Oz Medical Insurance

Old Aug 28th 2002, 3:18 am
Hills

Default Re: Oz Medical Insurance

Alan Collett wrote:

> Hi Mark.
    > Well if its any guide we (that's me, wife and two children aged 11 and
    > 5) have comprehensive cover with one of the local Aussie health funds and it costs
    > us A$175.90 a month => A$2,110 per annum.
    > Generally there are waiting periods with most insurers before you are can claim for
    > certain ailments - but that isn't the same as never insuring pre-existing
    > conditions, as is often the case with private health insurers in the UK.
    > So on balance I'd not be going with BUPA International and would be looking into
    > an indication of costs from a health fund in Australia ... on which note this page
    > from the Go Matilda website might be helpful: http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=1-
    > 02

> Best regards.

But Alan, the Australian funds' 'waiting periods' would rule out maternity coverage,
and I think he said the baby is due in December... Maybe he'll have to stick with the
current company until after the birth? Then switch to a local health fund? LJ

> Originally posted by bsftaylorm: <snip>

> . We have 2 small daughters, and my wife is
    > > expecting our third baby in December.

Old Aug 28th 2002, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

bsftaylorm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oz Medical Insurance

Hi guys - need your help.

Leaving the UK in 4 weeks, landing in Brisbane for good on 4 October.

My wife and I are currently members of employment related health schemes - both BUPA. We have 2 small daughters, and my wife is expecting our third baby in December.

We got a quote to transfer our employment cover to BUPA INternational (bearing in mind we have never claimed) and they want a whopping £2,500 per year for us all. Is it me, or is that extortionate?

We want to have decent health insurance, and we do not want to lose any benefits we may have accrued through our employment related schemes. We also want to cover my wife for routine matenity. (I realise we probably want it all!)

Is there a better option than to go with BUPA International?

Your thoughts would, as ever, be much appreciated.

Mark, Kelly, Phoebe & Maisie
Old Aug 28th 2002, 9:33 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mark.

Well if its any guide we (that's me, wife and two children aged 11 and 5) have comprehensive cover with one of the local Aussie health funds and it costs us A$175.90 a month => A$2,110 per annum.

Generally there are waiting periods with most insurers before you are can claim for certain ailments - but that isn't the same as never insuring pre-existing conditions, as is often the case with private health insurers in the UK.

So on balance I'd not be going with BUPA International and would be looking into an indication of costs from a health fund in Australia ... on which note this page from the Go Matilda website might be helpful:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=102

Best regards.

Originally posted by bsftaylorm:
Hi guys - need your help.

Leaving the UK in 4 weeks, landing in Brisbane for good on 4 October.

My wife and I are currently members of employment related health schemes - both BUPA. We have 2 small daughters, and my wife is expecting our third baby in December.

We got a quote to transfer our employment cover to BUPA INternational (bearing in mind we have never claimed) and they want a whopping £2,500 per year for us all. Is it me, or is that extortionate?

We want to have decent health insurance, and we do not want to lose any benefits we may have accrued through our employment related schemes. We also want to cover my wife for routine matenity. (I realise we probably want it all!)

Is there a better option than to go with BUPA International?

Your thoughts would, as ever, be much appreciated.

Mark, Kelly, Phoebe & Maisie
Old Aug 29th 2002, 3:33 am
Hills

bsftaylorm wrote:

> Unfortunately, the current company have just said they will not cover us for
    > maternity anyway (they tend not to in the UK)

What????

> so I guess the only question is, will we be able to transfer to an Aussie insurer
    > without the waiting times - I realise that we will be highly unlikely to be covered
    > for maternity anyway.

Probably. You'll need to ask them, and I don't have the URL's. someone will though!

> Know any good maternity hospitals in Brisbane - preferrably private??????

Yes. Which side of town? Wesley Hospital, Auchenflower (inner south-west) North-West
Private, Everton Hills (it's obvious)

Royal Brisbane, Herston (central - both private and public) Mater Mothers, South
Brisbane (central- both private and public, best premmie hospital)

High risk? Go for the Royal or Mater, otherwise whichever is close and can
fit you in!

(Just read the next post - North West Private is the one closest to Ferny Hills)

>From memory, the labour suite was about $500, and the room about $200
per night at the Mater. Doctor's fees on top of that. Don't know what they'd charge
you, as the normal 'fee' covers all ante- and post-natal care, as well as the birth.
I think it was around the $900 mark. (This was 9 years ago, so don't trust my
memory). LJ

Old Aug 29th 2002, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Unfortunately, the current company have just said they will not cover us for maternity anyway (they tend not to in the UK) so I guess the only question is, will we be able to transfer to an Aussie insurer without the waiting times - I realise that we will be highly unlikely to be covered for maternity anyway.

Know any good maternity hospitals in Brisbane - preferrably private??????

Mark
Old Aug 29th 2002, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bsftaylorm:
Unfortunately, the current company have just said they will not cover us for maternity anyway (they tend not to in the UK) so I guess the only question is, will we be able to transfer to an Aussie insurer without the waiting times - I realise that we will be highly unlikely to be covered for maternity anyway.

Know any good maternity hospitals in Brisbane - preferrably private??????

Mark [/QUOTE
Hi
The waiting period is only for maternity care,usually 10 mths and psychiatric illness. Where in Brisbane are you going? There's Sunnybank Private and the mater misicordae that I can think at the moment
Susan
Old Aug 29th 2002, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by susmac:
Hi
The waiting period is only for maternity care,usually 10 mths and psychiatric illness. Where in Brisbane are you going? There's Sunnybank Private and the mater misicordae that I can think at the moment
Susan
That's what I suspected.

We will be in the CBD initially, but by the time the baby is due we hope to be on the Northside somewhere, probably Ferny Hills. Depends on Jobs though!

Thanks for your help Susan.

Mark & Kelly