British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   PASSPORT HELP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/passport-help-896081/)

rackcatt Apr 29th 2017 6:41 am

PASSPORT HELP

So we have 5 Australian passports, now that we are citizens.
Not been in the UK SINCE 2012, we now have a baby and would like to fly home for a visit.
However 2 of our Uk passports have expired, paid online last week to have renewed and need to be returned to liverpool to be done.
My question is, can we fly with the Aus passports ? what will happen when we land in Uk?
We have a chance to go in 3 weeks time, but i know Uk passport wont be back in time. Maybe we could take them with us and do over there ? so have held back posting
Welcome any help or advice ?

mikelincs Apr 29th 2017 6:51 am

Re: PASSPORT HELP

Originally Posted by rackcatt (Post 12240948)
So we have 5 Australian passports, now that we are citizens.
Not been in the UK SINCE 2012, we now have a baby and would like to fly home for a visit.
However 2 of our Uk passports have expired, paid online last week to have renewed and need to be returned to liverpool to be done.
My question is, can we fly with the Aus passports ? what will happen when we land in Uk?
We have a chance to go in 3 weeks time, but i know Uk passport wont be back in time. Maybe we could take them with us and do over there ? so have held back posting
Welcome any help or advice ?

Of course you can go, you will just be stamped into the UK as any Australian visitor would, so unless you are staying for months I would just go.

spouse of scouse Apr 29th 2017 6:58 am

You'll all need to leave and re-enter Australia on your Australian passports anyway. Not having your UK passports would only be a problem at the UK border if you're staying for an extended period, as Mike says.

rackcatt Apr 29th 2017 8:52 am

Ok just remember reading about leaving here on Oz passport, then entering there on a UK passport. Was worried we would encounter an issue at immigration as to not entering as UK citizen

BritInParis Apr 29th 2017 5:09 pm

Three weeks is cutting it fine but there's a reasonable chance they could be back in time if you send them off right away. Alternatively take the expired passports with you and present at the border. The immigration officer will likely admit the entire family as British citizens at their discretion. You can then renew your passports whilst in the UK or wait until you get back to Australia.

spouse of scouse Apr 29th 2017 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12241121)
Three weeks is cutting it fine but there's a reasonable chance they could be back in time if you send them off right away. Alternatively take the expired passports with you and present at the border. The immigration officer will likely admit the entire family as British citizens at their discretion. You can then renew your passports whilst in the UK or wait until you get back to Australia.

But they'd be fine with just using their Aussie passports throughout, i.e. no need to present expired or current British passports at the UK border?

BritInParis Apr 29th 2017 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12241180)
But they'd be fine with just using their Aussie passports, no need to present expired British passports at the UK border?

Most probably if they're only back for a short time (and have their flight reservations to hand) but it would save them having to wait in the non-EEA queue.

spouse of scouse Apr 29th 2017 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12241181)
Most probably if they're only back for a short time (and have their flight reservations to hand) but it would save them having to wait in the non-EEA queue.

Ah, I see - thanks. Yes, those winding non-EEA queues can resemble a boa constrictor on steroids, I've spent enough bloody time in them as a johnny foreigner :lol:

rackcatt Apr 30th 2017 11:28 am

Thanks guys, as long as I can get into the UK on my Aus passport, thats all i need to know. Baby doesnt have a british passport. So we will need to go in the line with her. Scottish accents will give our nationality away !!. But so need to get home to see family due to ill health.

Pollyana Apr 30th 2017 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by rackcatt (Post 12241434)
Thanks guys, as long as I can get into the UK on my Aus passport, thats all i need to know. Baby doesnt have a british passport. So we will need to go in the line with her. Scottish accents will give our nationality away !!. But so need to get home to see family due to ill health.

Sorry. but immigration officers look at passports/visas not accents! A Scottish accent is not proof that you hold a British passport, nor is it proof that your child is British.

BritInParis Apr 30th 2017 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12241630)
Sorry. but immigration officers look at passports/visas not accents! A Scottish accent is not proof that you hold a British passport, nor is it proof that your child is British.

Indeed. If your youngest doesn't have a British passport at all then a full birth certificate would be a better bet. I would also take the whole family through the EEA queue on that basis.

HKG3 Apr 30th 2017 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by rackcatt (Post 12241434)
Baby doesnt have a british passport.

Can the baby apply for a British passport while in the UK?

Pollyana Apr 30th 2017 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by HKG3 (Post 12241653)
Can the baby apply for a British passport while in the UK?

Yes.

rackcatt May 1st 2017 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12241630)

Was merely a passing comment ..............

Pollyana May 1st 2017 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by rackcatt (Post 12241725)
Was merely a passing comment ..............

I thought it probably was, however many people using the Immi forum take all comments as gospel.......