Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Partner applying for Australian visa 489 - Can I apply to be a police officer

Partner applying for Australian visa 489 - Can I apply to be a police officer

Old Jul 2nd 2016, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner applying for Australian visa 489 - Can I apply to be a police officer

Thought they wanted PR though.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner applying for Australian visa 489 - Can I apply to be a police officer

:
Originally Posted by rammygirl
Thought they wanted PR though.
The 489 leads to PR eventually. They don't have the points to get a 189 or 190.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 11:59 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Only other thing I can think of would be if you had a second language and can pass the translator / interpretor test.
I would be interested if we've had any people on BE get the 5 points from this category. I had a friend from uni who was doing a master's in translation, and her accreditation test was pretty hard. There's a bit more to it than being fluent in two languages.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 12:07 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
I would be interested if we've had any people on BE get the 5 points from this category. I had a friend from uni who was doing a master's in translation, and her accreditation test was pretty hard. There's a bit more to it than being fluent in two languages.
I think I remember reading about 1 but it's not a common one for points for sure.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

philmread is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't realise there was different lists for different states. So business Analyst is only on the list in NSW?
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philmread
I didn't realise there was different lists for different states. So business Analyst is only on the list in NSW?
It is on NSW, NT, Tasmania and Victoria lists.

However you mentioned an auntie would sponsor, so it doesn't matter in that case. Shr does have to live in a particular area though, she can't sponsor if she lives in Sydney or Brisbane for example.

Edit - sorry only on NSW 190 list - although still not relevant if aunt sponsors.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jul 3rd 2016 at 2:14 am. Reason: correction
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 2:02 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't find it on 489 list for NSW list for regional sponsorship.

Where does your aunt live?
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 7:25 am
Just Joined

My partner is currently trying to get hold of her to find out. He thinks it's in Queensland but not Brisbane.

I'm trying to fully understand what the CSOL list is. There is a job on there called Statistician 224113 it matches my work that I have been doing my whole life (since1997) not just my last job a lot better than business analyst. Looking at the Victoria state website it looks to me that they might sponsor this. Also that would mean Carlo and I would both be on the same list. So with the extra years experience and Carlo's skilled partner points and Victoria state sponsorship would we not exceed the 60 points and allow for a 190?
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 7:34 am

My partner is currently trying to get hold of her to find out. He thinks it's in Queensland but not Brisbane.

I'm trying to fully understand what the CSOL list is. There is a job on there called Statistician 224113 it matches my work that I have been doing my whole life (since1997) not just my last job a lot better than business analyst. Looking at the Victoria state website it looks to me that they might sponsor this. Also that would mean Carlo and I would both be on the same list. So with the extra years experience and Carlo's skilled partner points and Victoria state sponsorship would we not exceed the 60 points and allow for a 190?
Vetassess are the assessing body for Statistician. This is what they say about the requirements for this occupation :

Statistician (ANZSCO Code 224113)

This occupation requires a qualification which is assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor degree or higher degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.

In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If the qualification(s) are not at the required educational level, or if the employment has been completed prior to the qualification, then the employment will be assessed below the required skill level.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Yeah I read that. So I don't meet the qualifications and the don't do the same as the ACS in taking work experience in exchange for qualifications.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah I read that. So I don't meet the qualifications and the don't do the same as the ACS in taking work experience in exchange for qualifications.
Sometimes vetassess might allow experience to substitute for qualifications, but they would say so if it were the case. Therefore no, for this occupation they will not.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 8:00 am
Just Joined

ok thanks for your help.

Reading the description of Statistician makes me realise I doubt I'd pass the assessment under Business Analyst. So there's no real pathway for me to proceed
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ok thanks for your help.

Reading the description of Statistician makes me realise I doubt I'd pass the assessment under Business Analyst. So there's no real pathway for me to proceed

I was wondering why you were thinking of applying as ICT business analyst if you have been working as a statistical since 1997.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 9:33 am
Just Joined

well my job title here in UK is Business Analyst which I have been working as for the past 11 years. My work involves creating management information reports to analyse and forecast and target the business. It's a lot of statistical work from pulling data out of a SQL Server database into Excel. I'm struggling to work out if that job appears on there. I mean I am a business analyst so firstly I thought my jobs on there. But the more I research the more I am unsure. I just can't see a clear path to take
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 9:40 am

well my job title here in UK is Business Analyst which I have been working as for the past 11 years. My work involves creating management information reports to analyse and forecast and target the business. It's a lot of statistical work from pulling data out of a SQL Server database into Excel. I'm struggling to work out if that job appears on there. I mean I am a business analyst so firstly I thought my jobs on there. But the more I research the more I am unsure. I just can't see a clear path to take
ACS description and info for ICT Business Analyst is on page 7 - https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets...tions-2015.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.