Passport Query

Old Sep 28th 2019, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Query

Originally Posted by OzTennis
What is making me wary, internet search quotes, the catch seems to be expiring before the intended date of return (so not allowed to leave the UK?):

"How long do you have to have left on your passport to travel to Australia?
6 months
Clients must have a valid passport and valid visa when they board their flight and when they enter Australia. However as a general rule the travel industry recommend that your passport is valid for at least 6 months as some airlines and some countries have a 6 month rule."

Can you travel with a passport that expires in 2 months?
Most countries will not permit a traveler to enter their country unless the passport is set to expire at least six months after the final day of travel. That means if your passport has less than six months remaining until the expiration date, you should renew it right away!

Do you need 6 months on your passport to travel to Australia?
Australia requires that your passport must be valid only for the period of your intended travel in and out of Australia. There is no requirement for your passport to be valid for six months after your travel.
If you only have one passport then the 6 months validity thing may be an issue but as you've got your UK passport to fall back on in any of those countries which demand 6 months validity should you transit through them its not a problem, You've got an Australian passport which is current at your date of entry to allow you to enter Australia which is all you require at that point.
BiP is the expert in all this!
Old Sep 29th 2019, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
If you only have one passport then the 6 months validity thing may be an issue but as you've got your UK passport to fall back on in any of those countries which demand 6 months validity should you transit through them its not a problem, You've got an Australian passport which is current at your date of entry to allow you to enter Australia which is all you require at that point.
BiP is the expert in all this!
Thanks, the bit I quoted said the validity thing includes entry AND leaving date; I appreciate it will be valid to enter but it will expire when I'm there. My intention is to renew it in Oz if I can but if the British authorities at Glasgow and the airline point out 'not current at your return date' I don't get on the plane! I had thought about just applying for a 3 month tourist visa in my British passport but someone said I can't apply for that because of my Australian passport.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the Glasgow authorities are going to be concerned whether your Australian passport is valid or not at your return date. All they will care about is getting you there in which case you have a passport which is valid at that time. The only people who are going to be concerned about your paperwork on leaving Australia are the Australian immigration mob who get their knickers in a knot if you, as a citizen, try and leave on a foreign passport and the UK immigration who will want to know that they can let you back. There is a bit of confusion in that statement above I suspect in that if you were entering Australia on a foreign passport then they would expect it to be valid for the length of your trip because they would want to be sure that you will be legal to leave. For all they know you are an Australian returning home, there's no compunction on you to own a passport at all unless you are trying to enter or leave the country, you can live there in passport free bliss as long as you like. It's only when you try and escape they need your passport.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 9:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, the bit I quoted said the validity thing includes entry AND leaving date; I appreciate it will be valid to enter but it will expire when I'm there. My intention is to renew it in Oz if I can but if the British authorities at Glasgow and the airline point out 'not current at your return date' I don't get on the plane! I had thought about just applying for a 3 month tourist visa in my British passport but someone said I can't apply for that because of my Australian passport.
Again, irrelevant to you as an Australian citizen.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 10:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Remember, as an Australian, travelling to Aus, you don't even need to have a return date. You could be going there and staying put forever as far as the airlines are concerned. (hideous thought )
Old Sep 29th 2019, 12:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The airline in Glasgow won't have any interest in a possible return date. As far as they know or care you are travelling home to Australia on your Australian Passport. Just get here and renew.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments and advice guys and gals. I'm going to try and make contact with London High Commission to see if I can do a postal application for a new passport before I travel (under extenuating circumstances of not being able to get to London or an outreach centre; can get 'doctor's line' to vouch if necessary); if not I'll try travelling on my blue passport due to expire 3/3/20 semi-confident that you reckon there won't be a problem.

Last edited by OzTennis; Sep 30th 2019 at 9:23 am.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 10:36 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments and advice guys and gals. I'm going to try and make contact with London High Commission to see if I can do a postal application for a new passport before I travel (under extenuating circumstances of not being able to get to London or an outreach centre; can get 'doctor's line' to vouch if necessary); if not I'll try travelling on my blue passport due to expire 3/3/20 semi-confident that you reckon there won't be a problem.
You won’t be able to apply by post but you’re fine to travel with a combination of both your existing passports.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You won’t be able to apply by post but you’re fine to travel with a combination of both your existing passports.
Thanks, for my own peace of mind I might phone London to make an appointment for a passport renewal interview and confirm that I must appear in person at an interview, there are no extenuating circumstances under which it can be avoided and at the same time ask if I'm ok to travel with the expiring blue I have. I appreciate the comments you have made.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 3:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, for my own peace of mind I might phone London to make an appointment for a passport renewal interview and confirm that I must appear in person at an interview, there are no extenuating circumstances under which it can be avoided and at the same time ask if I'm ok to travel with the expiring blue I have. I appreciate the comments you have made.
Have to admit I would be more inclined to believe BritinParis than a call centre operator at the High Commission.........
Old Sep 30th 2019, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have to admit I would be more inclined to believe BritinParis than a call centre operator at the High Commission.........
Me too!!!
Old Oct 1st 2019, 12:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh I don't know, they may have started employing people to man the phones who know what they're talking about. Oh wait, no as you were.....
Old Oct 1st 2019, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thinking out aloud (I would like to renew before I travel if I could):

Scotland to London is like travelling from Melbourne to Sydney to renew a passport - is that reasonable to expect people to travel that distance for a renewal?

'We do outreach interviews; click on this link for dates' says HC website; click on it, might be able to get to Glasgow, Edinburgh or Newcastle. This handy information comes up:

Next Visit

Bristol - 17, 18 and 19 September 2019 FULLY BOOKED

Previous Visits

Edinburgh - 22, 23, 24, 25 January 2019

Liverpool - 12, 13, 14, 15 February 2019

Bristol - 5, 6, 7 March 2019

Glasgow - 26, 27, 28, 29 March 2019

Newcastle - 9, 10, 11 April 2019

Leeds - 14, 15, 16 May 2019

Edinburgh 25, 26, 27 and 28 June 2019

Manchester 12, 13 and 14 June 2019

If they followed the same dates this year they won't do further outreach before we intend to travel.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 12:50 pm

Thinking out aloud (I would like to renew before I travel if I could):

Scotland to London is like travelling from Melbourne to Sydney to renew a passport - is that reasonable to expect people to travel that distance for a renewal?

'We do outreach interviews; click on this link for dates' says HC website; click on it, might be able to get to Glasgow, Edinburgh or Newcastle. This handy information comes up:

Next Visit

Bristol - 17, 18 and 19 September 2019 FULLY BOOKED

Previous Visits

Edinburgh - 22, 23, 24, 25 January 2019

Liverpool - 12, 13, 14, 15 February 2019

Bristol - 5, 6, 7 March 2019

Glasgow - 26, 27, 28, 29 March 2019

Newcastle - 9, 10, 11 April 2019

Leeds - 14, 15, 16 May 2019

Edinburgh 25, 26, 27 and 28 June 2019

Manchester 12, 13 and 14 June 2019

If they followed the same dates this year they won't do further outreach before we intend to travel.
You can keep an eye on that page - Glasgow may well be next - but there’s no need to renew your Australian passport before you travel.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You can keep an eye on that page - Glasgow may well be next - but there’s no need to renew your Australian passport before you travel.
Cheers, I have been checking it and it hasn't been updated in months hinting that going to London is the only option which is out of the question for me - as said previously it's like asking me if I was back in Melbourne to go to Sydney to renew.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.