Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Over 45 with Multiple Sclerosis - should I give up now?

Over 45 with Multiple Sclerosis - should I give up now?

Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

needtherapy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Over 45 with Multiple Sclerosis - should I give up now?

I am considering applying when the age limit increases to 49 this summer, if proposed change in law materialises. Both my husband and myself are in careers that are on the au gov wanted list. The bonus I have is my brother is a citizen living in Brisbane and is willing to sponsor us. The downside is I was diagnosed with MS about 11 years ago. I am barely taking any meds and have had no relapses for at least 9 years so doctors are confirming its pretty stable. Will this be my nemisis? If we went through application on husbands skills would my chances be better? Dont want to go down the route of employing agent if its a pointless excercise.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: Over 45 with Multiple Sclerosis - should I give up now?

Not sure, but they're was a post within the last week or so from someone who is in recruitment and was offered a job. They too had MS.

See if you can find it as it may give you some further information.

You may need a mara agent to advise you.

Last edited by mvagusta; Jan 30th 2011 at 5:28 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:24 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mvagusta
Not sure, but they're was a post within the last week or so from someone who is in recruitment and was offered a job. They too had MS.
Every case is different. It's possible that the person you mentioned was coming over on a temporary visa which doesn't have the same stringent health requirement.

The posters best bet is to talk to a migration agent who specializes in health issues.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

dl4e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 45 with Multiple Sclerosis - should I give up now?

The new points system will come into effect in July this year so you can lodge your application then. As for the medical condition all applicants go through the medical exam. If you both could prove the required skills you will get 5 points more on your application and it would be considered positively that your husband is skilled too. As wether it would be better if he was the main application, I'm not sure.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:15 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

If one family member fails medicals, the whole application is rejected, no matter whether that is a primary or a secondary applicant. Medicals will be the same for both primary and secondary anyway, so what you really want to consider is who has a better shot at having their skills assessed(like in solid education and work history) and scoring enough points on the points test. Another thing to factor in is a possibility to obtain state sponsorship for a **somewhat** faster processing in exchange for living in a specified area for 2 years and extra points.

As to your health predicament, you need to consult with an agent with good experience in handling medical issues. Peter Bollard's name came up most often in regards to that, do a search on this forums for his contact details.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't possible to say who is the better main applicant as you have not said what your occupations are. Are you comfortable you would both pass the points test or is it easier for one rather than the other.

You mention brother is a bonus, I am not sure if it will have the same points advantage as it does now. In which case it won't mean a great deal, other than it would be nice to have a brother there.

Regarding the MS I do recommend you consult a migration agent not a forum before you go much further. Always a good idea when there are health issues.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by needtherapy
I am considering applying when the age limit increases to 49 this summer, if proposed change in law materialises. Both my husband and myself are in careers that are on the au gov wanted list. The bonus I have is my brother is a citizen living in Brisbane and is willing to sponsor us. The downside is I was diagnosed with MS about 11 years ago. I am barely taking any meds and have had no relapses for at least 9 years so doctors are confirming its pretty stable. Will this be my nemisis? If we went through application on husbands skills would my chances be better? Dont want to go down the route of employing agent if its a pointless excercise.
You still need to look to see if you are otherwise eligible to migrate. Jobs, etc, won't be enough - you need to see if you have the points or can get in another way, eg with state or employer sponsorship. Do that research now.

If yes, then you do need to look at the medical situation. You should find one of the few agents out there that deals in medical cases, eg George Lombard or Peter Bollard. Both in Sydney - check forum for contact details.
Be prepared to pay for professional assistance and while the medical outlook (in terms of immigration admissibility where no health waiver is available) for MS is normally not good there may always be an exception in mild or controlled cases.