Wikiposts

Packing boxes

Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

sue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura about
Default Packing boxes

I want to send some of my stuff over to Oz now. Not sure which company to use. Only taking 4 or 5 boxes. Selling house lock stock and barrel. Any advice welcome.

Sue
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:01 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Packing boxes

Originally Posted by sue_parker
I want to send some of my stuff over to Oz now. Not sure which company to use. Only taking 4 or 5 boxes. Selling house lock stock and barrel. Any advice welcome.

Sue

HI Sue,

Check out the lifestyle and culture forum for the most information. I sent my 6 boxes with Seven Seas and were very happy with the service and cost.
http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/uk
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

sue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mlbonner
HI Sue,

Check out the lifestyle and culture forum for the most information. I sent my 6 boxes with Seven Seas and were very happy with the service and cost.
http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/uk
Thanks for that mlbonner. Another question though. The site mentions the weight of the cartons, but what about the size of them. We are only taking personal papers, childs' toys etc. I need to know the size of the boxes so I know how many to order. Know I sound thick but have never sent packing boxes overseas before.

Sue
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:43 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Thanks for that mlbonner. Another question though. The site mentions the weight of the cartons, but what about the size of them. We are only taking personal papers, childs' toys etc. I need to know the size of the boxes so I know how many to order. Know I sound thick but have never sent packing boxes overseas before.

Sue

I'll measure mine for you!

Basically though, you can over-order and they take back what you don't use with no cost.

In my boxes I had a stereo, some picture frames, LOTS of shoes and clothes, 2 smaller book boxes (with, you guessed it, books). Some photo albums, couple of little ornament things, a chinese dinner set and some ski gear... This took 4 large and 2 smaller boxes. I think originally I ordered 10 boxes though and just gave them back.

... okay, will go and find a tape measure!

[edit]
okay, the boxes are 60*50*40 It is quite hard to work out, but given the amount of stuff (and toys!) you say you're taking over I would be tempted to order, maybe 10 or 12 boxes, of different sizes, then you just give back what you dont need! I think most shipping companies will do this for you. www.excessbaggage.com and http://www.johnmason.com/int_home.html or two other recommended companies.

Last edited by mlbonner; Oct 14th 2004 at 10:50 am. Reason: extra info
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a fairly standard box size, mine were about the same, and yes, I just returned the stuff I didn't use. I also bought a huge reel of bubble wrap from them, which was excellent - cushioned everything, and I'm sure it helped prevent breakages.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Sue
Hows this?
http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/uk...g_cartons.html
Old Oct 14th 2004, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

Sue
Old Oct 14th 2004, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

Sue
I'm also sending stuff with Seven Seas coz loads of friends have used them in the passed few months and have been pretty happy with service and cost too. Just one thing to remember is that each box can not exceed 40kg - regardless if it's a Tea chest or Book box. Had a friend who had to unpack a big box into two smaller ones coz the driver couldn't pick it up - and it had to be done while he waited...Doesn't help with stress levels!! I've been advised by Seven Seas to pack all crockery into book boxes as it's safer for them and it covers the weight issue!!

Happy Packing!
Old Oct 14th 2004, 8:45 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by nmccallum
I'm also sending stuff with Seven Seas coz loads of friends have used them in the passed few months and have been pretty happy with service and cost too. Just one thing to remember is that each box can not exceed 40kg - regardless if it's a Tea chest or Book box. Had a friend who had to unpack a big box into two smaller ones coz the driver couldn't pick it up - and it had to be done while he waited...Doesn't help with stress levels!! I've been advised by Seven Seas to pack all crockery into book boxes as it's safer for them and it covers the weight issue!!

Happy Packing!

This is what I thought of them, if it helps!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...eels+christmas