give genuine help.

Grayling Apr 17th 2017 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Photographer_Ryan (Post 12230832)
That applies to the WHV462, and from what I can see on border.gov.au, not the WHV417 which is what I'm applying for.
It's a shame that you seem to repeatedly be trying to poke holes in what I'm applying for rather than trying to give genuine help.

It is genuine advice....what are you expecting?

You have a viable chance of a visa (partner) but are opting for an unsuitable and potentially risky route instead

Do you really expect anyone to applaud?

Photographer_Ryan Apr 17th 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 12230848)
It is genuine advice....what are you expecting?

You have a viable chance of a visa (partner) but are opting for an unsuitable and potentially risky route instead

Do you really expect anyone to applaud?

What is risky and unsuitable about it?

quoll Apr 17th 2017 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Photographer_Ryan (Post 12230853)
What is risky and unsuitable about it?

Getting a "no further stay" stamp on your visa would be risk number 1. Just go for the partner visa and be done with it - sure it's expensive but emigration is expensive - save up in UK, you'll probably have more luck with that. If you rock up with a permanent visa you are going to be more attractive to employers and have more stability. WHV holders are usually there for a bit of barista work or some fruit picking.

Pollyana Apr 17th 2017 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Photographer_Ryan (Post 12230832)

A 'No Further Stay' clause can be imposed on any visa, including a 417.

Your plan might work but it might not. To be honest it would be a lot easier if you applied for the Spouse Visa offshore and entered on that. I do take your point about the cost of it but emgrating is a desperately expensive business and if you struggle to raise the $7000 for the Spouse Visa whle at home in the UK with (presumably) a good steady income, then I think you will find it almost impossible to raise the money whilst trying to start a new life and a new business in a strange country Just a fact of life - not trying to put you off, but its expensive here and you will have no steady income from which to save up.

xizzles Apr 17th 2017 9:27 pm

That's the problem with rose tinted glasses, pastures that often look greener on the other side and the proverbial pot of (fool's) gold at the end of the rainbow that surely must appear bigger and brighter Down Under.

Oh, to be young again.

geoff52 Apr 17th 2017 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 12231081)

Oh, to be young again.

No thanks, too stressful.