British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Partner Visa: how long realistically? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/partner-visa-how-long-realistically-900316/)

LaLaLayla Jul 24th 2017 1:20 am

Partner Visa: how long realistically?

I am applying for the 820. Immigration say it takes an average of 18 months, however someone told me they got theirs in 5 weeks!

I have some decisions that make with regard to work, so some insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Pollyana Jul 24th 2017 9:12 am

Re: Partner Visa: how long realistically?

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 12301418)
I am applying for the 820. Immigration say it takes an average of 18 months, however someone told me they got theirs in 5 weeks!

I have some decisions that make with regard to work, so some insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

I think you'll find 5 weeks at present is the exception rather than the rule.

LaLaLayla Jul 24th 2017 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12301650)
I think you'll find 5 weeks at present is the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks Pollyanna. How about a Bridging Visa? Is that automatically granted when you apply for the Spouse Visa and does this allow you to work?

Thanks.

Pollyana Jul 24th 2017 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 12302146)
Thanks Pollyanna. How about a Bridging Visa? Is that automatically granted when you apply for the Spouse Visa and does this allow you to work?

Thanks.

If you are applying while holding another visa - eg if you arrived on a tourist visa or WHV - then you will be granted a Bridging Visa as soon as you apply, BUT that Bridging Visa doesn't kick in until your substantive visa expires.

So if you are on a WHV for instance, then the Bridging Visa doesn't come into effect until the end of the 12 months visa.

Once you are on the Bridging Visa, you do have full working rights.

BritInParis Jul 24th 2017 10:34 pm

18-24 months at the moment is the average. Five weeks is likely to be before the equalisation of onshore and offshore visa fees. Applying offshore for partner visas is now generally much quicker.

LaLaLayla Jul 24th 2017 11:34 pm

Thanks. I am on a Tourist Visa. So i will put my Application for a Spouse Visa in just before the Tourist Visa expires, then the Bridging Visa will take effect once it's expired.

I have my own business and I have had to completely shut down operations. I need to get things up and running again as quickly as possible.

Robbo25 Aug 4th 2017 2:27 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12302192)
18-24 months at the moment is the average. Five weeks is likely to be before the equalisation of onshore and offshore visa fees. Applying offshore for partner visas is now generally much quicker.

Is anyone getting work rights added to bridging visas if they are taking that long?

Pollyana Aug 4th 2017 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Robbo25 (Post 12309071)
Is anyone getting work rights added to bridging visas if they are taking that long?

If you apply onshore for a Partner Visa, then as soon as the Bridging Visa kicks in you automatically have full working rights.

Robbo25 Aug 4th 2017 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12309117)
If you apply onshore for a Partner Visa, then as soon as the Bridging Visa kicks in you automatically have full working rights.

Ah, nope I can state for a fact that isn't right as my partner has the business visitor only condition on hers

spouse of scouse Aug 4th 2017 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Robbo25 (Post 12309120)
Ah, nope I can state for a fact that isn't right as my partner has the business visitor only condition on hers

That doesn't sound right. What visa was your partner on before she applied for her 820?

Pollyana Aug 4th 2017 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Robbo25 (Post 12309120)

Then she should query it with DIBP, assuming she is on a BVA. Once a person has applied for a Partner Visa, and the bridging Visa A associated with that has come into effect, that person gets full working rights. it was introduced a few years back, maybe around 2010 from memory, and is different from most other Bridging Visas.

Edited to add - see this piece from Go MAtilda on the subject
http://www.gm-partner-visas.com/part...ing-australia/

Robbo25 Aug 4th 2017 10:14 am

She came in on a visitor visa, therefore the Bridging visa grants the same rights as the visa you were on when you applied.

Pollyana Aug 4th 2017 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Robbo25 (Post 12309242)
She came in on a visitor visa, therefore the Bridging visa grants the same rights as the visa you were on when you applied.

Unless the visa she has applied for is a Partner Visa - 820/801 - in which case she gets full working rights (see my link above to the Go Matilda website) once her visitor visa expires and the BVA kicks in.

Robbo25 Aug 5th 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12309248)
Unless the visa she has applied for is a Partner Visa - 820/801 - in which case she gets full working rights (see my link above to the Go Matilda website) once her visitor visa expires and the BVA kicks in.

This is a 461,so something a little different but still a BVA.

Pollyana Aug 5th 2017 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Robbo25 (Post 12309930)
This is a 461,so something a little different but still a BVA.

Its not bridging to a Spouse Vis 820/801 though That is why she doesn't have work rights.

As I have said throughout the thread, which is about Spouse/Partner Visas, if you are on a BVA, bridging to an 820/801, then you get full working rights. this only happens automatically with the Spouse Visa 820/801.

A 461 is not a Spouse or Partner Visa. Its a Special Category Visa for the family of NZ citizens, a totally different class. For full work rights on that you will need to apply to DIBP.