Passport Expiry

Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Passport Expiry

Hi all
Wife is thinking of taking the kids back to the UK for a couple of weeks to see the rellies.

We are 457 Visa holders so still have UK passports.

My sons passport expires in June, and they were thinking of going back at Easter.

Are we to expect any issues with trying to return to Aus with only 6 weeks left on the passport ?

Could we do it, or apply for a new passport now ?

Thanks

Stuart
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Expiry

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Hi all
Wife is thinking of taking the kids back to the UK for a couple of weeks to see the rellies.

We are 457 Visa holders so still have UK passports.

My sons passport expires in June, and they were thinking of going back at Easter.

Are we to expect any issues with trying to return to Aus with only 6 weeks left on the passport ?

Could we do it, or apply for a new passport now ?

Thanks

Stuart
Its cheaper and quicker to renew in the UK.

You won't have a problem entering Aus with only 6 weeks on it, but if you do a stopover anywhere like Singapore thay may insist on 6 months validity.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its cheaper and quicker to renew in the UK.

You won't have a problem entering Aus with only 6 weeks on it, but if you do a stopover anywhere like Singapore thay may insist on 6 months validity.
Thanks for reply my sons runs out next year in june and he is going back for xmas so might get his dad to renew his while he is there
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I just renewed mine here in the UK, and I applied at a Post Office on a Wednesday, and I got the new passport the following Wednesday, so it's a pretty quick turn around.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:47 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pink13
Thanks for reply my sons runs out next year in june and he is going back for xmas so might get his dad to renew his while he is there
Planning to do mine when I'm back in April
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Can you send them back to the uk to get them renewed or do you have to be in the country
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigH68
Can you send them back to the uk to get them renewed or do you have to be in the country
In theory you have to be in the country.

In practice you can have somebody send you the application form (can't be downloaded), post the application form off with your current passport, get the new passport sent to a UK address and have somebody forward the passport on to you.

Probably not worth the effort and buggering around.

If you're planning on being in the UK, you can get your passport renewed while you're there.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jan 21st 2011, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the replies people

A bloke at the post office told my missus that my son will need 6 months on his passport in order to return ?????

So who's right ?

Thanks again

Stu
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

A bloke at the post office told my missus that my son will need 6 months on his passport in order to return ?????

So who's right ?

Thanks again

Stu
If the passport is valid on arrival and your son holds a valid visa, he'll be allowed back into Australia. You may as well renew the passport while you're in the UK though. It'll be much cheaper than doing it over here.

If you renew his passport in the UK, just make sure that you have both passports with you when you check in for your flight back to Australia.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

My missus gets the fear that if she applies for a new one whilst in the uk it will be delayed.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lonndongeek

If you renew his passport in the UK, just make sure that you have both passports with you when you check in for your flight back to Australia.

Cheers

Steve

Don't they keep the old one when you receive the new one ?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Don't they keep the old one when you receive the new one ?
No they send it back with the corners cut off.

On Wed the 12th Jan, I sent my passport off for renewal, had it back on Wed 19th, the same day I sent it via special delivery to Australia House to have visa label put in the new passport, and got it back today 21st Jan.

Not bad.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:38 am
Home and Happy

So who's right ?

Thanks again

Stu
The six month thing is a very common myth. Neither the UK or Australia insist on 6 months. Some countries en route do however - Singapore is one - but only if you enter the country, not if you stay airside. .
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Exclamation Re: Passport Expiry

My missus gets the fear that if she applies for a new one whilst in the uk it will be delayed.
If you do not mind paying extra you can get passport done in 4 hours in the UK.

My daughter phoned up the london office made appointments for us and had the forms sent to her address. We arrived, filled in the forms etc, showed up on the day, wondered round London for 4hours easy as.

More important is your trip to the UK as much as the UK doesn't care how much time is on the passport Travel agents/ airlines do. Some airlines will not board you with less than 6 months on your passport. You will have to avoid a stop over in places like Malaysia(long personal experience there - read http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669281 ) as they will detain/ or send you back.

Comming back to Aus (via Malaysia) we showed our Aussie PR but Immigration phoned ahead to Canberra and informed them we were on new passports - relatively painless.

Bruce

Last edited by bruce67; Jan 21st 2011 at 11:53 am. Reason: link