parent visas and illness?

Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:01 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation parent visas and illness?

Hi everyone, hoping someone can offer advice. Will try to keep it short.

My dad is in England. I live on the Gold Coast.

My dad is diabetic and over 6 years has had multiple toe amputations and part of his foot. He has been told he MUST stay off his feet as he is not healing from last operation which was about 11mths ago. He is facing losing 1 if not both feet above ankle.

His wife has extreme dementia and needs care 24/7. Because of this it is impossble for him to stay off his feet. He only gets 2 days help a week and cannot afford full tme care. Respite care in a home is not an option.

I am his next of kin. My brother is no help. His wife's only relative is her sister who wants nothing to do with them.

They have a good pension and a house they can sell.

Anyone have any idea if they can get out here? We can then take the burden off my dad so he can heal.

TIA
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: parent visas and illness?

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Hi everyone, hoping someone can offer advice. Will try to keep it short.

My dad is in England. I live on the Gold Coast.

My dad is diabetic and over 6 years has had multiple toe amputations and part of his foot. He has been told he MUST stay off his feet as he is not healing from last operation which was about 11mths ago. He is facing losing 1 if not both feet above ankle.

His wife has extreme dementia and needs care 24/7. Because of this it is impossble for him to stay off his feet. He only gets 2 days help a week and cannot afford full tme care. Respite care in a home is not an option.

I am his next of kin. My brother is no help. His wife's only relative is her sister who wants nothing to do with them.

They have a good pension and a house they can sell.

Anyone have any idea if they can get out here? We can then take the burden off my dad so he can heal.

TIA
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I honestly don't think they would be able to get visas, purely because of the medical situation. I doubt they could even get insurance for a holiday here
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:05 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

They get insurance but do pay alot for it.

I too doubt they could stay here hence the question before I see an agent
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
They get insurance but do pay alot for it.

I too doubt they could stay here hence the question before I see an agent
Theoretically they may be eligible for a Parent Contributory visa but would be very unlikely to pass the medicals.

Perhaps they could come on a tourist visa for a while but support would be very limited in case of an emergency

Tough dilemma.....hope you can work something out
Old Aug 8th 2013, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't sound very hopeful as the others have said. Any chance you could go back and help support them? That's what we have chosen to do and so far so good!

Travel insurance for the elderly with existing medical conditions seems to be prohibitive! My olds have tried but had no luck.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 5:35 am
GC family day carer

Originally Posted by quoll
Doesn't sound very hopeful as the others have said. Any chance you could go back and help support them? That's what we have chosen to do and so far so good!

Travel insurance for the elderly with existing medical conditions seems to be prohibitive! My olds have tried but had no luck.

Not prepared to go back long term as we have 4 young children and 2 businesses. Even if I were to go back with our newborn my hubby would have to cut down working hours because of our other children and we'd need daycare for our 3yo.
I think I may head back for a couple of weeks and investigate temporary care in a partnered care home as atleast then they stay together, and he can get off his feet. My dad is refusing to admit he's getting old so needs a huge kick up his ass and if it means nursing care so he improves then he needs to suck up his pride for a few weeks. Without his feet his wife will end up in a home anyway which is what he really wants to avoid.