Parent migration

Old Oct 12th 2002, 7:48 am
Just Joined

SteveB_in_oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parent migration

I have sponsored my parents to get out here, they have been approved (and are waiting patiently in the UK) but I know they could have to wait many years before their place in the queue arrives. I have few question that I'm hoping someone can help me with!..

1) Can they get out here on a retirement visa even though they are already in the queue on a different visa?

2) If yes, and they come over on the retirement visa, I understand that they need to go out of the country to collect the sponsored visa when it finally arrives - do they have to collect it from the UK or can they just hop over to say, NZ?

3) How long to retirement visas usually take to process?

4) Can the $650,000 of assets needed for the retirement visa be tied up in property or shares or does it need to be in actual cash in a bank.

Many thanks,

Steve
Old Oct 12th 2002, 8:49 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent migration

Hello SteveB.

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes they can.
2. They can attend any Australian mission overseas - say Auckland or Singapore.
3. About 6 months through the Australian High Commission in London.
4. It needs to be "available for transfer" to Australia. If funds are tied up in equity in a property it is usually best to approach this requirement with a view to selling the property late on in the application process, usually once the High Commission indicate that all other matters relating to the application are in good order. That said, we do have clients who have received their Retirement visa before the property has been sold.

Hope this helps - and feel able to contact me directly if your parents want help with their application.

Best regards.

Originally posted by SteveB_in_oz:
I have sponsored my parents to get out here, they have been approved (and are waiting patiently in the UK) but I know they could have to wait many years before their place in the queue arrives. I have few question that I'm hoping someone can help me with!..

1) Can they get out here on a retirement visa even though they are already in the queue on a different visa?

2) If yes, and they come over on the retirement visa, I understand that they need to go out of the country to collect the sponsored visa when it finally arrives - do they have to collect it from the UK or can they just hop over to say, NZ?

3) How long to retirement visas usually take to process?

4) Can the $650,000 of assets needed for the retirement visa be tied up in property or shares or does it need to be in actual cash in a bank.

Many thanks,

Steve