OZ: Parents-In-Law Visa

Old May 16th 2002, 1:20 pm
Toecutter

Default OZ: Parents-In-Law Visa

We have just applied for PR in OZ and my wife's parents already have two brothers in
OZ both citizens. What is the best route my parents in law to join us in Australia at
the same time (e.g in seven months). I suspect it is a temporary retirement visa but
what about the family reunion category?

Thanks.

Old May 16th 2002, 9:20 pm
George Lombard

Default Re: Parents-In-Law Visa

Hi Toecutter,

If both parents are still alive then temporary retirement is an option, however if
they are old enough they could come here on any visa and then apply for parent visas
and sit out their 45 year wait in Australia.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au toecutter wrote in message ...
    >We have just applied for PR in OZ and my wife's parents already have two brothers in
    >OZ both citizens. What is the best route my parents in law to join us in Australia
    >at the same time (e.g in seven months). I suspect it is a temporary retirement visa
    >but what about the family reunion category?
    >
    >Thanks.

Old May 17th 2002, 10:20 am
Jaj

Default Re: OZ: Parents-In-Law Visa

There have been numerous threads on the subject of parent migration - broadly, the
waiting period at the moment is going to be 40 years + based on current visa supply.

If the opposition parties drop their opposition to Government proposals in the Senate
then visas would be made available, but you are looking at charges in the region of
A$25k to cover health costs. Keep an eye on the DIMIA site for details.

Otherwise it's a temporary visa, and there are issues as to whether it's advisable
to dispose of a home etc in your original country and move to Australia 100% on a
non-PR status.

Jeremy

>On 16 May 2002 05:48:58 -0700, [email protected] (toecutter) wrote:

>We have just applied for PR in OZ and my wife's parents already have two brothers in
    >OZ both citizens. What is the best route my parents in law to join us in Australia
    >at the same time (e.g in seven months). I suspect it is a temporary retirement visa
    >but what about the family reunion category?
    >
    >Thanks.