Wikiposts

Parent visa - Anyone actually got one????

Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:45 am
Sunshine Coast wannabe

shortyanddebbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parent visa - Anyone actually got one????

Hi All,
I have read the threads on here about contributory parent visa's etc, and have asked the question regarding how long it takes for a normal (non-contributory) parent visa. Jeremy has said that it can take up to 10 years!!!! I did a search on austimeline, but there are no parent visa applicants listed there (non-contributory)! Has anyone actually GOT one of these elusive visa's and if so, how long did it take??? I also checked out the queue on the immigration site and as of 8 October 2004 (random date), there are 10300 people in the queue!!!
Any comments much appreciated
Old Feb 7th 2005, 2:54 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all
Default Re: Parent visa - Anyone actually got one????

Can't help you, but I would be very interested to know too.

Cheers.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:08 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shortyanddebbie
Hi All,
I have read the threads on here about contributory parent visa's etc, and have asked the question regarding how long it takes for a normal (non-contributory) parent visa. Jeremy has said that it can take up to 10 years!!!! I did a search on austimeline, but there are no parent visa applicants listed there (non-contributory)! Has anyone actually GOT one of these elusive visa's and if so, how long did it take??? I also checked out the queue on the immigration site and as of 8 October 2004 (random date), there are 10300 people in the queue!!!
Hello - from a Contributory Parent visa holder

You are right - the basic Parent Visa (at low cost) is currently averaging a 10 year wait.

The CP visa was introduced some 18 months ago to offer a quicker entry to those parents who are prepared to pay a substantial visa charge to all intents and purposes "jump the queue". We weren't prepared to wait for the 10 year expiry - by which time we might well have expired ourselves, so we bit the bullet and put some of our hard-earned into funding our visas. This is also a ready source of income for the Australian government and they would probably scrap the basic Parent visa in favour of everyone paying if they thought they could "get away with it" politically.

Perhaps this is just me being a bit cynical - perhaps I am thinking that we could also do with introducing this sort of scheme in UK - no matter what the UK government is currently saying - getting them to put it into practice effectively is probably a non starter!

Back to your basic point - I haven't seen any correspondence on this forum from a "10 year+ non paying parent".

Regards

Jim
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by shortyanddebbie
Hi All,
Hi
Have a good look at the DIMIA website www.dimia.gov.au

Booklet 3 gives all the details on Parent migration.

In 2003-2004 there were 5,500 Contributory Parent visas available and 1,500 Parent visas.

In subsequent years there will be 3,500 Cont Parent visas and 1000 Parent visas.
Currently there are 15,800 people already in the queue for Parent visas and 7000 currently being processed. If you divide the available 1000 Parent visas into these figures you'll get an idea of the wait! As Jim said in a previous post you could be dead by then!

The 3,500 cont. parent visas available are not always filled (because of the huge cost involved) and I believe the average processing time for these are between 6 and 9 months.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Stewie; Feb 7th 2005 at 10:12 am.