Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Passport renewal while application processed

Wikiposts

Passport renewal while application processed

Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:58 am
Off to Perth in early Oct

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough
Default Passport renewal while application processed

I have noticed that 2 of my families passports will expire this year and so have decided to renew them (I want them to be valid at least 2 years until we can get to Oz and become citizens with Oz passports).

I applied in April 2004 for a BN136. I have been allocated a case officer now, but have not had any contact from them yet.

What is the best way of proceeding? Can I wait until the visa grant letter, and simply turn up in London to get the visa with the old passports (the ones that DIMIA have on record) and the new ones, or do I need to get certified copies and send them to the case officer with a change of circumstances form. The first option sounds far simply and less prone to delays, but I am not sure if I am allowed to do this.

Apologies, but I have searched the forums, but the answers seem quite varied.

thanks
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:11 am
caz60

Default Re: Passport renewal while application processed

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
I have noticed that 2 of my families passports will expire this year and so have decided to renew them (I want them to be valid at least 2 years until we can get to Oz and become citizens with Oz passports).

I applied in April 2004 for a BN136. I have been allocated a case officer now, but have not had any contact from them yet.

What is the best way of proceeding? Can I wait until the visa grant letter, and simply turn up in London to get the visa with the old passports (the ones that DIMIA have on record) and the new ones, or do I need to get certified copies and send them to the case officer with a change of circumstances form. The first option sounds far simply and less prone to delays, but I am not sure if I am allowed to do this.

Apologies, but I have searched the forums, but the answers seem quite varied.

thanks
Hope this helps......
we had the same problem our passports ran out on 3 of our children at the end of March. So we renewed the passports in the normal way and then you send a form 1022 ( change of detail form to your case officer with the new passport no's . We actually sent it to our Agent but he just sent it on .You need to do this before your visas are issued as the visa is issued on the visas that you already have put in the system. Whether you are able to do it after I don't know... but I wouldn't take the risk !!!!

Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:25 am

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by caz60
Hope this helps......
we had the same problem our passports ran out on 3 of our children at the end of March. So we renewed the passports in the normal way and then you send a form 1022 ( change of detail form to your case officer with the new passport no's . We actually sent it to our Agent but he just sent it on .You need to do this before your visas are issued as the visa is issued on the visas that you already have put in the system. Whether you are able to do it after I don't know... but I wouldn't take the risk !!!!
Hi Caz,

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping there is a simply way that the 1022 route, but if not, I guess I'll be going that route as well. I just renewed the passports online today (didn't know you could do that until today), so they are several weeks away from delivery by which time, if I am lucky, the visa will have been issued (just thinking positive here, does it show)
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

sarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

The easiest way is to get the passports renewed then send them off to DIMIA with the change of circumstance form (1022). BEFORE YOUR VISA IS GRANTED. It is very difficult to do this after your visa is granted & DIMIA do not like it.

This is your best & in my opinion your only option, and less prone to delays,

It is not possible to turn up at London to get your visa in your passport this is done by post only.

Hope this helps, Sarah.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:34 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sarah & mark
Hi,

The easiest way is to get the passports renewed then send them off to DIMIA with the change of circumstance form (1022). BEFORE YOUR VISA IS GRANTED. It is very difficult to do this after your visa is granted & DIMIA do not like it.

It is not possible to turn up at London to get your visa in your passport this is done by post only.

Hope this helps, Sarah.

We have just been asked to get our medicals and police checks done. Our
2 sons passports run out in Oct 05 so we have just got them renewed.
We have to send certified copies of all of our passports along with the
medicals and police checks. I thought this was okay or do we have to send
a change of passport form off. I didn`t know anything about this.

Tracey
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

sarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

You have to send & sign a change of circumstance form whether you have or have not changed circumstances. Its just to verifiey that you have changed/have not changed circumstances, and that all the info they have is correct.

So in answer to your question yes you will have to send a change of circumstance form (1022) found on the DIMIA site, you must inform them of any change from name & address to passport changes and so on.

Sarah.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by sarah & mark
Hi,

Hope this helps, Sarah.
Thanks Sarah,

Have you been through this already?
Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

MarkO'G is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
Thanks Sarah,

Have you been through this already?

Hi,

Totally agree with Sarah's advice. We renewed our passports just before the visa was issued. Had to fill in form 1022 and send certified copies of bio data page.

Send your case officer an e-mail and let them know that you are in the process of renewing your passport and will send them the copies and form as soon as available.

We just went through this process in December before our visas were issued in Feb. Let me know if you need more details.

Cheers

Mark
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Yes I have been thru all this and am pleased to say that my visa has been granted & is now in my passport, if you have any questions then just ask.

Sarah.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 5:54 am

Thanks Mark. Thanks Sarah. I've received the application forms in the post (next day, pretty good) and will send them off on Monday. I'll take your advice and as soon as I hear from my case officer (no contact from them yet), I'll email them to tell the to expect a 1022.

cheers

Neil
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:16 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

We did exactly the same with our childrens passports, when we let our case officer know she said to just send them to london with the old passports, which we did and we rec'd our visas in new passports without having to send off the change form to dimia or having them certified, as london could see the actual passports(new and old), it saved us time and money.

Email your case officer and see if it can be done this way as alot easier.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:28 pm

[QUOTE=spalen]We did exactly the same with our childrens passports, when we let our case officer know she said to just send them to london with the old passports, which we did and we rec'd our visas in new passports without having to send off the change form to dimia or having them certified, as london could see the actual passports(new and old), it saved us time and money.
QUOTE]

Very interesting. I'm sending the applications off tomorrow, so by the time I recieve them back I would have hopefully heard from my CO and I will ask if I can do that. As you say, it would certainly be easier.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:52 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=youcanlaugh]
Originally Posted by spalen
We did exactly the same with our childrens passports, when we let our case officer know she said to just send them to london with the old passports, which we did and we rec'd our visas in new passports without having to send off the change form to dimia or having them certified, as london could see the actual passports(new and old), it saved us time and money.
QUOTE]

Very interesting. I'm sending the applications off tomorrow, so by the time I recieve them back I would have hopefully heard from my CO and I will ask if I can do that. As you say, it would certainly be easier.
we got the kids passports back in 2 days, now send them back by courier they dont trust themselves(royal mail) with sending them back.

good luck!
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by spalen
we got the kids passports back in 2 days, now send them back by courier they dont trust themselves(royal mail) with sending them back.

good luck!
2 days is pretty impressive. Our last ones were 2 weeks, but that wasn't using the online service. I guess it saves time having already paid for them, as they don't need to wait for any cheques to clear doing it this way.

We've also paid the extra 3 pounds to get the original passports sent back by courier. Not that I don't trust the post office obviously.