Permanent resident/return visa

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Shaundawn will become famous soon enough
Default Permanent resident/return visa

Hi
We have been in Perth for 2 years now but my partner just can not settle and wants to go back to England. We still have the house back in the UK as we couldnt sell it and still rent here. He was a big social person back in England, went snowbarding every year, and had a good job which he really liked.
Since we've been here, he hasn't found a job that he can settle in and no one seems to do the early beers on a Friday after work.
Everybody said it would take at least a year before we felt settled but its 2 years now. I'm quite happy here and would be devastated to go back. Plus we cant apply for citizenship for another 2 years which is a long time for him to be so unhappy.
So....my question is does anyone know if you were to return to England without firstly getting citizenship, is it all lost or could he/we apply for a Resident Return Visa?
Also, is there anyone in the same boat who wants to meet for after work beers???!!!
Thanks for any replies..
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 2:49 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent resident/return visa

Hi Dawn.

Check the visa label in your passport as if you are on a PR visa isn't it valid for 5 years?

If so it should allow departure from and entry to Australia at any time before it expires.

If you are outside of Australia you will need to apply for an RRV before it expires but there is no guarantee you will obtain it.

You are looking at it sensibly in trying to keep options open as some who return find what they were missing is either no longer there or at least no longer as important to them as they imagined. However it is a need for them to go back to establish that.

This happened to a friend of mine but unfortunately he can no longer return to Australia.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your relpies....Bix, we had our PR visas back in 2006, and had until 2012 to come over, but because we had our house on the market and still couldnt sell it, we ended up renting it and not comng over until 2009. So lost 3 years before we even got here!
John, glad to hear you finally sold your flat and could then focus on settling in Aus. Good luck to you.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:45 am
Just Joined

John Albany will become famous soon enoughJohn Albany will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Shaundawn
Thanks for your relpies....Bix, we had our PR visas back in 2006, and had until 2012 to come over, but because we had our house on the market and still couldnt sell it, we ended up renting it and not comng over until 2009. So lost 3 years before we even got here!
John, glad to hear you finally sold your flat and could then focus on settling in Aus. Good luck to you.
Dawn,

Hi - I deleted my earlier message because I realised after I posted it that you were asking about RRV not citizenship, sorry.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:03 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bummer.
We had to do the same but quickly as we came over on a sponsored temp visa and the job wouldn't wait.

Obviously I don't know your family set up or financial standing but is it at all possible that you could go back to the UK for an extended 4-6 week holiday? Look at it as a move rather than a holiday so he can get to grips whether it's really what he wants to do.

If you both can't do that can he do it by himself? I say this as my friend wish he had done that and still says if he had they would still be in Aus today.

It was the social life he missed. Basically meeting up with mates down the pub. What he discovered after just a month of being back there was that in fact none of it was quite the same. The venue, the people and the times had not changed; but he had. Without realising it he was now in another mental place and it wasn't down the pub with those lads anymore.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

christina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nice

Hi
We have been in Perth for 2 years now but my partner just can not settle and wants to go back to England. We still have the house back in the UK as we couldnt sell it and still rent here. He was a big social person back in England, went snowbarding every year, and had a good job which he really liked.
Since we've been here, he hasn't found a job that he can settle in and no one seems to do the early beers on a Friday after work.
Everybody said it would take at least a year before we felt settled but its 2 years now. I'm quite happy here and would be devastated to go back. Plus we cant apply for citizenship for another 2 years which is a long time for him to be so unhappy.
So....my question is does anyone know if you were to return to England without firstly getting citizenship, is it all lost or could he/we apply for a Resident Return Visa?
Also, is there anyone in the same boat who wants to meet for after work
beers???!!!
Thanks for any replies..
Hi, are u sure your not eligible for citizenship? If I remember correctly the 2 year rule was still in place in 2006 it then went on to change to 4 years. Worth looking into. Christina
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

We got our visa in the July and apparently the change to 4 years was set in the June. I had contacted immigration last year about this but they say we must wait 4 years.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 7:13 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this thread..........

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697133

If you are in Australia now, if you have spent two years in Australia up to now, if your PR visa has now expired now, then you will be granted a new 5 year residents return visa if you apply while in Australia now before you leave Australia.

If your PR visa has not expired yet, i would still apply for a new residents return visa before you leave Australia for the UK, just in case you want to retrun to Australia in the next five years....................

I think the minimum time you need to have spent in Australia during the five years time span of your PR visa, or after your visa has expired but you have remained in Australia is two years, so you will qualify.

I have read on here PR Visa holders have aquired a residents return visa only having spent eighteen months in Australia, but hey who know's for sure?

I am in a worse position than you, my PR visa runs out in October 2012, i have only spent six months in Australia since it was issued, i am here in the UK, i might not return until October 2012, just before my PR visa`expires. I will be stuck in Australia for eighteen months, as the option of obtaining a residents return visa is a long way off thanks to Ms Moon!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Citizenship is the only way to secure your long-term rights to return to Australia. But at the same time, you need to think about what you want in life. Even for citizens, moving back and forth between the UK and Australia becomes very expensive.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

If you do decide to go back to the UK, get a RRV before your current visa expires, just to be on the safe side. Then just before three years after you return to the UK (less any time spent outside Australia in the last two years before you leave), apply for another one. You will get both as of right as you will have spent 2 years out of the previous 5 in Australia as PRs. That will give you a further 5 years to return to Australia, if that's what you decide you want. In other words, you will be able to return to Australia as PRs at any point in the nearly 8 years after you leave, under current rules, as long as you pay attention to getting the second RRV at the right time.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:14 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by louie
If you do decide to go back to the UK, get a RRV before your current visa expires, just to be on the safe side. Then just before three years after you return to the UK (less any time spent outside Australia in the last two years before you leave), apply for another one. You will get both as of right as you will have spent 2 years out of the previous 5 in Australia as PRs. That will give you a further 5 years to return to Australia, if that's what you decide you want. In other words, you will be able to return to Australia as PRs at any point in the nearly 8 years after you leave, under current rules, as long as you pay attention to getting the second RRV at the right time.
That's a new one on me.
Sounds risque though as the rules may change part way through.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

True, they might, so it's not something I'd want to plan my life around. But as far as I know, they haven't changed for many years; it's not like the rules for getting a visa in the first place, which change every time the wind alters direction.