Wikiposts

Parents! Please please help

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Aussie_Abroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parents! Please please help

My parents, who are English born moved to Australia in the 1960s. They lived there for 18 years and had three children who are all Australian Citizens.

In the early 1980s they decided to bring the family back to England and this is where we have settled until now. Recently we have been discussing the prospect of moving the whole family back to Australia to live. As us children (now grown-ups!) are Australian Citizens this should not pose a problem, however the problem may lie with my parents. When they left Australia they forgot to take out citizenship until the last few weeks before they were due to leave, and consequently had no time to place an application.

They would like to move to Australia and would have enough money to support themselves. They are approaching retirement age and would be nervous about moving on a 4 year retirement visa with all the uncertainty of the future that it brings. The other added complication is that my father may have to have dialisis treatment in approx 15 years (touch wood that this may never happen!).

Question: Please can someone tell me whether they are wasting their time applying. Would Australia Immigration take into consideration that they lived and supported the country for 18 years? And if they were granted a visa, would they be able to use the medical system they paid into for so long?

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Parents! Please please help

Originally posted by Aussie_Abroad
My parents, who are English born moved to Australia in the 1960s. They lived there for 18 years and had three children who are all Australian Citizens.

In the early 1980s they decided to bring the family back to England and this is where we have settled until now. Recently we have been discussing the prospect of moving the whole family back to Australia to live. As us children (now grown-ups!) are Australian Citizens this should not pose a problem, however the problem may lie with my parents. When they left Australia they forgot to take out citizenship until the last few weeks before they were due to leave, and consequently had no time to place an application.

They would like to move to Australia and would have enough money to support themselves. They are approaching retirement age and would be nervous about moving on a 4 year retirement visa with all the uncertainty of the future that it brings. The other added complication is that my father may have to have dialisis treatment in approx 15 years (touch wood that this may never happen!).

Question: Please can someone tell me whether they are wasting their time applying. Would Australia Immigration take into consideration that they lived and supported the country for 18 years? And if they were granted a visa, would they be able to use the medical system they paid into for so long?

Many thanks

Please, I'll buy a stubbie for the first person who replies
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice

Hi!

Just in case you haven't looked into it yet: Would the parent visa perhaps be the one your parents should apply for once you and your brothers/sisters have settled? I'm not too familiar with the subject, I guess they would need you as a sponsor/assurer and there would probably be a waiting period after you moved to Australia until you could act as such and they have to pay an amount of 25.000,-- AUD each as medicare coverage.

You should have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au and then look for Parent Visa Classes or Contributory Parents Visa Classes, it's all in booklet no. 3.

Good luck!

Lavinia
Old Oct 24th 2003, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Lavinia
Hi!

Just in case you haven't looked into it yet: Would the parent visa perhaps be the one your parents should apply for once you and your brothers/sisters have settled? I'm not too familiar with the subject, I guess they would need you as a sponsor/assurer and there would probably be a waiting period after you moved to Australia until you could act as such and they have to pay an amount of 25.000,-- AUD each as medicare coverage.

You should have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au and then look for Parent Visa Classes or Contributory Parents Visa Classes, it's all in booklet no. 3.

Good luck!

Lavinia
Thanks for your reply Lavina, I'll look in to that. In the mean time is there anyone else who could give any more advice? In particular would the Immigration Authorities take the 18 years that my parents lived in Australia into account? If we did have to apply for a Parent Visa Class it would be a real risk for us children to move out there for 2 years to act as sponsers. Is this the only way?

Many thanks again
Old Oct 26th 2003, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Aussie_Abroad

Many thanks
Anyone else have any advice for me please?? Many thanks
Old Oct 26th 2003, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steven O'Neil is an unknown quantity at this point

There will be no account taken of their previous time in Australia. I would think the best option would be for them to apply for the retiree visa and then after a couple of years of you living in Australia, they apply for the contributory visa and hope your father is still medically okay.

It is a risk in the first couple of years, but I guess the new changes on 1/11/2003 that retirees (subclass 410) do not have to keep repassing full medicals for renewals of their visas will lessen the risk.

Cheers
Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com
Old Oct 27th 2003, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Steven O'Neil
There will be no account taken of their previous time in Australia. I would think the best option would be for them to apply for the retiree visa and then after a couple of years of you living in Australia, they apply for the contributory visa and hope your father is still medically okay.

It is a risk in the first couple of years, but I guess the new changes on 1/11/2003 that retirees (subclass 410) do not have to keep repassing full medicals for renewals of their visas will lessen the risk.

Cheers
Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com
I have just found out that my both of my mother's parents became Australian Citizens (sadly neither are alive today). Does this entitle my mother to become an Australian Citizen also??