Wikiposts

Parent Visas - Little help

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Tatters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parent Visas - Little help

Hi All,

I've read some of the parent visa threads on this board but I was wondering what everybody thinks would be best for my situation.

I'm an Aussie living in Sheffield, South Yorkshire since 2002. I've been with the (British) girlfriend since 2004 and have no problem getting her into Australia under a 'Proposed Marrige' partner visa. However, she has two parents that will need to come at the same time or she will not come at all (I think its a british thing ) They will pass the balance of family test as she is an only child.

Some back ground info on the parents:

The mother is 61.5 years old right now, the father is 60 this year. Both have good health. The mother had a major operation last year but has been given a full bill of health from the doctors. They have just enough money to be financially stable if they move to Aus with us. However I will be sponsoring them myself.

I'm thinking that it will be approx. 2-3 years before we all move over there.

So what are my options?

Get them over to Aus with us on a visitors visa and apply for a Parent (Migrant) visa/ Aged Parent (Residence) whilst in Aus. and wait the 10 - 15 years to get them approved for residence? Is this dodgy?

OR

Apply for a contributing parent visa (from England) for both and stump up the $32,725 each after they accepted by the authorities?

By the time we get there the mother-in-law will be 63-64, does this help with the huge fees in any way?

Many thanks for any help.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent Visas - Little help

I'll start by saying I don't know much about parent visas but I thought you had to be "usually resident" in Oz before you could sponsor a parent, which I believe generally means living there for two years or so - or at least be able to demonstrate your "settledness" - before you/they could apply for a contributory parent visa.

I think you'd be advised to take advice from a good agent about your strategy. If you want to meet an agent face to face (lots of people are happy dealing with agents over the phone or by email) and fancy a trip to the Cotswolds, you could try Ian Harrop.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Tatters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louie
I'll start by saying I don't know much about parent visas but I thought you had to be "usually resident" in Oz before you could sponsor a parent, which I believe generally means living there for two years or so - or at least be able to demonstrate your "settledness" - before you/they could apply for a contributory parent visa.

I think you'd be advised to take advice from a good agent about your strategy. If you want to meet an agent face to face (lots of people are happy dealing with agents over the phone or by email) and fancy a trip to the Cotswolds, you could try Ian Harrop.
But I was born in australia? I can move back there at any point. Can I not sponsor the parents in law after being in aus for what ever period (a week)? My girlfriend and I are planning to get married and therfore she will be eligible to enter the country right away! Or am I wrong?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

This is from here - http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent/143/

Who is this visa for?
This visa is for you if you are a parent of a child (natural, adopted or step child) who is a settled Australian citizen, settled permanent resident or settled eligible New Zealand citizen and:

at least half of your children are permanently resident in Australia
or
you have more children living permanently in Australia than in any other country.

And:

Sponsor Eligibility
Generally, your child must sponsor you. However if your child is under 18 years of age, another person (aged 18 or over) or a community organisation may be the sponsor.

If your child is 18 years of age or over
Your child (natural, adopted or step-child) is eligible to sponsor you if they are settled in Australia as one of the following:

an Australian citizen
an Australian permanent resident
an eligible New Zealand citizen.
Your child's spouse (aged 18 or over) is also eligible to sponsor you if they live with your child and are settled in Australia as one of the following:

an Australian citizen
an Australian permanent resident
eligible New Zealand citizen.

Also I doubt you or your other half could comply with the assurance of support rules without having lived in Oz for a while.

You need to read the DIAC information carefully, but as I say I think you will need an agent's advice if your future wife really can't live without her parents for a few years.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:08 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tatters
But I was born in australia? I can move back there at any point. Can I not sponsor the parents in law after being in aus for what ever period (a week)? My girlfriend and I are planning to get married and therfore she will be eligible to enter the country right away! Or am I wrong?
Two quick points:

- The child who is sponsoring has to be a "settled sponsor", as already discussed. See also:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=441

- The permanent Contributory Parent visa requires an Assurer, while the temporary CP visa doesn't. The temporary CP visa effectively splits the pathway to permanent residency (and the visa application charges) into two stages, in that the permanent CP visa must be applied for within a couple of years of the temporary CP visa being granted.

Consider also what we call the "split visa strategy", whereby only one parent applies for a CP visa, and then sponsors the spouse/partner. This can save many thousands of $'s.

Feel able to telephone our office in Southampton to discuss: 023 80 30 25 25. I would ask to speak with my visa consultant colleague Lorraine Beaumont.

Best regards.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:09 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie

"Usually resident" in Australia pertains to the sponsorship of other visas, such as spouse/partner visas.

As you have noted in your subsequent post, for parent visas the sponsor has to be "settled" in Australia.

Best regards.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
"Usually resident" in Australia pertains to the sponsorship of other visas, such as spouse/partner visas.

As you have noted in your subsequent post, for parent visas the sponsor has to be "settled" in Australia.

Best regards.
Whoops, got my terminology wrong. Must try harder