Wikiposts

Passport Expiring???

Old Jul 5th 2004, 7:51 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport Expiring???

Does anyone know the score with passports expiring soon after arriving in Oz?

I arrive in January next year and passport expires in March.

Should I get a new passport before getting visa put in or do I get the visa in current passport?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Passport Expiring???

Personally I'd apply for a new passport now and send a certified copy to Dima. Many countries won't let you in if you have less than 6 months on your passport so you may have problems if you're stopping over anywhere on the way.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

marleintje is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by spottydog
Personally I'd apply for a new passport now and send a certified copy to Dima. Many countries won't let you in if you have less than 6 months on your passport so you may have problems if you're stopping over anywhere on the way.
Just do a search on this forum about an expiring passport, I remember people asking similar questions. The experts that we are delighted to have on this forum have explained what happens if it expires and why it's better to renew it before getting the visa.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This seems to be a very frequently asked question.

Short answer is if you're British, you should usually renew your passport in the UK *before* getting visas stamped. Do so for all family members with passports expiring in the next few years,

There is a longer answer combining elements of the following:

- hassle of carrying visa in old passport
- check-in delays because airline staff may not know this is ok and will want to clear things with DIMIA in Australia
- handwritten visa labels because new ones may not be possible to print
- higher fees to renew UK passports in Australia compared to the UK.

Jeremy

Originally posted by diddy

Should I get a new passport before getting visa put in or do I get the visa in current passport?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 6:05 am

chris n will become famous soon enoughchris n will become famous soon enough

Paul

All of our passports expired this year so we thought it best to get new ones to put the VISAs in. Only problem was that the kids still only get five year passports - but hey, we could have Australian ones by then!

Chris
Old Jul 6th 2004, 7:08 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Thanks,

Paul.

Hi Paul - mine expired in January 2005, I leave in a few weeks it seemed to make sense to get it done, especially as I know I'll be using mine at least twice in the next two years (if not more )

I applied online, they then send you out a pre-filled form for your signature and Roberts your Dads brother!! https://www.passport-applications.co...r1)/index.aspx
Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:53 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

Does it make any difference that DIMA have got copies of what will be the old passport?

Will they be expecting me to send in the current passport or can I just send the new one to get the visa in?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:59 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Thanks guys.

Does it make any difference that DIMA have got copies of what will be the old passport?

Will they be expecting me to send in the current passport or can I just send the new one to get the visa in?

All I know, is it didnt to me!

They have the certified page from my old passport, and the visa is in my new one.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 6:58 pm

[Does it make any difference that DIMA have got copies of what will be the old passport?
You just need to tell them on Form 1022 (?) - you give the old passport numbers and say that they are going to be replaced with the new.

Chris
Old Jul 6th 2004, 7:25 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Thanks Michelle.

Chris, desn't that apply pre grant of the visa?
Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:08 am

Hadn't realised that you'd actually had your pre-grant letter.

Chris
Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
My co emailed me yesterday exactly about the same thing. My daughter and I share the same passport and it expires in March 2005. Following a trip to europe I sent off for new ones and have just got them back. My co asked me if i had replaced them and if so what were the nbrs. She didnt ask me to send certified copies so Im hoping this will be enough. I will let you know though.
Hope this is of some help.
Irene