Wikiposts

part time worker

Old Jul 4th 2004, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

thedrys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default part time worker

I am a registered nurse working 10 hours a week. I read that you need to work 20 hours/week to be classed as employed, so will DIMIA class this as too few hours to be the primary applicant, even though nursing is on the MODL?
If my husband is the primary applicant (he works full time) will he get the extra 5 points for spouse occupation or not? All replies gratefully received.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

marleintje is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: part time worker

Originally posted by thedrys
I am a registered nurse working 10 hours a week. I read that you need to work 20 hours/week to be classed as employed, so will DIMIA class this as too few hours to be the primary applicant, even though nursing is on the MODL?
If my husband is the primary applicant (he works full time) will he get the extra 5 points for spouse occupation or not? All replies gratefully received.
I don't think you can have your skills assessed by ANC if you work 10 hours a week. They don't count that as valid work experience.
Your husband could be the main applicant if he meets the work experience requirements and has an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

He can not claim spouse points for you if you can not get a positive assessment from the ANC.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you without the 5 spouse points. As a last resort you could maybe start working some extra hours for one year to fillfull the workexperience requirements?
Old Jul 4th 2004, 11:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: part time worker

You may well be able to get an ANCI skill assessment, but with less than 20 hours a week you will *not* be regarded by DIMIA as being in current skilled employment.

Nor can you contribute spouse skill points.

You need 12 months work experience in the 18 months before applying to meet basic requirements (including for contributing spouse skills) and 3 years in the last 4 years for points.

But without meeting basic requirements you will be refused even before getting to the points test.

Your options are:

- if you work for 6 months at over 20 hours a week (and get an ANCI skill assessment) you may be able to apply for a Skill Matching visa if you get state sponsorship from Victoria, South Australia or Tasmania.
The Skill Matching visa has a reduced basic requirement for work experience.

- Look at employer nominated PR as an alternative (ENS/RSMS). Rules are completely different to general skilled. It's all in migration booklet 5 on the DIMIA site.

Jeremy

Originally posted by thedrys