Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 103)

Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Ficklefish is on a distinguished road
Default Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 103)

Hi,

I emigrated to Australia with my spouse a few years ago and we are on the verge of getting our Australian Citizenship. My sister arrived on a Partner visa a few weeks ago.

My parents are now considering their options as both of their daughters (+ grandchildren) are now so far away. They have no other children.

Looking at their DIMIA visa options, I wondered if anyone could indicate what 'many years' means under the Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 103)? My parents are their early seventies and wondered if 'many years' would be too long for them?

Also, an indication of how long applicants have been waiting for the more costly Contributory Parent (Permanent) visa would be greatly helpful.

Many thanks for your replies.

Best wishes,
Ff
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 103)

Originally Posted by Ficklefish
Hi,

I emigrated to Australia with my spouse a few years ago and we are on the verge of getting our Australian Citizenship. My sister arrived on a Partner visa a few weeks ago.

My parents are now considering their options as both of their daughters (+ grandchildren) are now so far away. They have no other children.

Looking at their DIMIA visa options, I wondered if anyone could indicate what 'many years' means under the Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 103)? My parents are their early seventies and wondered if 'many years' would be too long for them?

Also, an indication of how long applicants have been waiting for the more costly Contributory Parent (Permanent) visa would be greatly helpful.

Many thanks for your replies.

Best wishes,
Ff
'Many years' could mean from 10 - 15 years.......that is how long it has been.

There should be a queue calculator on the DIAC website.

The PC visas around 18 months I think.

G
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:26 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
'Many years' could mean from 10 - 15 years.......that is how long it has been.

There should be a queue calculator on the DIAC website.

The PC visas around 18 months I think.

G
Yep agreed probably at least 7 but i think its more like 10.

PC have run out of 08/09 quota, but if you apply now you will probably recieve in june 2010. leave it 6 months more and it will probably be june 2011.

PC is also very expensive (~60,000AUD for two people). Quite a few come here on a long tourist visa to wait it out (but note its not a migrant visa - just a visitor visa - so there are no benefits or permancy - if you just want to be together (and i doubt your parents at 70 will want to work) its could be a good short term option.).
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies.

Looking at the visa information on DIMIA, I thought the cost of c.$30k was per application i.e. for main applicant and spouse.

Would my parents have to make separate applications and both pay the app. fee + the $30k?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Ff
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.

Looking at the visa information on DIMIA, I thought the cost of c.$30k was per application i.e. for main applicant and spouse.

Would my parents have to make separate applications and both pay the app. fee + the $30k?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Ff
The fees are for each person

Plus an AOS bond of $14000 for a couple

I have a PC visa

G
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Minor detail !!!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:36 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Minor detail !!!
They can apply together and pay on the single app fee, but the second payment is per-person!