Partner Visa with Mental Health Diagnosis

Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

wu.bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partner Visa with Mental Health Diagnosis

Hello, every one I have been lurking on this forum for awhile reading the threads that give some information on a potential partner visa situation. I am currently dating an Australian citizen long distance... we have met in person. We want to live together in Australia rather than living apart, and it seems to relatively easy to get a partner visa for Australia. We intend for me to get a registered partnership and then apply for a partner visa.... however, I do have an issue in that I have been receiving treatment for a mental health issues for the last 20 years (hospitalised twice several years ago but have been stable for many years just receiving medication from my gp for several years now so not receiving mental health services). I have read that bipolar depression, schizophrenia, major depression with psychosis and/or other major mental health issues could effect getting a visa for settlement in Australia. I was wondering if anyone has advice on the situation or received a partner visa with controlled mental health issues (deemed high functioning by a doctor).

+
Old Jan 5th 2016, 11:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner Visa with Mental Health Diagnosis

Originally Posted by wu.bear
Hello, every one I have been lurking on this forum for awhile reading the threads that give some information on a potential partner visa situation. I am currently dating an Australian citizen long distance... we have met in person. We want to live together in Australia rather than living apart, and it seems to relatively easy to get a partner visa for Australia. We intend for me to get a registered partnership and then apply for a partner visa.... however, I do have an issue in that I have been receiving treatment for a mental health issues for the last 20 years (hospitalised twice several years ago but have been stable for many years just receiving medication from my gp for several years now so not receiving mental health services). I have read that bipolar depression, schizophrenia, major depression with psychosis and/or other major mental health issues could effect getting a visa for settlement in Australia. I was wondering if anyone has advice on the situation or received a partner visa with controlled mental health issues (deemed high functioning by a doctor).

+
Hi, welcome to BE

You will need a full medical for a Spouse Visa - as you probably realise - and I would think they will ask for reports from your GP. The good news if you are going for a partner visa is that there is a waiver available that allows many people in when they would be refused for medical reasons on skills visas - all about keeping families together.
If you can also show/say how your relationship with your Aussie partner is helping your medical condition to stay stable, that would help.

Maybe a chat with an agent like George Lombard would be an idea - many agents do an initial chat for free or very cheaply. It certainly isn't a show-stopper
Old Jan 6th 2016, 3:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks Pollyana,

I had read about potential waivers on a partner visa, but the info was a few years old so that is one of the things I hoped to see if it was still possible. We will definitely look into maybe getting advice from an agent with the partner visa being so high in cost that would be a good precaution, but it is definitely good to hear that it is still possible to get a partner visa with mental health issues.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

+
Health issues aside, getting a partner is probably a bit more difficult than you are imagining. It certainly requires more than a long distance relationship and having met each other. If marriage is on the cards, then the criteria for a prospective marriage visa will be easier to meet.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bermudashorts,

We know it is not that easy to get a Partner Visa, but we are planning to get I think it is now called a civil partnership in QLD so that is the equivalent of married in Australia for immigration purposes from all the websites we have looked so it looks to be doable.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bermudashorts,

We know it is not that easy to get a Partner Visa, but we are planning to get I think it is now called a civil partnership in QLD so that is the equivalent of married in Australia for immigration purposes from all the websites we have looked so it looks to be doable.

Thanks again.
In your first post you said it looked to be "relatively easy to get a partner visa". Just wanted to ensure that you understand this is not necessarily the case, I would think it would be pretty hard in your situation to be perfectly honest.

It would definitely be worth a migrwtion agent consultation to discuss the health issues as well as the partner requirements.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 3:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bermudashorts,

Thanks again.
Yep, registering your relationship is as good as marriage from a Partner Visa point of view. Just make sure you ahve plenty of evidence of the relationship as well