Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Passport full and need to travel- what to do

Passport full and need to travel- what to do

Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Perthflyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport full and need to travel- what to do

My passport has no free pages.

I need to travel on Thursday to attend an interview in a country where a full page is needed to enter the visa label.

I believe that you cannot add pages to a UK passport.

Does anyone have any advice on what can be done?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Passport full and need to travel- what to do

Get to the Passport office on Monday and get a new one.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

You need to get a new passport.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, am based in Perth.

Does this mean that I have to fly to Canberra and get this sorted before I fly off on Thursday?

I notice on the Australia Post service there is a 6 week turnaround. I cannot afford to be without a passport for anywhere near this length of time
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Canberra doesn't issue passports any more - they're all done in Wellington for this region of the world I believe.

You didn't keep an eye on your passport before making arrangements?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

This opportunity has come up at extremely short notice. Just come back from holiday so needed my passport.

So the only option is to fly to Wellington??
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Applying from Australia
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthflyer
So the only option is to fly to Wellington??
Doesn't look like that is an option either - http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/...pplying-in-nz/ nor that they would be very sympathetic in your circumstances - http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/...y-travel-page/. Doesn't look like Singapore is an option - http://ukinsingapore.fco.gov.uk/en/h...als/passports/. So much for giving a "service" to British passport holders.

You might have to go via the UK or not at all (for at least a month) I am afraid.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

Get in touch with the British Consulate in Perth and they should be able to issue the temporary passport.

It will cost the same amount as a ful ten year passport but will be only valid for 1 year. You can then apply for a full passport when you get back to Australia, via the postshop network.

Contact details for the consulate in Perth here:
http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/a...ocations/perth
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:45 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthflyer
My passport has no free pages.

I need to travel on Thursday to attend an interview in a country where a full page is needed to enter the visa label.

I believe that you cannot add pages to a UK passport.

Does anyone have any advice on what can be done?
Some of those old visa labels peel out very easily. The Chinese ones especially. Dont try the japanese ones because they dont come out they leave a nasty mark on the page that you have to explain. I think the India ones also come out easy. Take care doing it.

You can try removing one or I"d recommend two of the old ones and put it in for the visa processing with two blank pages.

I am not saying this is legal. Just suggesting that it worked.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this is still the case, but we got caught out a couple of years ago. We were transiting through the States, from Brisbane, and although our passports were only 2 years old, we didn't have the bar type code thing in it, and we certainly didn't know we needed a visa, as the rules had changed. We thought UK passport holders were ok. Refused by the airline for travel. Went straight down to the British consulate in Brisbane, and were issued with a 1 year temporary passport in a couple of hours. There was a photo shop opposite to have the passport photos issued instantly, apparently it was frequently used!!! Hope this is still the case and it works out for you. Definitely wouldn't travel without a valid passport + many countries insist on 6 months validity left on the passport.