Parent Visas

Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:16 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Parent Visas

This is all a long way off yet, but I quite hope that in 2 and a bit years time when we have citizenship and Mum and Dad have been to visit a couple of times they may come to live in Aus as we will be better able to support them.

I have read the immi.gov website at length and would like to confirm my understanding of their situation. They may not even want to come so I am not going to speak to agents at this point just trying to get the basics right if the situation should arise.

Questions on parent visas on here always seem to confuse me so I will try and be as full as possible with the details.

Their status is they would be 63 and 62 by then, have no other living children, have a house worth c£170,000 and other funds worth £100,000. But there income from pensions is only about £18,000pa. (They could increase this by selling their house and renting?) Their health is reasonable but obviously they would need to pass medicals.

My understanding is: The parent visa is preferable as it is much cheaper but the waiting list is so long it is effectively out of the question.

Under the Contrbutory Parent Visa they seem to meet the criteria.

Questions:

Is the medical as strict for someone of their age as it was for us. Dad has raised BP, Mum has IBS but nothing more serious.

I have read requirements for minimum capital and income on here in the past but didn't see anything on the website. Is this still applicable to some visa types?

The $27K 2nd instalment covers medical costs for 10(?) years. But do they get any back if they don't need that? And do they have to pay extra if costs exceed this? Would they still be advised to get private medical cover too?

There are temporary and permanent Contributory visa types. Temporary defers some of the costs as far as I can see so would be preferable (I think) in case they decide to return. Is the switch to the permanent version after 2 years effectively certain or are there other risks?
Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:43 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Parent Visas

Good questions which I'd be interested in the answers to as well
Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Good questions which I'd be interested in the answers to as well
CP visas give full medicare rights for life (as any other PR visa). The fees for this visa are not refunded. They are in effect a way of 'buying into' the system.
The Bond of assurance ($14000 for a couple) is for 10 years and is then refunded unless some claims have been made for 'recoverable benefits'. This does not include medical costs as medicare is a right.
The medicals are just as stringent as for any other PR visa.
There are no income requirements but they will obviously have to support themselves. The CP visa gives full work rights.
If they go for the temporary option and it is granted then it can be made permanent by paying the extra VAC. They do not have to repeat the medicals.

I have a CP visa.

G
Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:31 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
CP visas give full medicare rights for life (as any other PR visa). The fees for this visa are not refunded. They are in effect a way of 'buying into' the system.
The Bond of assurance ($14000 for a couple) is for 10 years and is then refunded unless some claims have been made for 'recoverable benefits'. This does not include medical costs as medicare is a right.
The medicals are just as stringent as for any other PR visa.
There are no income requirements but they will obviously have to support themselves. The CP visa gives full work rights.
If they go for the temporary option and it is granted then it can be made permanent by paying the extra VAC. They do not have to repeat the medicals.

I have a CP visa.

G
Thanks Grayling. Just to be clear - it is about $30,000 non-refundable fees (a small one on application then $27K on grant) each AND THEN a $14000 bond for the couple which may be refundable?

Does "buying into" Medicare provide ALL the cover they would need? I have read cases of ambulance fees and anaesthetists fees not being fully covered under medicare.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by worzel
Thanks Grayling. Just to be clear - it is about $30,000 non-refundable fees (a small one on application then $27K on grant) each AND THEN a $14000 bond for the couple which may be refundable?

Does "buying into" Medicare provide ALL the cover they would need? I have read cases of ambulance fees and anaesthetists fees not being fully covered under medicare.
Hi worzel

Once a permanent resident via the Contributory Parent visa route, your parents will have the same cover with Medicare as anyone else living in Australia. They can purchase private health care if they want to. Ambulance cover is necessary over here unless they want to be faced with a large bill in the event of using the Ambulance Service. This applies to everyone who is covered by Medicare. It's not compulsory.

The $14000 is refundable after 10 years, as G has said. Any payments made to your parents by Centrelink for "hardship" reasons (ie like Social Security)will be deducted from this bond and your parents would receive the balance.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:17 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Stewie
The $14000 is refundable after 10 years, as G has said. Any payments made to your parents by Centrelink for "hardship" reasons (ie like Social Security)will be deducted from this bond and your parents would receive the balance.
So it is only social security payments that are deductible from the bond and not medical costs? They should have enough pension / funds not to need social security so have a good chance of getting the $14K back, if so.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:30 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
So it is only social security payments that are deductible from the bond and not medical costs? They should have enough pension / funds not to need social security so have a good chance of getting the $14K back, if so.
Stewie has answered the same as I would have.
I am not sure exactly what 'recoverable' costs are but assume they are some benefits. Medicare is a right so is not recoverable.

Be aware that if your parents do have to claim 'recoverable' benefits and these exceeed the bond then the assurer is responsible for any difference.

If there are no claims against the bond then it will be repaid at the end of 10 years.

Parents are also eligible to become citizens after 2 years (same as any PR holder).

G
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure exactly what 'recoverable' costs are but assume they are some benefits. Medicare is a right so is not recoverable.
And at the same time the Medicare levy is payable to the ATO, plus surcharge if applicable.

Be aware that if your parents do have to claim 'recoverable' benefits and these exceeed the bond then the assurer is responsible for any difference.

If there are no claims against the bond then it will be repaid at the end of 10 years.

Parents are also eligible to become citizens after 2 years (same as any PR holder).

G
1. Parents can only become citizens after 2 years on the *permanent* contributory parent visa. Time on the temporary visa doesn't count (those who apply for the permanent visa straight away don't need to worry about this).

2. Even if parents become citizens, the assurance of support obligations remain in force.

Jeremy
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:25 am

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
And at the same time the Medicare levy is payable to the ATO, plus surcharge if applicable.

1. Parents can only become citizens after 2 years on the *permanent* contributory parent visa. Time on the temporary visa doesn't count (those who apply for the permanent visa straight away don't need to worry about this).

2. Even if parents become citizens, the assurance of support obligations remain in force.

Jeremy
Hi Jaj,

The VAC for a permanent visa is nearly $27000 and for a temporary visa is nearly 17000. And AoS of $14000 need to be paid for getting PR for the permanent contributory parent VISA.

Please let me know whether need to pay AoS for a temporary visa (it is not clear from the website). And if in a temporary visa, will they get PR after 2 years without paying the balance of VAC (nearly $10000) and AoS, if required.

Thanks in Advance
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prince1975

Please let me know whether need to pay AoS for a temporary visa (it is not clear from the website).
No.

And if in a temporary visa, will they get PR after 2 years without paying the balance of VAC (nearly $10000) and AoS, if required.

Thanks in Advance
No.

The temporary visa is a risky option - if there's a problem with the sponsorship or assurance process at PR visa stage, or if you forget to apply within the timescales, there's no PR visa, and no refund of what you're already paid. Such people risk becoming unlawful non-citizens and having to leave Australia.

Jeremy
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:50 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Recoverable Cenrelink benefits are discussed here (you may have to copy and paste this url into your browser):
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/ea3b9a1335df87bcca2569890008040e/5776239f0bbe84dbca256f710081e8d0!OpenDocument

Best regards.

G

Last edited by Alan Collett; Jul 20th 2005 at 1:52 am.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 2:18 am

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
No.

No.

The temporary visa is a risky option - if there's a problem with the sponsorship or assurance process at PR visa stage, or if you forget to apply within the timescales, there's no PR visa, and no refund of what you're already paid. Such people risk becoming unlawful non-citizens and having to leave Australia.

Jeremy

Thanks Jaj and Allan,

So if the temporary visa need to be changed to permanent one we have to pay second VAC and AoS within the 2 years period, right?

And does it really need the CHILD to be an assurer or anybody who meets the DIMIA criteria can become the assurer for signing off the AoS with centrelink??

If we apply for permanent visa within the 2 years and if there is no problem with the AoS, is there any other RISK in going through this route.??

Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2005, 2:21 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Prince1975
And does it really need the CHILD to be an assurer or anybody who meets the DIMIA criteria can become the assurer for signing off the AoS with centrelink??
The assurer doesn't have to be related as far as DIMIA/Centrelink - but who is going to sign a 10 year assurance of support other than a very close relative??

If we apply for permanent visa within the 2 years and if there is no problem with the AoS, is there any other RISK in going through this route.??

Thanks
If you want to have a detailed discussion of risks of this nature, you need to pay a competent migration agent. There is a limit to the advice an online forum can provide.

Jeremy