British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Partner Visa - Personal Statement - Examples? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/partner-visa-personal-statement-examples-588029/)

tom_uk_aus Jan 30th 2009 6:09 am

Partner Visa - Personal Statement - Examples?

I'm currently living in Oz on a Working Holiday and my partner and I are hoping to apply for an interdependency visa in a few months time.

I think we're pretty sorted with all the required documents, proof of cohabiting - joint bills, bank statements, etc.

The thing we're struggling with is the personal statements. I understand that this should include when/where we met, how the relationship developed, future plans, etc; but everytime I sit down to write it, I have a mental block and don't know where to begin.

Should this be written like a story, or with key points?

Would anybody be willing to send me an example?

Many thanks,

Tom (and Dan)

Pollyana Jan 30th 2009 6:21 am

Re: Partner Visa - Personal Statement - Examples?

Originally Posted by tom_uk_aus (Post 7228451)
I'm currently living in Oz on a Working Holiday and my partner and I are hoping to apply for an interdependency visa in a few months time.

I think we're pretty sorted with all the required documents, proof of cohabiting - joint bills, bank statements, etc.

The thing we're struggling with is the personal statements. I understand that this should include when/where we met, how the relationship developed, future plans, etc; but everytime I sit down to write it, I have a mental block and don't know where to begin.

Should this be written like a story, or with key points?

Would anybody be willing to send me an example?

Many thanks,

Tom (and Dan)

The thing is, its just that - personal. You need to just write in whatever format comes easily to you - us women tend to write a narrative.....we met at....kept in touch by.........I visited him, we went on holiday together.... I met his family.....our hopes for the future.......lots of dates, and how we fell in love and that kind of thing.
The blokes tend to go more for their bare facts and dot points :)

If you have anything that needs explaining, like living with parents and they support you cos you're broke, the include that sort of thing.
You can write stuff like where you plan to live, what sort of career you hope to develop, whether you hope to start a fmaily, buy a house etc.

Hope this helps a bit :)

moneypenny20 Jan 30th 2009 6:48 am

If you're struggling, try putting down bullet points of dates things happened - met, started seeing each other properly, when you started living together etc etc. Once you have that, you can start padding it out a bit and before you know where you are you have a personal statement :D

tom_uk_aus Jan 30th 2009 8:48 am

Thank you both so much for the advice! :)

Time has flown by so fast since we met, and I regret not writing a diary to remember half the things we've done together. A list of dates is a great idea - I'll get to work on that!

My current visa expires in May, so *hopefully* I'll have the final draft ready by then!!

Thanks again!