British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   permanent visa help please, 20 years old, one year off been a fully qualified joiner (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/permanent-visa-help-please-20-years-old-one-year-off-been-fully-qualified-joiner-800423/)

casey102 Jun 17th 2013 7:59 pm

permanent visa help please, 20 years old, one year off been a fully qualified joiner

Hi, never poster on anything like this but there is a lot of things that are confusing me with this visa application business.

First of all i lived with my dad(he'd been here for going on ten years) in coolum beach for six months back in 2010 when i were 17 and i know that's where i want to be. I have looked at the different visa's and the 489 stands out to be the one that i need.

I am short five points due to not been working in my skilled occupation for three years but come next year in september i will qualify for those points. So i were wondering come september could i get a working holiday visa and while i am out there apply for my permanent visa, is that advisable? It's just i want to get out there as soon as.

Hope you can give me some info cheers.

joe:fingerscrossed:

Bermudashorts Jun 17th 2013 9:22 pm

Re: permanent visa help please, 20 years old, one year off been a fully qualified joi

Oh dear what a shame you did not get a child visa when you were 17!

There is no problem getting a WHV and the skilled migrant visa later if you qualify for it. Many occupations need qualifications as well as work experience to pass the skills assessment stage, have you looked into this? I am just asking as it is unusual to see a skilled migrant applicant as young as yourself.

casey102 Jun 18th 2013 4:41 pm

Re: permanent visa help please, 20 years old, one year off been a fully qualified joi

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10761710)
Oh dear what a shame you did not get a child visa when you were 17!

There is no problem getting a WHV and the skilled migrant visa later if you qualify for it. Many occupations need qualifications as well as work experience to pass the skills assessment stage, have you looked into this? I am just asking as it is unusual to see a skilled migrant applicant as young as yourself.

I know abit gutted i can't get it now but I'd never been before then and i were just about to turn 18 when i got back so i wanted to be back in england for that, but then i realised after a couple of months been back what a mistake i made since i met a fair few people over there that i became friends with.

In september next year i would have been doing joinery for three years and that's when i qualify for the five points i need in the skillselect to score 60, also am not sure what the IELTS test consists of, if english is your native language does that mean you get the full twenty points?

Bermudashorts Jun 18th 2013 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by casey102 (Post 10763154)
I know abit gutted i can't get it now but I'd never been before then and i were just about to turn 18 when i got back so i wanted to be back in england for that, but then i realised after a couple of months been back what a mistake i made since i met a fair few people over there that i became friends with.

In september next year i would have been doing joinery for three years and that's when i qualify for the five points i need in the skillselect to score 60, also am not sure what the IELTS test consists of, if english is your native language does that mean you get the full twenty points?

No you won't get 20 points for being English, you would need to take IELTS and get good scores.

Have you actually looked into skills *assessment* there is more to it than passing a points test per skills select?

casey102 Jun 18th 2013 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10763213)
No you won't get 20 points for being English, you would need to take IELTS and get good scores.

Have you actually looked into skills *assessment* there is more to it than passing a points test per skills select?

No only just started looking into it properly, trying to get my head round the basic stuff, but by the looks of it nothing is basic about applying for permanent residency. Need to spend a lot of time to understand every part of the application. By the looks at it am at a disadvantage for my experience in my line of work.

verystormy Jun 19th 2013 6:21 am

You will probably need a few years experience in your trade. Experience is not counted until you are qualified. So, your probably looking at 4 years before you will get a visa

casey102 Jun 19th 2013 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 10763999)
You will probably need a few years experience in your trade. Experience is not counted until you are qualified. So, your probably looking at 4 years before you will get a visa

yeah might look at doing the working visa and stay as long as possible then come back do a year or two here then apply for residency. thanks for the info not what i wanted hear like but oh well hopefully i'l get there eventually cheers