British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Pets (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/pets-81495/)

colinnsam Jun 3rd 2002 8:10 pm

Pets

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience of taking pets to OZ.
I have two siamese cats that are a big part of our family so they have to come with us. I already have a quote on cost, but would like to hear from anyone who has any experience of moving their pets abroad.

COLIN

ndaltonb Jun 4th 2002 10:08 am

Re: Pets

Hi Colin,

I havn't taken my pets yet but you may want to post your message on alt.travel.uk.air

There seems to be quite a lot of info there as well.

Nigel db

yvsie Jun 4th 2002 10:16 am

Nigel,
Whats the address...Ive typed variations of what you put...and can't find it!!!

Thanks

yvsie Jun 4th 2002 10:25 am

Just been onto expat chat bit of this ng and found this.....

www.petsonthego.com....this may be useful!!!!

I was pretty sure that we were gonna leave our almost 13yr old jack russell with a family member who is very happy to adopt her....but she has had a trip to the vets this weekend...for sutures...a BIG dog bit her....i was really upset....so now I cant help thinking....what am I gonna be like if I leave her here??????

so Im looking at the cost etc implications now.....she will need to be up to date with usual imms and also need rabies and a 'chip' thing??????

Ktylawson Jun 4th 2002 11:20 am

Hi Colin

i too am in the same boat. I am taking my two cats with us as well. We are hoping to
go in December, when are you going?

Perhaps we can trade stories, hints ect....

If i can be any help let me know Kate

Graham Wood Jun 4th 2002 1:20 pm

Well my 2 cats arrived in December. They did find the sudden change in temp a little
hard as they had their winter coats. Your cats will have to spend 30 days in jail
(quarantine) in eastern creek just on the out skirts of Sydney. I drove 14 hours to
see them, one spat at me, one ignored me, so there was no difference fro normal.

My cats did not like it there, even though the girls looking after them did a great
job. They were than shipped up to Brisbane and then on to the sun shine coast. Since
then got here in Jan they have settled in. No real problems.

Their coats are a lot thinner, they both hate the fruit bats with a vengeance, and
love to sleep in the sun. So all in all they have a great life.

KtyLawson wrote:

> Hi Colin
    >
    > i too am in the same boat. I am taking my two cats with us as well. We are hoping
    > to go in December, when are you going?
    >
    > Perhaps we can trade stories, hints ect....
    >
    > If i can be any help let me know Kate

col Jun 4th 2002 5:54 pm

I have two cats Smokey and bandit. Looked in to the cost of shipping them to perth about £1000. Thought about leaving them behind, but not sure whether I could do it. Only problems I've seen is rented accomadation not too many people want to have pets. Considering we might be in rented for quite awhile I'm still having doubts. Trapped between a rock and a hard place type scenario.

colinnsam Jun 4th 2002 6:39 pm

Thanks for the replys, I didn't expect the cats to spend time in quarantine though.
Colin

Lana Jun 4th 2002 8:00 pm

We are gonna have to leave our cats with friends. Just the trip would be so hard on them already, it's over 18h. And they were born right here in my house, so they haven't been anywhere other than the vet down the street. It breaks my heart, but I think it is best for them.

Rob Jun 4th 2002 10:20 pm

col wrote:

>I have two cats Smokey and bandit. Looked in to the cost of shipping them to perth
    >about £1000.

I dread to think what it's going to cost to send and quarantine my 7 stone labrador.
Whatever the cost is, he's coming too. I've had him from 6 weeks to 4 years. I worked
from home. The 30 day quarantine will be tough on him, but kinder than a lifetime
with someone else who'll leave him at home to go out to work every day.

Lynn-ann Jun 4th 2002 11:27 pm

Hi, We are taking our four Labs. Mum and her three 2 year old pups. Mad 'YES' but they are part of our family and I could not go without them. Vaughan's doing some training with them at the moment with a rubber snake, fishing line and chilli sauce. So far so good. Hopfully by the time we are in Oz the last thing they will want to do is play with snakes.
We are sending them by Golden Arrows. Looked at quite afew and this one seem to suite us best. One month in Quarantine to 14 year plus, good odds to me.
Good luck to all you pet lovers.

Tatiana Jun 5th 2002 6:18 am

useful link: Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS)
www.aqis.gov.au

Ktylawson Jun 5th 2002 9:20 am

You cats only have to spend upto 30 days in quarantine, so they might let them out
earlier, especially if they have had all the vet checks, jabs and so forth.

I know what you mean though it does seem a long time. I am more worried about the
flight as my cat has a kidney problem and needs lots of water ......

I am sure though they would have a better life in OZ...all that sunshine can't be a
bad thing, besides that i couldn't leave them and i need to leave here so they have
to come too!

Axel Van Kampen Jun 5th 2002 9:20 am

I can relate to this dilemma.

We are going leaving Australia after 19 years to live in the US and we have two dogs,
Axel and Hercules (Sharpei & Rottie), two big babies really.

We can't take them with us and it is the hardest thing to leave them behind since we
had them both from pups but its probably the best for them both. But I'm crying every
day just thinking about it.

"Lana" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > We are gonna have to leave our cats with friends. Just the trip would be so hard on
    > them already, it's over 18h. And they were born right here in my house, so they
    > haven't been anywhere other than the vet down the street. It breaks my heart, but I
    > think it is best for them.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Ktylawson Jun 5th 2002 10:20 am

I have also looked into the cost of shipping them and the quarantine fee it will
roughly cost just over £1000 shipping can be anything from £700-£1000 depending on
which per carrier you go with and then there is quarrantine on top. Quarrantine is
$12 per day + $9 for each extra cat, so you are looking at $21 per day and for 30
days that's $588, this is in Melbourne though, i don't think it will be any
different.

It does cost a lot more for dogs though, these prices are for cats only.