Parent Migration

Old Apr 29th 2005, 3:40 am

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough
Default Parent Migration

Hi friends,

>>>>I would like to know whether I can apply for a parent visa Class DG subclass 864 contributory aged parent residence visa or Class BP subclass 804 aged parent residenece visa if they are already staying in Australia in a 3 months Sponsored Family Visitor visa (subclass 679) and meets all the other requirements of the above two visa (864 & 804) category.

>>>>Is there any way to extend their visit visa 679 for a maximum of 2 years. Since the parent visa processing would normally take 6 to 10 months , I wonder in which visa they can stay in Australia to apply 864 or 804 visas.
or
>>>>If the application for 864 or 804 is lodged whether the applicant can stay in Australia eventhough their visit visa expires inorder to know the out come of their 864 or 804 visa.

Any thoughts on this thread is highly appreciable.

Thanks in Advance,

Rgds,

Prince
Old Apr 29th 2005, 3:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent Migration

Originally Posted by Prince1975
Hi friends,

>>>>I would like to know whether I can apply for a parent visa Class DG subclass 864 contributory aged parent residence visa or Class BP subclass 804 aged parent residenece visa if they are already staying in Australia in a 3 months Sponsored Family Visitor visa (subclass 679) and meets all the other requirements of the above two visa (864 & 804) category.
The subclass 679 visa has a mandatory condition 8503 - No Further Stay - so the answer is a clear No.

Jeremy
Old Apr 29th 2005, 8:13 am

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
The subclass 679 visa has a mandatory condition 8503 - No Further Stay - so the answer is a clear No.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the answer. Could you tell me whether there is any VISA that allows, the parents to stay atleast 2 year or so.

Thanks,
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prince1975
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the answer. Could you tell me whether there is any VISA that allows, the parents to stay atleast 2 year or so.

Thanks,

As a tourist? No.

The retirement visa might work if they meet the financial requirements and apply before July (when it closes to new applicants).

Jeremy
Old May 2nd 2005, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
As a tourist? No.

The retirement visa might work if they meet the financial requirements and apply before July (when it closes to new applicants).

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

When you say 'closes' do you mean that this visa is being phased out, or do you just mean that each year there is a cut of date?

Many thanks
Dave
Old May 2nd 2005, 9:33 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi Jeremy,

When you say 'closes' do you mean that this visa is being phased out, or do you just mean that each year there is a cut of date?

Many thanks
Dave
Hi

I can answer this one. This class of visa is being phased out at 1 July to new applicants ie application must be in by 30 June.

Jim
Old May 2nd 2005, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi

I can answer this one. This class of visa is being phased out at 1 July to new applicants ie application must be in by 30 June.

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for the info.

I have to say though, that it seems funny that they are getting rid of the retirement visa, as essentially OZ is onto a winner. They dont have to support people who have a shorter life-span in OZ and who bring in money. I cant see why they wouldnt welcome in retirees. Also it seems bizarre that recently they announced that people with this visa could work 20 hrs a week - why bother debating changing an existing visa for it to be phased out months later.

Are you aware of any other plans they have to replace this 'style' of visa?

Dave
Old May 2nd 2005, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

sarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura about
Red face Re: Parent Migration

Hi,

Didn't they bring out the contributory parent visa to replace this one???

Sarah.
Old May 3rd 2005, 8:43 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sarah & mark
Hi,

Didn't they bring out the contributory parent visa to replace this one???

Sarah.
Hi Sarah

Not so sure about this - I think the CP visa was introduced to "fill a gap in the market" for those parents who are prepared to make a contribution and who did not want to wait to get to the top of the standard parent visa - currently approx 11 YEARS !!

I might be wrong of course !!

Jim
Old May 3rd 2005, 8:46 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi Jim

Thanks for the info.

I have to say though, that it seems funny that they are getting rid of the retirement visa, as essentially OZ is onto a winner. They dont have to support people who have a shorter life-span in OZ and who bring in money. I cant see why they wouldnt welcome in retirees. Also it seems bizarre that recently they announced that people with this visa could work 20 hrs a week - why bother debating changing an existing visa for it to be phased out months later.

Are you aware of any other plans they have to replace this 'style' of visa?

Dave
Hello Dave

There are no doubt other ideas being discussed within government which no one is party to yet and which would be revealed in the fullness of time - it always seems to work this way!

As to the phasing out of the Retirement visa - I don't have any further info on why it is happening etc - perhaps Jeremy will have a take on it ?

Regards

Jim
Old May 4th 2005, 1:55 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
As to the phasing out of the Retirement visa - I don't have any further info on why it is happening etc - perhaps Jeremy will have a take on it ?

Regards

Jim
The reason is that the retirement visa does not fulfil Australia's migration policy objectives. Other countries, such as NZ and Canada do not have retirement visas.

Although it is not PR, the retirement visa offers very long term temporary residence, and so needs to be viewed in the same light as migration visas.

The Contributory Parent visa is different. Australia has always accepted the principle of allowing parents to join children in Australia provided the balance of family test suggests that the 'family reunion' should appropriately take place in Australia and not overseas.

However, the reason the parent visa numbers were reduced to a trickle for some years was because the Opposition parties who controlled the Senate at the time refused to sanction any changes to the Regulations to ensure that migrating parents paid a reasonable contribution towards their future health costs.

Hence the Government reduced the number of parent visas available (something it could do without reference to the Senate) down to a few hundred and the impasse continued until mid 2003 when the Contributory Parent visa was introduced.

Jeremy
Old May 4th 2005, 5:40 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Originally Posted by JAJ
The reason is that the retirement visa does not fulfil Australia's migration policy objectives. Other countries, such as NZ and Canada do not have retirement visas.

Although it is not PR, the retirement visa offers very long term temporary residence, and so needs to be viewed in the same light as migration visas.

The Contributory Parent visa is different. Australia has always accepted the principle of allowing parents to join children in Australia provided the balance of family test suggests that the 'family reunion' should appropriately take place in Australia and not overseas.

However, the reason the parent visa numbers were reduced to a trickle for some years was because the Opposition parties who controlled the Senate at the time refused to sanction any changes to the Regulations to ensure that migrating parents paid a reasonable contribution towards their future health costs.

Hence the Government reduced the number of parent visas available (something it could do without reference to the Senate) down to a few hundred and the impasse continued until mid 2003 when the Contributory Parent visa was introduced.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Thank you for the background.

Dave......... so there you have it.

Regards

Jim