Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Personal question, but how much money is enough?

Wikiposts

Personal question, but how much money is enough?

Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

louise-ni will become famous soon enough
Default Personal question, but how much money is enough?

Hubby & I have been talking about how much money we will have to bring with us, how much is enough????? An open question I know, we have 2 young children and we really need to be sure that we will be ok.

We will be selling our house which gives us a lot of equity, but dont really want to live off that as we would rather put it down as a deposit on another.

So what im really asking is ....... How much did you bring with you and was it enough?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal question, but how much money is enough?

I think that no matter how much you bring you will be just fine providing you budget and don't buy impulsively.

Just make sure you know what you want and what you need, and try to stick to just that. It's very easy to 'dip' into money you have put aside so you really have to be firm with yourself.

Try to set up a separate savings account to put your house money in, then it won't be as easy to spend.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by louise-ni
Hubby & I have been talking about how much money we will have to bring with us, how much is enough????? An open question I know, we have 2 young children and we really need to be sure that we will be ok.

We will be selling our house which gives us a lot of equity, but dont really want to live off that as we would rather put it down as a deposit on another.

So what im really asking is ....... How much did you bring with you and was it enough?
That is the million dollar question.
The more you bring, the more you will spend. The least you bring, you will make it last.
We brought over 250thousand Pounds and spent the lot in 2 months. Yes we got a house, car, van, furniture etc...but looking back we didn't need to be in such a hurry to get all that. Now i wish we had saved it and scrimped all the way to the bank when needed.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

We brought $2000 £300 and 105 Euros. We've been here since 10th september and have managed to sort everything out, have enough shopping to last us a month, got the kids in school (with new uniforms) put 2 weeks rent down on a house plus a few other bits we've picked up for the new house and scooters and beach toys for the kids till the shipment arrives. We haven't eaten out, gone on tourist trips or in theme parks etc We've stuck to the pool and beach, own brand shopping etc etc. We knew we had very little cash so have spent wisely. Consequently, we're set up and ready to start work and move into a little rental. We don't have any money from a house sale coming...just our final wage packets from the jobs we left in the UK.
The point is, you manage if you have to. If you have loads of spare cash and want to live it up for a bit, do that. It can be done and in our experience, cheaper than in the UK.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:25 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mooncat
We brought $2000 £300 and 105 Euros. We've been here since 10th september and have managed to sort everything out, have enough shopping to last us a month, got the kids in school (with new uniforms) put 2 weeks rent down on a house plus a few other bits we've picked up for the new house and scooters and beach toys for the kids till the shipment arrives. We haven't eaten out, gone on tourist trips or in theme parks etc We've stuck to the pool and beach, own brand shopping etc etc. We knew we had very little cash so have spent wisely. Consequently, we're set up and ready to start work and move into a little rental. We don't have any money from a house sale coming...just our final wage packets from the jobs we left in the UK.
The point is, you manage if you have to. If you have loads of spare cash and want to live it up for a bit, do that. It can be done and in our experience, cheaper than in the UK.

Pardon me asking... but did you put that amount on your application form? Because I'm not sure how much will reassure the DIAC I won't end up a homeless and reliant on wellfare and I don't have too much to spare...

Janice
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Well done to you, it depends how much you want something
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Thanks mooncat for that post...I won't be going over with a lot either and it's nice to hear that it is still possible
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janicebks
Pardon me asking... but did you put that amount on your application form? Because I'm not sure how much will reassure the DIAC I won't end up a homeless and reliant on wellfare and I don't have too much to spare...

Janice
DIAC don't care how much you come over with. You will not be able to claim welfare for 2 years anyway. It states on your application that you are not entitled to Centrelink (social services) for 2 years and that unemployment or inability to find employment is not a reason for them to consider making an exception to the rule. The question on the application form is for statistical purposes only - well, unless you are being sponsored by certain states and then you have to show the money upfront during the application process.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:17 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dorothy
DIAC don't care how much you come over with. You will not be able to claim welfare for 2 years anyway. It states on your application that you are not entitled to Centrelink (social services) for 2 years and that unemployment or inability to find employment is not a reason for them to consider making an exception to the rule. The question on the application form is for statistical purposes only - well, unless you are being sponsored by certain states and then you have to show the money upfront during the application process.
That's good news. And there I was fretting about having to scrimp until my application goes through. Though I remember some section of the GSM booklet talking about how one should have sufficient funds to support the family for two years or so...
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Richard007 will become famous soon enough

we came with about ..what equates to $200k....we are renting and find the interest on that pays the rent thereabouts..renting has its plus points at first as you dont pay council tax or water...and theres no gas...all we pay is $60 electric a month and ....well.... phone/internet....so it works for us...we will prob buy after 12 months when we get used to the market/areas to buy etc etc...oh and i dont know why but we get family credit (or whatever its called) and help with nursery and they have sent us a rent "help" application form!! so we are getting some centrelink benefits...we are on a 136 by the way...if that makes a difference i have no idea.....come on the cowboys to beat manly saturday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Last edited by Richard007; Sep 21st 2007 at 1:52 am.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

We're hoping to have £20k, then hopefully can live on that for 6 months & buy a car to get us about. But will probably have about half then and will have to manage.
How much money anyone needs is an individual thing, we can stay with relatives, if we want to when we get to Aus, so could save $1000's, but would prefer to make our own way if possible.
Some people go to Aus and have enough cash to buy a house (lucky buggers) and others don't. I personally think it's not a question of how much cash you have it's more how much you're prepared to ccompromise & go without if you're a bit strapped for cash.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Janice

Didn't put any amount on any DIAC form Janice sorry.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Richard007
we came with about ..what equates to $200k....we are renting and find the interest on that pays the rent thereabouts..renting has its plus points at first as you dont pay council tax or water...and theres no gas...all we pay is $60 electric a month and ....well.... phone/internet....so it works for us...we will prob buy after 12 months when we get used to the market/areas to buy etc etc...oh and i dont know why but we get family credit (or whatever its called) and help with nursery and they have sent us a rent "help" application form!! so we are getting some centrelink benefits...we are on a 136 by the way...if that makes a difference i have no idea.....come on the cowboys to beat manly saturday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Yes it does make a difference as you're not entitled to any benefits at all on a 457 (sponsored) visa. Can I ask how much family credit is? Is it like child benefit/family allowance in the UK?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to all

Hi Mooncat

Have to say after reading your reply it has given me hope, we wont have much money to take at all, and i have been really worried, as we will be leaving everything behind, its a big scary step but i have to say well done to you.

Sharon
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

That's good news. And there I was fretting about having to scrimp until my application goes through. Though I remember some section of the GSM booklet talking about how one should have sufficient funds to support the family for two years or so...
Is that an online booklet or can you order it? Would be interested in that. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.