Wikiposts

Permanent Resident Visa

Old Jun 21st 2002, 1:20 am
Linda

Default Permanent Resident Visa

Hi everyone,

Would a person holding a permanent resident visa (New Zealand), be allowed to work
and live in Australia? Or would he/she have to be a New Zealand citizen?

I read on the NZ immigration website that an Australian citizen or permanent resident
would be allowed to work in NZ...so I was kind of hoping it would be the other way
around as well...

Linda.

Old Jun 21st 2002, 11:20 am
Winnie

Default Re: Permanent Resident Visa

"Linda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Would a person holding a permanent resident visa (New Zealand), be allowed to work
    > and live in Australia? Or would he/she have to be a New Zealand citizen?
    >
    > I read on the NZ immigration website that an Australian citizen or
permanent
    > resident would be allowed to work in NZ...so I was kind of hoping it would be the
    > other way around as well...
    >
    >
    > Linda.

I think they've closed that loophole now, or at least narrowed it down a bit. Not
sure of details though.

Cheers Winnie

Old Jun 21st 2002, 1:20 pm
Jaj

>On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 10:14:05 +1200, "Winnie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >"Linda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> Would a person holding a permanent resident visa (New Zealand), be allowed to work
    >> and live in Australia?

Not at all.

>Or would he/she have to be a New Zealand
    >> citizen?

He would have to be a NZ citizen. But even then (if he arrived after 26 Feb 2001) he
would not automatically get certain welfare benefits, be able to sponsor relatives
for permanent residence, or become eligible for Australian citizenship.

http://www.nz-oz.gov.au

>>
    >> I read on the NZ immigration website that an Australian citizen or
    >permanent
    >> resident would be allowed to work in NZ...so I was kind of hoping it would be the
    >> other way around as well...

It doesn't work quite the same way in reverse.

Jeremy

Old Jun 21st 2002, 2:18 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Curious...

It's stated pretty clearly that an Aussie PR is allowed into NZ permanently, but a NZ PR/Citizen isn't allowed into Australia permanently without applying for the appropriate PR visa class.

However, if an Aussie PR chooses to go to NZ to work, he/she can't use the time spent in NZ to chalk up the 2 years needed to get his/her Aussie RRV?

Just something that crossed my mind, any comments?

Peter

Originally posted by Jaj
... It doesn't work quite the same way in reverse. ...
Old Jun 21st 2002, 8:20 pm
Jaj

>Curious...
    >
    >It's stated pretty clearly that an Aussie PR is allowed into NZ permanently, but a
    >NZ PR/Citizen isn't allowed into Australia permanently without applying for the
    >appropriate PR visa class.

But a NZ citizen is allowed in on an 'indefinite' temporary basis.

>
    >However, if an Aussie PR chooses to go to NZ to work, he/she can't use the time
    >spent in NZ to chalk up the 2 years needed to get his/her Aussie RRV?

Two points here:
1. My understanding from reading the NZIS website is that an Australian PR has to
have an Australian RRV to be admitted to NZ. To me, that means a subclass 155 or
157 visa, not a migrant visa with a re-entry facility.

2. You're quite right that time spent in NZ does not count towards maintaining an
Australian RRV. The person would have to get a New Zealand RRV eventually, and
it's possible to imagine a scenario where both PRs could be lost due to not
maintaining residence requirements.

As you need to live in Australia for two years to get a subclass 155 RRV, it makes a
lot more sense to apply for Australian citizenship. after obtaining this it's
possible to spend time in New Zealand if that's what you want to do.

Jeremy

Old Jun 24th 2002, 4:07 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremy,

Your 2nd point sounds logical. Just an after thought, of course, since I don't yet have any intention of going to NZ as a PR should I receive my Aussie PR :-)

If an Aussie PR lands in Australia, manages to get his RRV after 2 years spent in Australia, and then proceeds to NZ to get his PR.

If he chooses to stay permanently in NZ, it gives rise to a new question: is his NZ PR a "stand-alone" PR or is it dependent on the validity of his Aussie RRV.

If it's the former, then there'll be no further problems.

If it's the latter, then his NZ PR will surely lapse in due time, as his Aussie RRV will definitely lapse when it's time to renew it 5 years down the road.

Hmmm.....

Peter

Originally posted by Jaj
2. You're quite right that time spent in NZ does not count towards maintaining an Australian RRV. The person would have to get a New Zealand RRV eventually, and it's possible to imagine a scenario where both PRs could be lost due to not maintaining residence requirements.