Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Passport will expire in a year with a visa valid for five years..

Passport will expire in a year with a visa valid for five years..

Old Oct 1st 2009, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

flair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant future
Default Passport will expire in a year with a visa valid for five years..

dear friends
i have a PR till 2014.. will be travelling next month with an intent to live atleast two years in perth... the passport will expire in next 12 months.. should i get a new one before flying .. am not sure whehter our passport agency will issue a new one when the older has not expired as yet
advice please
Old Oct 1st 2009, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

khdmah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport will expire in a year with a visa valid for five years..

Dear bro,

You travel with your current passport once you are their call your local embassy of your country in Australia and get new passport but your old passport will be remain attached with new passport till your visa get expire on 2014 which will be on old one but your travel will be entry/exit on new one

So, go on and before six months of expire date apply at ur country embassy in Australia
Thanks
Old Oct 1st 2009, 7:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khdmah
your old passport will be remain attached with new passport till your visa get expire on 2014 which will be on old one but your travel will be entry/exit on new one
Actually, once you have a new passport, take both passports to your local DIAC office and they will put a new visa label in the new passport.

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 1st 2009 at 7:47 am.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 10:54 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a related question that I've been trying to get a definitive answer on. I've emailed DIAC, got a reply that didn't answer the question, replied clarifying the question - and then got another reply saying they'd answered it

I've got a visa grant, that hasn't been evidenced by London yet. As far as I know this is associated with my existing passport details. I would like to get a new passport, and then get the visa evidenced in that passport (so I then have no need to travel with both). However if I get a new passport and send it off to London with the visa grant details, will they balk? Do I need to tell someone first? Is there a definitive answer?

What I don't want to do is get a new passport and the old one cancelled, then find they won't evidence the visa in the new passport.

Help !
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:48 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I would apply for the new passport, when you receive it, send that, together with the cancelled old one, the grant letter and a covering letter explaining. There should be no issue with them issuing the visa on the new passport.

However you can also have the visa put in the current passport, then get the new passport, travel to Aus, go to your nearest DIAC office and they will put a new visa stamp in the new passport free of charge so you would only need to carry the new one around when travelling.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 5:27 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I would apply for the new passport, when you receive it, send that, together with the cancelled old one, the grant letter and a covering letter explaining. There should be no issue with them issuing the visa on the new passport.
That's what I was planning on doing. Just it would have been nice to get some real confirmation that no big problem would come from it. Oh well, just have to take my chance !
Old Oct 1st 2009, 11:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
That's what I was planning on doing. Just it would have been nice to get some real confirmation that no big problem would come from it. Oh well, just have to take my chance !
There won't be a rpoblem in doing it that way. Many many posters on here have done exactly that in the past - both Moneypen and I have read the experiences on here many times over the years, thats how we know