Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Personal question, but how much money is enough?

Wikiposts

Personal question, but how much money is enough?

Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:10 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal question, but how much money is enough?

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Is that an online booklet or can you order it? Would be interested in that. Thanks
If you are applying for a 175 or 176 you would go to www.immi.gov.au and download booklet 6.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Richard007 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mooncat
Yes it does make a difference as you're not entitled to any benefits at all on a 457 (sponsored) visa. Can I ask how much family credit is? Is it like child benefit/family allowance in the UK?
we get $150 a fortnight...for family credit....bout the same as UK i think...

do you have to pay for school for your kids on a 457? my mate has been ofered a job in Brissy and heard he has to pay....oh and does he need private health care?...anyone know?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Richard007
we get $150 a fortnight...for family credit....bout the same as UK i think...

do you have to pay for school for your kids on a 457? my mate has been ofered a job in Brissy and heard he has to pay....oh and does he need private health care?...anyone know?
Hi Richard,

No you don't have to pay for schooling on a 457. I know you do on some temp visa's but not sure which. Private health care..also yes. You need to buy a policy which is expatriate cover aswell which from what I can gather is nearly twice the price of cover you can get on a permanent visa. Will dig out the links I have and post em up in a mo.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mooncat
Hi Richard,

No you don't have to pay for schooling on a 457. I know you do on some temp visa's but not sure which. Private health care..also yes. You need to buy a policy which is expatriate cover aswell which from what I can gather is nearly twice the price of cover you can get on a permanent visa. Will dig out the links I have and post em up in a mo.
Went on iselect.com which only offers policies which apply to permanent visa holders but spoke to a guy who suggested the following sites (not had a good look myself yet so can't give you any more info than this)
www.aushealth.com
www.ahm.com.au
www.manchesterunity.com.au

I did try and get expat cover from the uk and I know that the first one is definitely cheaper than anything I was quoted from the UK.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iwilldoit
Hi Mooncat

Have to say after reading your reply it has given me hope, we wont have much money to take at all, and i have been really worried, as we will be leaving everything behind, its a big scary step but i have to say well done to you.

Sharon
Hi Sharon,

No worries. Oh God I've got the slang down already!! Don't get too stressed. We felt exactly the same as you. Anything is possible if you want it badly enough.As long as you know you have somewhere to stay and/or a job to go to, all you need to do is put food on the table and afford to get around on the bus. Hey, what else matters? Our kids are really happy just going in the pool or on the beach. They haven't once mentioned theme parks or trips out and neither have we. That's something that will come when we have money spare and time off. Life is what you make it and it doesn't matter what country you're in as long as you're happy.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 1:22 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Is that an online booklet or can you order it? Would be interested in that. Thanks
Yes, you have to give me your credit card number for this link.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

Last edited by janicebks; Sep 22nd 2007 at 1:33 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you are applying for a 175 or 176 you would go to www.immi.gov.au and download booklet 6.
Thanks for that.