British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   overweight for medical (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/overweight-medical-499585/)

ittakesages Dec 13th 2007 12:16 pm

overweight for medical

Has anyone been overweight for their medical? I have a BMI of 31 and my husbands BMI is 37. Our meds are booked for mid Jan and with the best will in the world my husbands will still be over 30. Is it going to be a problem?

BethandAndrew Dec 13th 2007 12:20 pm

Re: overweight for medical

Originally Posted by ittakesages (Post 5664141)
Has anyone been overweight for their medical? I have a BMI of 31 and my husbands BMI is 37. Our meds are booked for mid Jan and with the best will in the world my husbands will still be over 30. Is it going to be a problem?

LOL.......I don't think many people are the perfect weight for their medical :lol:
I am about 3 stone overweight for my height with a BMI of 31........(should be under 25!!!) and I passed the medical with no problems :thumbsup:
Beth x x :wub:

ittakesages Dec 13th 2007 12:22 pm

Thanks for that Beth. Our agent seems to think we will be fine but having been overweight all of my life (apart from my wedding day!) you get used to the problems it can bring!
Well done on your visa btw. You are a super star on this site and you deserve it!
Linda

BethandAndrew Dec 13th 2007 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by ittakesages (Post 5664157)
Thanks for that Beth. Our agent seems to think we will be fine but having been overweight all of my life (apart from my wedding day!) you get used to the problems it can bring!
Well done on your visa btw. You are a super star on this site and you deserve it!
Linda

LOL......me a super star?!!!!! :eek:
I was worried about going for my medical, so I rung the med centre, who told me that your BMI is only taken into account if you are emigrating to NZ.......and they only worry about you being overweight if you also have problems like high blood pressure etc.
Anyway, who wants to be a size 0 with bones sticking out?!!!!!! I've got my lurve handles and they are here to stay!!!!! hee hee :thumbsup:

ittakesages Dec 13th 2007 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew (Post 5664174)
LOL......me a super star?!!!!! :eek:
I was worried about going for my medical, so I rung the med centre, who told me that your BMI is only taken into account if you are emigrating to NZ.......and they only worry about you being overweight if you also have problems like high blood pressure etc.
Anyway, who wants to be a size 0 with bones sticking out?!!!!!! I've got my lurve handles and they are here to stay!!!!! hee hee :thumbsup:

Yep, like I say you are a super star!!

Trakki1976 Dec 13th 2007 1:14 pm

If you are otherwise fit and healthy and your size does not stop you from living a normal life or cause problem, ie high blood pressure etc then you will be fine. My BMI was 33 when I had my medical and my weight wasn't even mentioned. They did not work out my BMI, I did that before I went. My med was done on 13th Nov and sent off to OZ on 19th Nov, they were finalised on 6th December so I wouldn't worry.

HTH

Tracey

Iwannabethere Dec 13th 2007 3:01 pm

BMI 45. Got visa. Wish I had your BMI though!

No worries!

ittakesages Dec 13th 2007 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere (Post 5664572)
BMI 45. Got visa. Wish I had your BMI though!

No worries!

Oh wow, thanks that's great to hear - thanks. I must add that I have lost 2 stone and my OH has lost 3 stone to get to those BMIs!!:rofl:

Simon.and.Kate Dec 14th 2007 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by ittakesages (Post 5664141)

Hi 'ittakesages',

off topic, but I was just looking at the timelines on www.beupdate.co.uk and noticed that it says you've submitted a 136 visa, in December.

I thought that the 136 no longer exists since Sept 1st?
(replaced by the 175/176)
Is that a 'typo'?

geelong Dec 14th 2007 3:42 pm

I got through without a problem and I am short for my weight:p

ittakesages Dec 14th 2007 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate (Post 5668430)
Hi 'ittakesages',

off topic, but I was just looking at the timelines on www.beupdate.co.uk and noticed that it says you've submitted a 136 visa, in December.

I thought that the 136 no longer exists since Sept 1st?
(replaced by the 175/176)
Is that a 'typo'?

You are absolutely right - thanks for that. It was a typo. We are on the 175, they were next to each other on the drop list!:rofl:

ittakesages Dec 14th 2007 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by geelong (Post 5668495)
I got through without a problem and I am short for my weight:p

I've been to the herbalist today for something that is calming! I think I will lose the weight through stress between now and then anyway:rofl:

Katsmajics other half !!! Dec 14th 2007 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by ittakesages (Post 5668575)
I've been to the herbalist today for something that is calming! I think I will lose the weight through stress between now and then anyway:rofl:

My BMI was 39.5 meds went ok apart from them fudging up my chest xray :frown:and had to have more tests regarding an alleged anlarged heart.........which 4 weeks later turned out to be ok.

My cardiologist said there aint nowt wrong with my heart:thumbup:

We got our VISA and were off in April to Adelaide. Bring it on .:thumbsup:

confuzzled Dec 15th 2007 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ittakesages (Post 5664675)
Oh wow, thanks that's great to hear - thanks. I must add that I have lost 2 stone and my OH has lost 3 stone to get to those BMIs!!:rofl:

Hey- i want tips ;-) I dont need a medical since i am going home not emigrating but i do have to lose a few inches since i bought my wedding dress a little too small :-)

Good luck BTW

aston man Dec 15th 2007 10:25 am

Originally Posted by confuzzled (Post 5671312)
Hey- i want tips ;-) I dont need a medical since i am going home not emigrating but i do have to lose a few inches since i bought my wedding dress a little too small :-)

Good luck BTW

be carefull not to loose to much weight before your med...

i lost about 2 stone in weeks,,,it caused a kidney infection and i failed the med...

ast